Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

IPOD mounting suggestions?

I have a 2000 base with the CDR220 head unit. I have done several searches here and found the places where I can buy the appropriate cable so I can get the ipod hooked up to the stereo.

my other concern though is the mounting of the ipod. i've seen some people who put them in the ashtray, which is not what I want to do.

I have seen some mounts that are up against the right hand edge of the center console - which looks okay, but many have a tacked on look that I don't care for.

I don't daily drive the boxster, so I don't have to have the ipod in easy reach - i'll probably have some playlists that I'll just let play - so I don't need to "see" the ipod or have it within fingers reach.

i wouldn't mind some setup where it just is resting in the storage bin under my stereo... ig uess if i ran the cable there, I could connect the ipod, and then let it rest in there, and if I pulled over or was stoppeda t alight, i coud pull it out - with enough free play in teh cable to get it out, and make changes, then stick it back...

but I don't want to butcher up the cubby so that when the ipod is NOT there you see some horrific looking hole...

i'd be very interested in seeing other people's installations and how they chose to mount the ipod so I can get an idea what my options are.

anyone feel free to post your mounting setup and the pros/cons of what you did vs other setups.

thanks.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

I bought a cable as well but haven't yet done the work (waiting on a Bose rear speaker kit before I start). I am thinking of making some kind of mounting plate that would employ velcro, but be attached to the dash by way of the cigarette lighter socket. I never use the lighter so I want to fabricate something (non-conducting, of course) that would press into the socket, and provide the appropriate platform at the desired angle. I'll probably end up having it powder coated black once I'm done.

Just one idea.

Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote