Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Installing a new convertible top....

The back window on my car has had two very small splits in each corner for about the last 7-8 months now. I had been planning on purchasing a new top at the end of summer but since the window was holding up and funds were tight, had put it off. I purchased a GAHH (actually is a robbins it seems) top recently as I wanted to convert to the glass window to avoid having to "chop" the stock plastic window in the future. Sure enough, just a few days after receiving the new top, the original window split on one side about 6" and I am now looking to install the new top in the next few weeks when time and the weather permits. I have the 101 projects book and have read through it, and the additional info on mike focke's website and have gathered that I need to purchase some 3M 06384 double sided tape, the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and potentially the plastic sliders and hardware that goes with them for each side (MY 2000). Is there anything else that I am missing that I need to order? I am going to try and do this myself as there is no one in the area that is recommended by the manufacturer and there are only a handful of boxsters in the area so the likelihood of someone doing this before is pretty small not to mention I do not feel like paying what some people are wanting to install the top. I know it will be a challenge but plan to take my time and will have some help from my dad.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

If you haven't been able to source the foam seals that are installed under the top (directly above the windows), you should make your own seals from foam rubber material. There are a couple of photos of the seals on the article in Mike Focke's website. If you need more photos, I may have a few more. Let me know and I will try to track them down.

Also, make sure that you have some clamps on hand to properly hold the canvas in place after it is folded over the leading edge of the frame.

Having some lubricant available for rubber can also help when you are pressing the three rubber gaskets in place into the channels on the rear main bow.

If you take your time and follow the instructions without cutting any corners, you will have an excellent result.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 01-14-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: add more information
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

I second Maurice! I was hesitant when I tackled my top replacement. But it actually went rather well. I credit my success to your same resources. I read up in the 101 projects book, mikefocke's website (which was actually written by Maurice? The same Maurice as schoir?) and countless other threads here on this forum and the many other Boxster related forums out there.

Just FYI, I didn't want to do the install on my own until the local shop told me they were way backlogged and I probably wouldn't have gotten my top done for nearly a month. But when it was all said and done, I was glad! It's intimidating at first, but very doable, and very rewarding to do it yourself. Shop wanted $1,625. I paid $925 to do it myself and saved $700! Took me 6.5 hours, so in effect paid myself $107.69/hr to do it.

Call me if you have any issues and I'll try to help. I'll PM you my number soon.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Most auto parts shops have the 6 ft 3M tape. I found a 15 ft roll at Advance Auto for only a couple dollars more! I bought two widths; 6 ft of the narrow type and 15 ft of the wider.

You only need the plastic sliders if yours aren't the newer version that has the extension. You can see by looking at them in your car, they're visible from the driver's seat. Definitely get the plastic clamps, though. They're very suseptible to breakage when removing.

bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote