Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

Presenting facelifted BoxsterS and CaymanS

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/boxster-cayman/13701-facelifted-porsche-boxster-cayman-unleashed-pics-video.html#post177968

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/wp-content/plugins/gallery/gallery.php/516/2/5/

All I can say is WOW. The face lifted Boxster look absolutely gorgeous! I think better than the cayman (which still looks great)!

Enjoy!

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 11-19-2008 at 05:00 PM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #2

I like the head lights and tail lights, but the rest of it pretty much looks the same as previous years. Certainly not a radical departure from what we've seen. So it's still a beautiful car, no question. I'm just thinking that maybe my LED tail lights won't look so gay now that they'll be standard. Nope I just checked in the garage and they still look gay. At least I feel a little progressive now. I get comments every time I stop for gas and the last one I got was actually a question as to whether or not my Boxster was the new model....

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

I'm waiting for the boxster that looks like the C-GT. They're getting closer with the headlamps in 2009. I think the 2012 model is supposed to be a complete redesign.

The S model motor on the 2009 is the only one to buy... Jack Raby has convinced me I don't want another boxer motor like mine in a car I own.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #4

I'll tell you what is gay--those silly up-down buttons for the Tip. I want one of those new sterring wheels with the paddles.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
EE3racing

It will be interesting to see how the new direct injected engine holds up, it sounds like the IMS shaftless design is already being used for the 09 Boxster. If you ask me, Porsche gave themselves a black eye with 10 years of the M96 time bomb.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 AM   #6

From a private function at the LA Auto Show last night:

Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #7

Garage
porsche site video

porsche has updated their website video and it has the new cars with the usual pomp and ceremony, but the thing that caught my attention was that they stated "all new engine design" so i take that to mean the m96 is is dead. DEAD. DEAD...

long live the m96

the base boxster gets the new engine without direct fuel inj.

porsche can make all the noise they want about ongoing product updates etc. but i take this as the only admission we are going to get (unless someone starts a class action) that the m96 was an accountants engine, they nickel and dimed it and we know the result.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #8

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
I love my 98 Box but I am afraid If I test drive one of these with 310hp, PDK tranny, and PASM, I may just have to dip in to my beer money a little bit and get one. I hope wifey does not read this.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #10

For a mid-cycle refresh I think it looks awesome! My only gripe really is that the exhaust cut-out doesn't seem to have a surround like my 987 does. Makes that area look a bit unfinished in my eyes.

I'm also a bit ticked that the new car is down 10 horsepower from the Cayman, for no discernable reason other than "marketing".

Anyhow, the only feature I want from the new car is the ventilated seats. LOL Hopefully someone can find a way to retrofit those down to the older models.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #11

Looks nice ... I don't know about those bi-xenon headlights though. Look sort of funny IMHO. Even the 911 looks bug-eyed to me. I think they are supposed to invoke the look of the CGT but I don't know. Maybe it is better in person.

And I have always loved the look of the 911 ...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #12

With some facelifts, it's best to leave the face alone, as the plastic surgeon, can botch it up. Some aspects look like an improvement, but I still don't like the rear drooping lights and the lower rear panels, which are now black so that you can spend an additional $1,000 to color match them or have them in aluminum look. The front middle intake looks a bit odd shaped (I like the Cayman's more), and the 2 front air intakes now have black louvers, which again will allow you to spend extra to have them color matched or painted grey to match the side air intakes. The headlights do distinguish it from the 911 a bit more, and look a bit more like the Carrera GT; however, IMO the rounder light are a better fit to the car's appearance. Interior ipod connection and new engines/transmission are big pluses. In short, if you already own one, it is not worth to trade up and perhaps it is better to wait a few more years for the all new Boxster. If you are in the market for one, perhaps wait until they work out the bugs or until a $5,000 power pack option is available to upgrade the Boxster S hp to be on par with the add'l 10 hp of the Cayman S.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I'll tell you what is gay--those silly up-down buttons for the Tip. I want one of those new sterring wheels with the paddles.
I test drove a Cayman last year, and found those things to be ANNOYING. The way I put my hands on the wheel while cruising, I was freaking downshifting accidentally!

