Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #1

Ipod connection for 05 Boxster S w/ Bose system

I've been trying to find a solution to connect my Ipod My 05 Boxster S with the Bose System. I do not want to use a FM connection. I bought the one recommended on this board but still am not satisfied. Has anyone had any success?

I have been considering replacing the head unit with a Pioneer AVIC system or something similar. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any problems with the Bose optical connections?

Thank you very much for any help!

Greg Savoie

greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #2

I'm not sure what board recommended option you are talking about exactly but there is an option available called the Dennison IceLink iPod Integration. Not sure if it will work on your exact system but sounds like it and worth looking in to. Bumperplugs in Charlotte, NC (www.bumperplugscom) carries them and according to their site:

"Absolutely the #1 product for iPod integration on MOST bus vehicles. This unit will allow seamless integration of iPod data to your fiber optic (MOST) bus Porsche audio system. Flawless digital sound piped right to the head unit, NOT a cheap FM modulator. Fits all Porsche vehicles from 2003 to present, Nav and non-Nav ready, plus Audi, Mercedes, Saab, BMW and others! See details on the order page."

From the feedback I've heard, people seem happy w/ it.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #3

I bought mine from bumperplugs.com

excellent service.

The Dension unit is expensive, but as of a year ago (last time I researched it), it's the *only* good solution to integrating an iPod into a Porsche with a MOST system.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I bought mine from bumperplugs.com

excellent service.

The Dension unit is expensive, but as of a year ago (last time I researched it), it's the *only* good solution to integrating an iPod into a Porsche with a MOST system.

For the price of the Denison unit, I would prefer to get one of the Pioneer Avid head units. Does anyone have any experience with this with the Bose System?
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #5

You are out of luck. Dension makes the only MOST bus compatible iPod options for the 987. I never bothered due to the cost.

Keep in mind that there aren't any aftermarket head units that operate on MOST bus, to my knowledge (haven't checked in a long time), so installing a new stereo in these cars is quite a job. You'll have to run separate interconnects, etc.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #6

I have a 2006 and wanted to do the same thing. I went to Tweeter to talk to the install guy and he said he has installed some systems in 997's with the Bose system. I saw some pics and it looked great. So, I am thinking of getting a Pioneer AVIC installed. I have the Bose system. I also found this on Caymanclub.net.

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-electronics/22732-avic-d3-installed-bose.html
qa4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #7

Try spec.dock for a mor eprofessional install

I just installed the spec.dock from 2point5 (www.2point5.com) in my 2005 987 Boxster S. It's the Dennison adapter, but with an integrated iPod dock that fits in the center console ashtray. It's a nice fit and finish, but it does take some fairly advanced modification of the ashtray.
Controlling the iPod from my CDR-24 is a bit annoying, but so are most of the iPod adapters.
A cool bonus is that I can also plug in an external audio source (L+R RCA jacks) or an external USB drive with many gigs of music. I have a nice fitted set of outlets in the glove box. Sources are selectable from the radio.
Yes, the Dennison is expensive, but so are all units that need to tap into the internal Porsche fiberoptic loop.

elt38 is offline   Reply With Quote