Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #1

"The Fear"

I know a lot of people on here have gotten their cars vadalized and that topic has been covered numerous times, even A "where do you park" thread came up, but do you sometimes second guess yourself when driving your Porsche somewhere (or parking it)? I'm the paranoid type to probably do a walk-around to check my car everytime I come back to it, and sure, I can probably park far far away but that only makes it stand out more, and parking closer provides cover for a vandal to do damage (by other cars), anmd then there's the possibility of idiot slamming their doors into it.....with the issue of where to park when not in use aside... Is there always a fear in the back of your mind something will happen to it...? I know that someone will do what they want to do no matter when, what time, or where your car is, and that it's useless to live in fear of something happening, but what steps do you take besides the usual "good lighting, far away" common sense type precautions? Or do you just not care and have a free mind (lucky you!)?

Last edited by Nineteen89; 01-05-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

Get CCW permit and practice practice pratice. LOL.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Well I'm more than likely going into a law-enforcement type field as I'm studying criminal justice in school, and I think they'd be stupid to mess with say, a cop's car... of course they wouldn't know it belongs to one though so I'm more curious as to what YOU the reader does/think about the issue + your own car.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
No I don't worry,I have insurance. I've even left my car outside overnight in the most dangerous/ghetto place in Sacramento and it was fine. All that has happened in 3+ years of my Porsche ownership was an unsuccessful attempt at breaking in through the plastic window. Retards couldn't do the job and just scratched up the window lol. Other then that co-workers thought it would be funny to surrand wrap my car one day......they have never touched my car or spoken to me about my car since.

Just don't park next to scrapers(people probably dont care about their own care),old people(wouldnt even know if they hit another car or person),vans(kids),suvs(kids) or squeeze your car in between two spots and you'll be fine.

You paid good money for your car,use it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

I agree, don't worry. The first truck you get behind on the highway will kick a stone at your windshield anyways. Drive the car and have fun. Don't worship it.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #6

Yeah you guys are probably right, lot's of people put these cars on a pedestal, and the cars deserve to be, but I think I'm doing it too, to the point where I'd be hesitant to enjoy it to the fullest, thanks for the encouraging words!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #7

I hear ya there. I have a tendancy to make other people drive as much as possible or take my work vehicle if I know I'm going to be leaving my car unattended for some time. It sucks that people in this world have no regard for other people's stuff...but hey, welcome to America.

Good point though, even people who are the most careful are just as prone to accidents, rocks and door dings. The harsh reality is that it's the "UN-luck-of-the-draw"
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #8

I love my car, but I honestly don't think that a Boxster is "exotic" enough to make people want to screw it up just for the sake of screwing/vandalizing some "nice" car.

There are people out there who will vandalize a car for literally no reason, other than they are jealous, but I bet a far greater percentage of auto vandalisms are tied to some kind of "incident" or motive directed more at the driver than the car.

Maybe it's a racial thing and you are of a nationality that some ignorant person hates - maybe you inadvertently cut someone off - maybe you parked in a spot that someone thinks is "theirs"...etc etc...

to think that just by parking my car in front of Costco, or the mall, etc..that someone will walk by a key it for no reason - I kind of think that is rare. maybe leaving the top down would encourage teenagers to spit in it, or someone to lean in and try to rummage through the car....but just sitting thee, top up, I don't think the car is tye type to "invite" vandalism.

to the person who got their top messed with - i have had two convertibles, a miata years ago, and now the Porsche. I used to NEVER lock my miata. i woudl leave the doors unlocked on purpose - someone once told me that if you have a convertible and somene is going to break in to rummage through your glove box or ashtray (for change) just leave it unlocked, they can take your change and they won't cut the top. cutting the top up will cost you thousands and at the very least a deductibble... my miata was "burglarized" once and I lost a few bucks in change from my coin holder - but no one ever stole CDs, the radio and ai left it unlocked everywhere for year...i drove that car a good 50k miles before i got rid of it...

although I have never left the porsche unlocked.. i have however left it wtih the top down when I know I will be "right back" and the weather is nice out and there are no trees overhead that might drip sap, bird poops, etc...
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89
Yeah you guys are probably right, lot's of people put these cars on a pedestal, and the cars deserve to be, but I think I'm doing it too, to the point where I'd be hesitant to enjoy it to the fullest, thanks for the encouraging words!
It's one thing to put your car on a pedestal. It's another to take care of it -and I'm all for going the extra distance to take care of it. Mind where you park it and keep it insured.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I honestly don't think that a Boxster is "exotic" enough to make people want to screw it up just for the sake of screwing/vandalizing some "nice" car.
In LA, Miami, NYC? No.

In the ghetto part of any city? Yes.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #11

Garage
Nineteen89,

Paranoia will destroy 'ya. I find that if I treat my car like any other car and not a piece of jewelry that things will be fine. You can park in the back 40 of a parking lot and someone will always park next to you. I park right in the thick of the lot and nothing has happened yet. I can tell you that if you park in the middle of the space that a Boxster is small enough that there's allot of space for the other cars. Speaking of, park next to nice cars and not hoopties.

Those owners will appreciate the Porsche and might leave you money under the wiper just for the honor.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #12

I always take care to avoid problem parking areas, etc, but my car is pleasure, not a driver. If someone wants to hurt your car, they will seek you out no matter what. Every summer I would spend time at a very nice resort and someone would always steal something off one of my cars...kids, I'm sure. I quit replacing the nice beveled stem caps on my wheels since all the kids had them on their bikes or around their necks.

But never I have actually had someone do harm, unless you consider "wash me" or "you suck" inscribed on a dusty car after a day at the track.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #13

Simple philosophy

You own the car, the car does not own you.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #14

So what I should take away from this is:

"Enjoy the car to the fullest, without being over-protective, but exercise common sense (aka not parking your car top-down in the ghetto @ night lol)."

You guys instilled some ease in me, I get over-worried with simple things, now I'm not so worried, and if anything does ever happen, insurance is always a plan b. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #15

My Box had 3 dents put in the front fender when I was parked in the North 40. I ended up getting a very nice respray on the fender and beyond and a lot of rock chips removed for $200.00. Would of rather not went through the trouble but insurance covered the actions of some very disturbed individual. I now park, with discretion, where everyone else parks and have had no trouble. You only have to be afraid if you have no insurance. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen89
So what I should take away from this is:

"Enjoy the car to the fullest, without being over-protective, but exercise common sense (aka not parking your car top-down in the ghetto @ night lol)."

You guys instilled some ease in me, I get over-worried with simple things, now I'm not so worried, and if anything does ever happen, insurance is always a plan b. Thanks!

Bingo. We all know of some people who enjoy their cars much less due to their excessive concern over it. Remember this...most likely, every car you own between now and your advanced years will be shredded and recycled into something else before you are. If you buy it, drive it and enjoy it.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #17

The older I get the less I obsess and the more i say that's why I have insurance. if you cannot enjoy it in the way you intended to you might need to reconsider what you own and why or make a minor outlook adjustment

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #18

After I got my body kit on my car I reduced my insurance deductible for comprehensive to $0. It only cost me something like $47/yr. I think that's worth it just to decrease the worry a bit. Like many here I still use common sense and don't try to squeeze the car into too tight of a spot and park away from other cars or park on their passenger side when possible. I also agree that whether or not your car is "exotic" totally depends on the environment. I live in a fairly rural area so my car is pretty exotic for the town.

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote