Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

GAHH Top Owners, Can You Answer A Question?

I had a new GAHH top with glass window installed on my car a little over a week ago. When I went to pick up the car, the installer went over a lot of details pertaining, to the new top (care, use, etc...). One thing he mentioned was that the edges of the GAHH tops don’t automatically fall into the guide channel when closing the top. He recommended that when closing the top, to close it half way, and get out of the car to pop the edges into the guide channel. Then finish closing the top.

He stated that this is true on all Boxster GAHH tops with the glass rear window… “something they haven’t quite figured out on this car yet.”

Are others with GAHH tops experiencing this? I found a link on Mike Focke’s website showing a DIY for this issue on OEM tops, but I wouldn’t think that this would be necessary on a new top. If this is true, fine. I just don’t want to find out that it was installed incorrectly a year from now and have no recourse in getting it corrected.

Thanks in advance… dave

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

I understand that Gahh is really good with customer service. How do they answer this question?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #3

I've heard that too. I figured I'd ask here first since I know that a lot of members have had these tops installed.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #4

There should be a strap that fits under pads on frame. It is held on by exisisting plastic fitting which holds pads on. I installed many of these tops.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
There should be a strap that fits under pads on frame. It is held on by exisisting plastic fitting which holds pads on. I installed many of these tops.
So this is NOT common, and the edges SHOULD automatically fall into the guide channels when closing the top?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #6

I talked to Jack over at GAHH this afternoon, and he told me that an elastic strap should have been installed to draw the edges in toward the middle and place them into the guide channel. He said that if I snap some photos with the top halfway up, he should be able to tell if the strap is installed properly.

So does everyone who has a GAHH top on this forum have their edges properly fall into the guide channel?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to BLACK PORSCHE 6
I Have The Same Problem!!

I had a GAHH top installed to, I have the same problem, Each time i close the top i get out and place the top sides into the guide channel .. PAIN IN THE...... So i'm missing a elastic strap! Thanks good to know..
BLACK PORSCHE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja1980
So this is NOT common, and the edges SHOULD automatically fall into the guide channels when closing the top?
There should be a picture in box with top showing how to install straps...
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #9

And now that I think back, I remember when the installer was showing me how to pop the edges into the guide channel, him telling me that he installed a strap that was supposed to help with the issue, but that it was ineffective. I wonder if it's possible that the strap was installed incorrectly, maybe needing some fine adjustment, or maybe GAHH included a defective strap.

I snapped some pictures last night. We'll see what Jack at GAHH has to say, and I'll let you guys know.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

I had a new top installed about 2 months ago. The installer (an approved GAHH installer) did not install the straps properly and I had the same problem. Took it back and with about 10 min. of adjustments (installed straps the correct way) the problem was solved. Now the top fits perfectly.

By the way, it took me almost 2 months for the top to loosen up enough for me to close the hinge without first pulling the top down manually with my hand. This is normal with a new top.

The guys at GAHH can talk with your installer to easily solve your problem.

Enjoy the new top.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #11

Thanks, Eric! That makes me feel a lot better knowing that there is an easy fix. When closing the top last night after taking photos for Jack, I noticed that I was able to close the hinge without any extra assistance on my part. I really expected it to take a lot longer for it to stretch out that much. I would assume that this is a good thing, however, it may have to due with the fact that the top was only down for a matter of about 5 mins. before closing it again.

I also took some pictures of areas in the canvas that aren’t completely smooth with the top completely up. In the last two photos, you can see some bubbles or wrinkles (for a lack of better terms) where the canvas doesn’t completely lay down near the edges. It’s somewhat difficult to see these in the photos due to the flash washing them out, but they are definitely much more visible in person. The installer stated that these “bubbles” would come and go due to a cable being under the canvas in these areas. Did you guys experience this with your tops as well?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #12

I do have 2 areas where the top is wrinkled like yours, but they are smaller. On each side there is one are right next to the black plastic frame to where the top is installed. Your wrinkle areas seem to be more numerous and larger than mine. Wish I could help more. I don't know if there is something they can to to flatten them out. Maybe my top was put on tighter, since I could not latch it without pulling it down with my hands first.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I have a GAHH top, had it put on in April 07, and it folds down perfectly each time. I also don't have any wrinkles in my top.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

I talked to Jack from GAHH last night after he had a chance to review the photos. He stated that based on the pictures, he doesn't believe that the issue has to do with the elastic straps. Rather, he believes that the issue is being caused be some inner flaps on the window riser being too wide, preventing the elastic straps from doing their job.

Jack said that the installer should be able to correct the issue, but I would have to drop the car off for a few hours. He left a message for the installer yesterday afternoon, and I'm just waiting to hear back from him to find out the next step. I've got to say that so far, I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the customer service at GAHH!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #15

Dave,
I installed a GAHH glass top on my 01 Boxster S myself a couple of weeks ago. So far I have no issues with the cables falling out of the channel. There is definitely a elastic strap on the top that supports the correct unfolding. May be the attached picture helps you to locate the strap and determin if it is assembled to the third bar of the top mechanic.

There is a second part that helps the cable guide into the channel. There are plastic sliders right and left. There is a shorter and a longer version. The old parts in my car were the long ones, the new parts that I bought from Porsche were shorter. So I stayed with the old ones. You can find details on this topic in this thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22871

It is definitely not normal to get out of the car to lo guide the cables!!!

If I can help you with more information, just let me know!

Chris
grossmann66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #16

ugggh. Here's a smaller picture.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #17

All Fixed!!!

I dropped the car off yesterday morning to have the guide channel issue and canvas bubble issue looked at by the installer. He said that he had a few ideas in mind to correct the issues, but there were no guarantees it could be corrected. By mid-afternoon, I got a phone call that everything was fixed.

I am VERY happy with the outcome of this repair. The top is now tight in all areas with no bubbles of loose canvas, and best of all, the edges now fall into the guide channels without having to push them into place!

The installer said he had to get creative with this fix, creating elastic loops riveted to the top that go around the poles on the inside of each side of the top. This is difficult to describe, but I can certainly snap some pictures if anyone is interested.

Of all the tops the installer has done on Boxsters, he said that this is the first time he has gotten the edges to fall into the guide channel by themselves. I think he was pretty happy to have come up with this fix for future installs.