F that!

Aside from that, the Cayman was pretty loud inside. It almost seemed louder than my Box with the top up.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
gcb

Frankly....i'm dissapointed in the re-design... the difference is really insignificant.. lights...LCD's ...whoooa..slow down there Porsche.. I love the look regardless however, there really is not much to be excited about in regards to the "changes".. perhaps the engine, PDK, horsepower bump, upgraded nav(finally), etc.... these are more interesting upgrades and updates in my opinion.

I have an '08 S and love the feel and improvements from my earlier '03 S much easier to drive, smoother, quicker, interior cleaner and updated.... so if the '09 is another jump in the same direction....should be pretty cool
gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I'll tell you what's gay - TIPTRONIC!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #16

I'm not sold yet on the rear lights....not sure I like the LED trends
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #17

Can someone explain to me why the Boxster S has 10 less HP than the Cayman S?

I mean it's really small, they just did it to make Cayman owners feel more special or what???

Did they just choke the exhaust a little? Cause it doesn't take a lot to have 10HP...

I'd be interested in seeing dyno results between an 09 Boxster S and Cayman S cause I wonder if there really is a difference.

Pure marketing crap to me...
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #18

Remember Porsche is the ONLY automaker in the world to charge more money for the hardtop than the convertible...

We have to at least give them a credit for that.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
Can someone explain to me why the Boxster S has 10 less HP than the Cayman S?

I mean it's really small, they just did it to make Cayman owners feel more special or what???

Did they just choke the exhaust a little? Cause it doesn't take a lot to have 10HP...

I'd be interested in seeing dyno results between an 09 Boxster S and Cayman S cause I wonder if there really is a difference.

Pure marketing crap to me...
It's pure marketing in justifying the higher price of the Cayman S, as many have criticized Porsche for charging more for the hardtop version of a car that costs less to build than the convertible version. As for the 10 hp, probably computer mapping. I have an '08 Boxster S with PSE, and went in to the dealer for an oil change. The service tech offered me a free upgrade to map my car the same as an RS60 Spyder. I would imagine that 987.2 Boxster S owners will do the same to put out 320hp, as it will probably be software not hardware that will make up the 10 hp differential.
vincesf
Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
With some facelifts, it's best to leave the face alone, as the plastic surgeon, can botch it up. Some aspects look like an improvement, but I still don't like the rear drooping lights and the lower rear panels, which are now black so that you can spend an additional $1,000 to color match them or have them in aluminum look. The front middle intake looks a bit odd shaped (I like the Cayman's more), and the 2 front air intakes now have black louvers, which again will allow you to spend extra to have them color matched or painted grey to match the side air intakes. The headlights do distinguish it from the 911 a bit more, and look a bit more like the Carrera GT; however, IMO the rounder light are a better fit to the car's appearance. Interior ipod connection and new engines/transmission are big pluses. In short, if you already own one, it is not worth to trade up and perhaps it is better to wait a few more years for the all new Boxster. If you are in the market for one, perhaps wait until they work out the bugs or until a $5,000 power pack option is available to upgrade the Boxster S hp to be on par with the add'l 10 hp of the Cayman S.
If you go to the Porsche site and slog through the videos, there are lots of little tidbits. The base Box has body color radiator strakes. Only the S has them in black. The brakes on the base are the same as the S except for caliper color. The base uses the old engine block and internals but bored out to 2.9L. Only the S gets DFI. The 5 speed is dead in the base Box. It now comes standard with a 6 speed manual.

Amazingly enough the facelift was accomplished without changing a single body panel. Only the front and rear bumper caps had to be changed to accept the different shaped lights.

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote