Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

Post To buy a newer year or a lower mileage boxster: That is the question ;)

Im looking to upgrade from my '94 miata to a boxster. After looking at the cars for sale on both craigslist and ebay i notice that prices vary wildly between year and mileage. im looking for a pre 2006 and the cost isnt worth it for me in a newer boxster. So, im asking this forum's advise - is it more important to get a newer boxster with high mileage (50-80k not more than that) or get a newer car?? are there a lot of changes between model years in this car (i know the 2005- up is a major redesign)? thank you all.

Last edited by GoddamSkippy; 12-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.
GoddamSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #2

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Read "tips on buying a boxster".

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/modelyeardifferences

This is a good page for reference.

Buy one with less mileage is a higher priority for most, but try to avoid anything older than '03 since it has a glass rear window starting that year.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Read "tips on buying a boxster".

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/modelyeardifferences

This is a good page for reference.

Buy one with less mileage is a higher priority for most, but try to avoid anything older than '03 since it has a glass rear window starting that year.

Thank you for the info!! so it looks like its between a 2003 and a 2005 (i dont see any significant differences between the 2003 and 2004). im guessing the price difference between these is 14k vs 24k? is it worth it to go for the 2005? does anyone have any opinions and has been in both cars? thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #4

Buy the newest boxster S you can afford and ensure it has factory warranty on it.

I highly discourage anyone from buying a boxster with a) the smaller engine and b) no warranty on it and c) with mileage exceeding 50k....

The suspension, wheel bearings, sensors, and other expensive bits of the car wear out in the 50k+ mileage area and this car is NOT like any Japanese or domestic brand you've owned before.

With that said, buy an older, higher mileage boxster at your own risk, knowing you will probably fork over $2k a year for the first couple of years for maintenance if you find a good indy mechanic and buy the parts cheap from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Double that amount per year if you're foolish enough to take it to a stealership.

... I'm glad I don't have strong opinions about this, huh?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #5

I think it also depends on how the car will be driven; daily or weekend driver?
Will it be street driven only or do you autocross/track days?

I bought a 2002 S three years ago with 8200 miles on the clock. I could have bought a newer, but higher mileage car, but chose this for the low miles and S options (larger motor, big brakes, all important to me). The car now has 15k miles and has been flawless, requiring only oil changes. Even the rear plastic window is in like new condition.

If this is to be your daily driver, I would seek a car with a warranty, as problems do occur and they are expensive to fix.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #6

ditto on forking over a significant amount for the first couple years. Many people figure they are going to sell their car almost a year before the actually sell it. Because of this they don't really care too much about the maintenance or how they drive it. I know i forked over quite a bit when I bought mine and still have some small things to fix....

But, I highly suggest the best S you can find/afford.

Good luck, should be easier pickings right now with the car market in its current state and it being December. Don't be afraid to haggle!

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the info guys. I have a cadillac CTS which i'll be changing into my daily driver, especially for the winter. the boxster will probably be my "Nice Day" car and maybe the car to drive when traveling to see family in DC/boston from ny in the spring/summer/fall. Im guessing that prices for "S" cars is closer to stock cars when looking at used cars. What should I expect to spend on an 03 S? im guessing that they wouldnt have a warranty but i guess i can get an aftermarket one.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #8

So i looked over ebay and C*Listhelper.com and see that prices for an '03 boxster is around 17,500 and for a boxster S about 20k with around 40-60k miles. do these prices sound about right? am i gettin my moneys worth for the extra 2,500 that i would spend on the S? im guessing these prices will be lower after the new year. thanks.

Last edited by GoddamSkippy; 12-17-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Since it is going to be a weekend car, get the S. Just know that the less Boxsters are driven the more problems they tend to have (They don't like sitting in storage).

I would personally vote in favor of lower mileage, because you will get more life out of the car. You need to find middle ground between the year, mileage, and how you intend to use you. I would be look for an '03 S with about 30-35K miles, there are plenty of deals to be found in this economy. It's a buyers market.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #10

I would vote for low mileage AND a Boxster that has been properly maintained. I have seen Boxster examples for sale that have fewer than 10,000 miles, but have only had one oil change in 5 years. That shows some lack of care. Even if the car is not driven regularly, it should have periodic maintenance performed at regular intervals. Lastly, buy the latest model year that fits your budget. From reading your responses above, 2003 will be a sweet spot of mileage and late year. Good luck in your search, you should do well in this "buyer's" market.
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 12-17-2008 at 02:19 PM.
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #11

Problem Solved

Buy my car for $15k. If your budget is higher, spend the rest on your own personal mods.

Make sure you have tons of documented maintenance records. (I do)
Make sure it has been well taken care of. (Mine has)
Load up on options. (Mine is)
Tires are pricey, make sure it's got good tires. (Virtually new)
Most Boxsters look the same, get a head turner (Nailed it)
If you live in an area that gets cold, you may want a hard top. (So toasty)
Low mileage is ideal. (Less than 6k/year over here)
Owned/Cared for by fanatic. (Hello?!?)

Sure, it's not an S, but the 5 speeds is more fun!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/962242486.html

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 12-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #12

newer = better
lower miles = better
warranty = better
Better = $$$

like all things in life - you OFTEN get what you pay for.

only you know how much you are comfortable spending.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
newer = better
lower miles = better
warranty = better
Better = $$$
So true... just ask "the Jones."

It's your money, go for VALUE. Be a financial wizard and spend LESS than you are able.

(Seriously, I want a 911 -that will happen when you BUY MY CAR!)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Buy my car for $15k. If your budget is higher, spend the rest on your own personal mods.

Make sure you have tons of documented maintenance records. (I do)
Make sure it has been well taken care of. (Mine has)
Load up on options. (Mine is)
Tires are pricey, make sure it's got good tires. (Virtually new)
Most Boxsters look the same, get a head turner (Nailed it)
If you live in an area that gets cold, you may want a hard top. (So toasty)
Low mileage is ideal. (Less than 6k/year over here)
Owned/Cared for by fanatic. (Hello?!?)

Sure, it's not an S, but the 5 speeds is more fun!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/936033579.html

Thats a pretty good price if the car didnt have any major accidents
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
Thats a pretty good price if the car didnt have any major accidents
OUCH!! That hurts .
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #16

Ouch?

Does this count as a "major accident?"

(Thank God for Careflite.)

Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Does this count as a "major accident?"

(Thank God for Careflite.)
Jeph, I had almost the same accident, except that the bumper was broken beneath so that they were not really visible. I replaced it with the exact factory OEM one though and it was not exactly cheap through porsche dealer.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #18

I'll add my 2 cents.

1) I don't think that it matters whether you get a Boxster or Boxster S. Two friends have had both and say that the fun factor is the same.

2) These cars cost money to maintain. Don't buy a car that doesn't have maintenance records.

3) I would not buy a used Porsche from a non-Porsche dealership unless it was being sold by the original owner.

4) There is a sizeable difference between the 986 and the 987 (the 987 is model year 2005 and newer in the US). Some people like the 987 and some like the 986. Decide which one you like and buy that model. If you are tall, you will find the 987 has more room which may be important.

5) Is this going to be your only car? If so then I would suggest skipping the purchase. A used Boxster is not the most reliable daily driver. Judging by your emphasis on price I would guess you are on a tight budget. This means that a major repair bill may sideline your car for a while or put you in debt. You do not want to scimp on repairs and maintenance on this car.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
I'll add my 2 cents.

1) I don't think that it matters whether you get a Boxster or Boxster S. Two friends have had both and say that the fun factor is the same.

2) These cars cost money to maintain. Don't buy a car that doesn't have maintenance records.

3) I would not buy a used Porsche from a non-Porsche dealership unless it was being sold by the original owner.

4) There is a sizeable difference between the 986 and the 987 (the 987 is model year 2005 and newer in the US). Some people like the 987 and some like the 986. Decide which one you like and buy that model. If you are tall, you will find the 987 has more room which may be important.

5) Is this going to be your only car? If so then I would suggest skipping the purchase. A used Boxster is not the most reliable daily driver. Judging by your emphasis on price I would guess you are on a tight budget. This means that a major repair bill may sideline your car for a while or put you in debt. You do not want to scimp on repairs and maintenance on this car.

Thank you for the info guys - lots of good things to consider. I guess coming from the miata, where most parts are under $50 dollars (you can get a full jdm engine for 1k installed) to the porsche is pretty alarming. im going to take my time with this ans as people said its a buyers market so im hoping i can get something for a good price and have some money stuffed away for maintenance and repairs.

Jeph, Congrats as you havea beautiful boxster and it looks like its in exellent shape. i have a hardtop for the miata and i know how valuable one is in the winter months here in north jersey. unfortunately im lookin for a 2003 or 2005. Thank you for the info.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #20

I had a Miata with lots of mods. Sold it in less than a day. Buyer flew up from Florida. Black, BBS RK's, Racing Beat aero ki, low profile headlights, KYB shocks and FM rear mounts. I miss that car!!!

Get the Boxster S. Don't even think about it. And get a 2000 or newer with as low a mileage as you can find (but make sure its been driven at least 3K miles a year).
Try and get one with Litronics (HID), a few interior upgrades like the nicer shifter and brake lever. Upgrades for this car are crazy expensive. better to get them on the car already.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote