Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #1

rough feeling on deceleration at 3k - anyone feel this?

I've had my 2000 base for a couple of months now.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes around 3k rpm - I feel/sense this roughness or shuddering feeling... I don't feel it when accelerating... but if I rev up to and past 3k, say up to 5k and then I'm OFF the gas, and have my footon the pedals - but I am letting the car just decellerate on it's own..

right as the needle on the tach gets to about 3k, I feel this subtle shudder - i'd describe it as a rough feeling. You don't see anything on the tach - it's not extremely pronounced.... but if you are in the drivers seat, in tune iwht the car - you can feel it.

with all these threads on motors grenading - when I sense or hear or feel anyting, I get this "uh oh" feeling in the bottom of my stomach...

anyone know what this is that I"m feeling? i mostly notice it at 3rd gear - so it could be SPEED specific or it could be RPM specific.... so maybe it's not even the motor...but something else....

curious if anyone has felt or experienced anything liek this. gien how long these cars have been around - I figure on my usd car - anythign I experience is probably not "something new"....

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Good news. There have been no reports of shuddering around 3K before motors grenaded. So your shudder is not an indicator of an impending IMS failure.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

My 2000 does the EXACT same thing. Same RPMs and everything. I researched the heck out of it... one guys says its the exhaust. Another said it was the clutch... I'm guessing clutch. Although there's a simple "fix" with the exhaust that the other guy posted. I'm sure you can find it if you look deep. My clutch grabs great so who knows...

I've just finished my second summer driving it this way without any other problems. I think I've put on about 8-9k in this time. I have around 47k now.

Please let me know if you learn anything else on this issue.

In the mean time, I wouldn't worry too much...
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #4

Here's the link for you!

vibration at 3200 rpm
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

all I wanted to know was that this was somewhat normal and not some impending sign of DOOM..

i freaking love this car. you know, it's not a new car, it's not the fastest car on the road, it sure as hell was not an *expensive* car, but damn sure it's one fun car! for what I paid - and what you can pick up a used boxster for these days - it just doens't get any better than this.

the only real drawback is this fear of IMS failure or some other motor issue that grenades the engine. honestly, if my motor goes, i'll probalby just sell the car for parts. no sense in dumping 15k into a car worth les than that.... if my car can keep on running - it will be the most fun car I could have bought for th emoney.l

i test drove s2ks, RX8s, even a new EVO X - nothign came close to the overall FUN I have in this boxster. people can call them wannabe 911s...whatever. this thing is a blast.

as long as it keep running, i can live with some shudder when i coast down past 3k. it's really not a big deal. i sure as hell am not goign to replace my clutch just yet to deal wtih this. my clutch grabs fine for now.

for a used car that i picked up for 13k, this thing is amazing!!!

thanks for the links and info. as long as this is just some vibration that is "normal" and not a sign that my motor is about to detonate - i'm going to happily keep on pulling her up to redline and enjoy the musical wail that gives me a grin from ear to ear....

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote