Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
might sell it??!!

i feel that its a waste of a car right now for me...since i use the bike 99% of the time that its nice out, and when its crappy i use the CONVERTBLE lol.
its about to hit 80k now, is it even worth anything? hahha

another Q, would i get more with the mods? or sell off all the mods and leave cr pretty much stock with wheels and steering wheel?

and what is it worth anyways?

im not sure what i would get, or if will sell, and when to sell(summer, spring?)
with or without hardtop?

aghhh

any ideas?
anyone?
Bueler?

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #2

DJ, I'd hate to see you sell your car. But if you do, here's my opinions for what it's worth, and you got it for free

1. Convert the car back to stock if you still have your stock parts. You will only get 10% of their value at the most if they're sold with the car.

2. Considering the color of your hard top, I really have no idea if you can sell it apart from the car and make anything off it. 99% of buyers will be forced to paint it. A winter sale where you live would almost necessitate you sell it on the car.

3. Convertibles aren't worth nearly as much and don't sell well when one can't drop the top. Wait until March.

4. If you plan to buy another preowned convertible at a later date, consider keeping your car. You like it, after all! You will lose money selling it and spend more buying something else.

If you want to save money, park it for six months and take the insurance off it if you have a garage.

Prices for our cars are wildly different around the country and from buyer to buyer. However, you ain't gonna get much for your car... you will be unhappy with it's current value.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #3

Sorry to hear you're thinking of selling.

Anyhow, both the new and used markets are, in a nut shell, complete disasters these days so selling will be tough unless you find the right buyer. I'd do a quick scan on autotrader or cars.com for like MY and mileage cars in your area to get a flavor of what people are asking (not getting). With or w/out mods, there ain't a whole lot of buyers out there... might just be cheaper to keep it. If you definitely want to sell, I'd pull of the mods you can sell and get the most $ for separately but leave the "appearance" ones at that will help you justify your price more as well as set you apart from others.

Regardless, good luck w/ your decision
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

Mladen! See ya on craigslist! It's lonely there. Most of the bites are from R-tards... offering to trade their van or 80s Corvette for a PORSCHE! One guy even asked if I'd be willing to give it to him for $500/mo. I've had about 2 or 3 legitimate inquiries in the past 2 months.

If I were you, part out your mods and get it close to stock as possible. I'm looking to sell because I've now got my eye on a 345HP 40th Anniversary Carrera! Nice, huh?

So here's a reminder to lurkers and potential Boxster owners...
BUY MINE! (See link in signature)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
offering to trade their van or 80s Corvette for a PORSCHE!
Aren't most of the compliants thread about our cars is to trade it in for a Corvette? This makes perfect sense!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #6

thx for the tips guys.
as far as cost of keeping it, well its been paif for from day one, o its costing me gas and insurance money and some maintenance, so not really hitting my pocket.
i just kinda want something else haha
i have really no reason to sell it, other than that

Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #7

Your car is very unique. The color, the hardtop, the mods. Not my style, but I'm sure there are some buyers out there who would die for your car. Since you don't need the cash right now and own the car outright, I would try to sell it via autotrader or ebaymotors and price the car high. Then wait. Give the market some time to see if there is the right buyer who would appreciate your car and pay for it. If not, you always have the option of lowering the price or changing your car back to stock.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #8

About a month or so ago I test drove an M3 and foolishly toyed with the idea of trading in the Box for it. I took my mint condition '04 S to the Mercedes dealer to see what they would give me. It has 21k miles, optioned out the wazoo, including way pricey KW V3 coilovers. Original sticker was 68 grand. They offered me 23...thought the car was wonderful, but the market sucks right now. They even called around to some import car guys and nobody was interested. They said maybe Carmax could do a little better. I said thanks, keep your M3.

DJ, you won't get near what your car is worth, and you'll miss it every time you go around a sharp curve...keep it!
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
bmussatti

DJ, the car market sucks right now. You will take a bath on the car.

Your car is very personalized, and will only appeal to a very limited market. The color alone will probably rule-out +95% of Boxster shoppers.

You should keep it, it's a great car, and you had worked very hard on it.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Dj,
Nobody has cash right now. You could probably sell it for 1/2 what it is really worth or advertise it as Trade For... equal value. Your awsome pics should generate some interest. Food for thought.

I have been buying and selling cars since 1971 and I have never seen a market quite like this. Crazy times.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #11

I have a related question. I was planning on buying next winter, but if prices are that low, I might buy now. The question is, will prices be just as low a year from now, due to depreciation (assuming the economy improves)?
Thanks,
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #12

It's definitely a buyer's market right now. I'm personally keeping my Boxster forever, and ever, and ever... I love the car and have no plans to get rid of it. Now would be the worst time to sell.

If you really want something different, then just buy a different car and keep the Boxster. Who says you have to have one car only??? I keep my Box as a Friday and weekend fun car and then have a daily driver for the slog to work. With the market the way it is I'm looking at upgrading my DD and going to something nicer and newer. It helps that my DD is 21 years old and worth almost nothing, so I'm not really concerned about selling it.

As for future values and depreciation in the future, well that's a total guessing game. As I've been shopping for daily drivers I've been reading some other car forums for expensive, more exotic cars. It's funny to read their archives and how just two years ago folks were saying how their semi-exotic cars could not possibly depreciate anymore. Yet they have by 25% in those two years. Heck I was looking at an MB SLK350 used and saw the prices on those drop by 20% in just the last few months! Nobody really knows what the market is going to do, but right now it looks like it's continuing to go down (car values are going down that is). With no recovery in the economy within sight I imagine they'll continue to go down for now. If we hit a full depression, then car values on pricey semi-exotics and exotics will drop like a rock. Personally I'd hold off a little longer. I think that prices on Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, Mercedes, and Audis will continue to go down over the next few months. Highly desirable models like the M3 will hold their value better than Boxsters.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
I have a related question. I was planning on buying next winter, but if prices are that low, I might buy now. The question is, will prices be just as low a year from now, due to depreciation (assuming the economy improves)?
Thanks,
Steve
I am waiting a year, year and a half myself too. We're not anywhere near the upturn of this economy, from all the readings, writings and reserach I've looked into, I'd say we're going to be in the same state we're in now in about a year, assuming we hit our low somehwere in between then, and slowly start to climb back up. If we rebound a little faster, then it works out either way 'cause financial institutions are going to be willing to provide credit for people even more so...

+ the cars will be one year older=lowered price

Last edited by Nineteen89; 12-11-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Good luck selling it. There isn't a market for any car other then a civic or camry right now.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #15

dj,

I'll take your wheels/rims if you decide to sell & throw the stockers back on there.

PM me if you decide to go that route.

Good luck either way in your decision.

Josh
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #16

yeah i really dont need to sell it, and to buy something else and keep this in the garage is no good idea for me.
i would hate to drive some POS and have nice car in garage, i drive it right, and will not get anything worse that this, i was never a fan of driving a nice car 1 day of the week and ********************ty car 6 days a week, i worked hard and paid cash for it and i will damn enjoy it.
i dont really think i can loose money on it, since the price that i got it for is ridiculous, even at this time and that many miles and this economy, im just not sure what it really is worth.

i honestly dont want to make more payments, thats the thing, ever since i got it its been payments free since i paid cash for it.

so....1998, 80k, and some mods...whats it worht? anyone? or maybe, what would YOU pay for it?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Mladen! See ya on craigslist! It's lonely there. Most of the bites are from R-tards... offering to trade their van or 80s Corvette for a PORSCHE! One guy even asked if I'd be willing to give it to him for $500/mo. I've had about 2 or 3 legitimate inquiries in the past 2 months.

If I were you, part out your mods and get it close to stock as possible. I'm looking to sell because I've now got my eye on a 345HP 40th Anniversary Carrera! Nice, huh?

So here's a reminder to lurkers and potential Boxster owners...
BUY MINE! (See link in signature)

People are crazy. Years ago when I was trying to sell my 944 some guy wanted to know if I'd trade it for a hearse and another guy said he had a small airplane for trade, which would be nice but wouldn't get me to work.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #18

whats it worth $$

I have a very sharp 98 silver boxster with some mods ,rare dansk triple tip exhaust ,complete aero kit deck lid ,side skirts etc,18" chrome wheels ,cross drilled rotors,lowering springs, updated tail lights ,+ more ,new top ,86 k miles ,I would say mine is worth $13000 to $14500 if I am lucky ,thinking that is close to what your car is worth ?,funny I just bought a rust free 72 914 2.0 got a great deal on it ,the nada book says it books for as much as my boxster
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #19

DJ,

If you look at Kelley Blue Book :

$10,325 trade in
$12,250 private party
$15,550 retail

If you look at Nada Guide :

$9,050 rough trade in
$10,675 average trade in
$12,050 clean trade in
$14,375 clean retail

There are 76 - 1998 Boxsters for sale in the US on AutoTrader :

Highest Price : $22,000
Lowest Price : $10,800
Average Price : $14,530

According to Edmunds :

$9,114 trade in
$10,677 private party
$12,696 retail

So, I would say your car is worth :

$10,500 if you trade it in
$12,500 if you sell it yourself
$14,500 is what a dealer would probably sell it for

My big question is, if you get rid of it, what are you going to replace it with ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #20

DJ...why, why, why? You are just going thru what Nick went thru last winter when his mind is busy looking at 911's....you're experiencing what they called winter blues syndromes...LOL

You put so much energy and time on your car..who ever the next owner, would be a lucky one. Good Luck

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote