Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Removing air bag stickers by accident!

So way back in 2005 I bought some of those air bag warning sticker cover-ups that you see on eBay all the time--the vinyl stickers that go on the back of the vanity mirrors.

I put them on and they looked great, but then one hot sunny day I left the car with the top down (it was like 100 degrees out) for a while and the sticker bubbled up and looked a bit crappy.

Fast-forward to this past weekend when I finally got a new pair of stickers and decided to change them. I pulled out the heat gun and gently heated up the stickers and began peeling them off.

The air bag warning stickers stuck to the black vinyl stickers that I was removing.

Quite a hoot. Being the lazy man I am, I didn't attempt to clean off the residue that was left behind, instead I just stuck the new stickers on.

But if anyone wanted to know of yet another way to remove the warning labels, well, there ya go: add stickers, wait three years, remove!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
FTD

I like it! Come do mine! Its on the list of things I haven't gotten to.....
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #3

Did you get the ones that are self-adhesive? If so, do you know if they are sticky and sized correctly?

I bought a set last year but they are not sticky - you must use clear adhesive to stick them on and I still have some bubbles underneath and the edges are starting to peel up.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #4

What? Wow, I haven't heard of that before--sounds pretty clumsy.

The ones I bought in 2005 and this year came from this guy on ebay. I explained what happened to my old set and he gave me a discount, seems like a stand-up guy. Also stated that the vinyl he's using these days is of higher quality, but I don't remember how the old ones were so I can't compare.

These are the same kind of vinyl stickers that people use to rice out their cars, although it's very thin unlike the kind they usually use. The thinness allows the sticker to actually take on the texture of the material underneath so it helps camouflage. Application could be done just by peeling off and sticking, but he recommends you wet them down first so you can squeeze out the air bubbles. Works like a charm.

He also includes a pair of rectangular stickers for covering up the air bag warning on the underside of the sun visor, although these end up being a little more obvious than the ones on the vanity mirror.

As a side note, this guy's probably made a pretty good pile of cash from this side business. The price is reasonable, but his manufacturing and shipping costs are pennies.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

Warning Sticker Flap

The flaps on my visors that have the warning label on them won't stay in place. When the visor is brought down they just flap in the breeze. Are they supposed to click onto the mirror and stay in place? Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions out there?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #6

When I was having my interior redone, I just bought two new mirrors from Suncoast for about ~$20 each. They are the Euro non-lighted version but I never used the lights anyway - I just wanted to be rid of the stickers.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Today when I was driving I had a card just fall on my head. I don't know excactly where it came from, but it has instructions for lowering he convertible top. I really thought someone had thrown a business card at me as I was driving by until I looked at it.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote