Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #21
Lux

Welcome.

I know Sal recommends cottom towels with his Zaino but I don't agree. Get yourself some good microfiber towels.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #22

I have always had good luck with very old, very soft bath towels.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #23

microfiber is the only way.

Get some good towels. The microfiber towels work really well for dusting the interior as well. I recommend getting a set of towels for the exterior and another for the interior. For example, I have blue towels that I only use on the interior, and green that I only use on the exterior. I know know I’m crazy.

If you are really nuts like me you will only wipe in the direction perpendicular to the normal viewing angle of that panel. i.e. on the hood and rear deck only wipe front to back (or visa-versa) and on the sides up and down only. Over time the "swirls" will be oriented in that direction, which will essentially hide them.

"Its the only way if you want it just right . . "
--Willy Wonka

I went to a PCA event over the summer where we had a pro detailer come in and give a demonstration on the "proper way." I went home feeling like I was ruining my car every time I washed it.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:19 AM   #24

I do use microfiber for all waxing and related operations. I don't find them acceptable for drying after a wash.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #25

Cole: Lift the hood and write down all the 3-letter/3-number combinations on the little piece of paper taped on the underside right up front. Put those numbers in a posting - I'll tell you; 'what you got'.

I've been doing option mining for the last 6wks - looking for the right combo/right price. Typically, the non-P dealers DO NOT have a clue what they have...and it simply does not seem to cost five cents more for a car with good options.

Hell, I drove 3hrs. to look at an 01 'S', 14,800mi, Seal/Gray interior...BUT?! Navy blue top? I don't like tri-color cars....and luckily, my wife didn't either - whew! (the salesman said the top was dark gray, or I'd have stayed home...)

I drove to see it because the dealer didn't know he had about $6k in options on this car. Interestingly, it was traded in at a multi-franchise dealer, was not prep'd (the way I prefer to see them..) and will probably end up at the Manheim auction in Fredricksburg VA next thurs..or week following. This dealer doesn't think they have a market for it. It's in pretty decent shape, but the person did not baby the car as we would.

There's a jucy 01 'S' (see a pattern..) with full leather, comfort and touring packs, lights, etc - BUT, the deal killer for me: no PSM, in Southern OH....

Jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by wetsuff
There's a jucy 01 'S' (see a pattern..) with full leather, comfort and touring packs, lights, etc - BUT, the deal killer for me: no PSM, in Southern OH....

Jim
PSM is not to everyone's taste but it is a favorite of mine for 2 reasons.

#1 - It keeps me from sheer panic as I watch a NASCAR wall approach at 105MPH.

#2 - I drive in snow.

IMO - Unless you buy a high performance car every other year, it is worth shopping carefully for the options you want.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #27

A-S: I look five+ years forward. I expect virtually every car outside a KIA Rio to have it... and, besides, there's an Off switch?! I can't imagine why you would not want your wife to have it...

You're serious about snow! Having living in Wisconsin, MN and Ontartio, when there was still Winter; I don't miss it much. It was about 70f. in VA Beach today.

Jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #28

Cole stick with the Zano, it's good stuff. I've heard that NXT stuff is pretty good for covering the micro scratches especially seen by dark colors. I use a 100% lambskin shammy to dry off with.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote