Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #1

Wheel / Braking Knocking Noise?

Two weeks ago, I put my car up on jack stands to remove the wheels so I could have them refinished. The wheels were completed on Monday and put back on the car, but now I have a knocking noise coming from my passenger/rear wheel. The noise gets louder the harder I press on the brakes, and the knocks slow down as the car slows down (the faster I go, the more frequent the knocks). The noise really isn’t present unless I press on the brakes, however, everyone once in a while I hear the noise when I hit a bump.

The car was on jack stands for 9 days with the wheels removed. New tires were also installed on the wheels after they were refinished. At first, I was thinking that maybe the new wheel-weights might be knocking against the brake caliper, but I would think that if that were the case, the knocking would be constant regardless of breaking.

Since there was no noise before taking the wheels off, what could have changed and caused the knocking sound after putting the wheels back on?

I plan to jack the passenger side tonight to take a look, but does any have any thoughts on this? What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Don't know your wheel and tire size, but I had to cable tie my parking brake cables back because the wheel was rubbing on them.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the response!

The rears are the standard 265 / 35 / 18 tires with Turbo Look Wheels.

I'll check that cable tonight. Was yours making more of a rubbing noise, or a knocking noise?

I'm just trying to figure out what would have changed from the point of removing the wheels to putting them back on. Either I bumped something, or it has something to do with having the wheels refinshed and new tires put on. Could it be related to the car sitting on jack stands for 9 days (stretched suspension)?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

Problem solved!

I jacked up the rear on Friday evening and got underneath with a flashlight to have a look. As it turns out, the main brake line on the passenger side seems to be twisted, forming a curly-q on its way to the caliper. Unfortunately, this was causing the brake line to rub the inside of the wheel when I would depress the brake pedal.

I have no idea how long this has been like this, but with the tires just getting refinished and new tires getting put on, they added a new wheel-weight to the inner edge of the wheel. I guess when I would depress the brake pedal, it would cause the brake line to flex and push against the wheel-weight, creating the knocking noise.

I zip tied the brake line for now, but I think at some point I should probably untwist it for a more permanent solution. The outer jacket of the brake line does have a small knick in it, so I'm wondering if it needs to be replaced now that it has been compromised. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?