Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #1

Shift Knob Silver?

I want to repaint my silver shift knob and need to find a matching color. Is this Porsche Arctic Silver? Has anyone been able to find a close match to this silver at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Pep Boys?

This is the knob I have (except in 6-Speed):

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It looks like arctic silver but it is hard to tell from that picture. I would just buy some porsche touch up paint online or from your dealer. It will easily cover that area, and will be the right color.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #3

That picture isn't my actual shift knob... I stole the picture from the Suncoast website. Mine is the same one though. I figured that the silver that Porsche uses on the interior parts is a standard color. My exterior color is Guards Red. It's a 2002 Boxster S, and there are other interior trim pieces factory painted in the same silver as the shift knob (intrument cluster trim, door handles, etc.) I would assume that this came standard on the "S" model?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #4

I picked this up off another website...haven't tried it, as I have no need at this point, but always good to know.

"Aluma Look is " ALU 03 EFFECT " and is listed for trim etc.

Code is 4W9 and Dupont stock code is X1070"
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

Have you considered just removing all the silver and enjoying an all-black shifter?

That's what I did and I think it looks great. I sat in front of the TV with a trash can and used my thumb nail to remove the silver. Took about 30 minutes, but didn't scratch the plastic.

Now I have a very unique shifter that never needs repainting again.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I picked this up off another website...haven't tried it, as I have no need at this point, but always good to know.

"Aluma Look is " ALU 03 EFFECT " and is listed for trim etc.

Code is 4W9 and Dupont stock code is X1070"
That is great to know, and is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I went to went to a bunch of stores yesterday and test-sprayed a bunch of different brands/colors on a piece of cardstock to find the closest match. I found that RustOleum Bright Coat in the Metallic finish, Aluminum color (7715803) from Home Depot was nearly an identical match. I was hoping to find a matching color in the RustOleum Universal formula since it's made to work on plastic, but the Silver Metallic color in that formula was way too metallic looking. So, I had to spend a few bucks extra to purchase a can of RustOleum Plastic Primer to make the Bright Coat formula work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Have you considered just removing all the silver and enjoying an all-black shifter?

That's what I did and I think it looks great. I sat in front of the TV with a trash can and used my thumb nail to remove the silver. Took about 30 minutes, but didn't scratch the plastic.

Now I have a very unique shifter that never needs repainting again.
Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll stick to the original look. I'll have to post some pictures when I'm done.

Last edited by dja1980; 11-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.