Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 03:38 AM   #1

Shop Tips

This is my first post .Hopefully I can make a contribution to this great site .I just finished installing -new clutch-rms and headers on a 99 .
The Bentley manual was a good guide and quite complete .
They reference a special engine support tool -I used the car floor jack with two (2) 4x4 spacers .
Flywheel lock-a 12 inch 1x1 angle iron with holes at 5 3/4 and 10 15/16 worked well .The angle iron when bolted to two pressure plate holes -left for removal and right for install -has direct contact with the crossmember .I faced the angle iron with tape to avoid scratches to the flywheel .
RMS intall -used the old seal reversed and sanded the outside edge to eliminate interference .Using a small hammer and patience it went in easy and square .The old seal edge will roll-which is ok .
Transmission jack-used the Harbor freight adapter for a floor jack.Worked pretty good for both the transmission and the lead muffler .In fact it was perfect for the muffler install .
Now for the bad news -had a horrible time with the exhaust system -used lots of heat on the header bolts and still broke a few - At first tried freehanding drilling out a bolt- could not maintain a square position .The Bavarian drill press did work -
whick is the scissor jack from my X5 and a cordless drill .Started with a 3/32 bit and worked up.Two holes were bad and needed helicoils -used the old headers as a drilling guide for the helicoil bit and got a perfect centered hole -also used the Bavarian drill press .
One last thing -Bentley has you removing the drive shafts -didn't need to do that

Hope this is of some use
Dave

dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #2

Garage
thanks for the tips. Sent you a PM.

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote