Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #1

Help with Roll Bar Removal

I have an 03 boxster and I am looking to have my roll bar chromed but haven't been able to find any instructions for removing the roll bar. Can anyone help?

fortunato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There are four bolts on each side, behind the carpeted panels that are held in place with two philips head screws (Look at the rear speaker kit install instructions).
But it may require a bit more than that to remove, I've never done it.
Can I ask why you want to chrome it, wouldn't a body color match look better?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #3

I hate to answer a question with a question but...Have you ever seen one chromed? They look great if you have chrome wheels and chrome badges. You just don't see them every day so I figured what the heck. Everyone has painted them so chroming seemed the next logical step.
fortunato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I understand. Chrome is all a matter of personal taste. It just isn't my cup of tea, especially on a Porsche. But anyway, you should be able to figure it out. If you plan on doing a lot of DIY stuff the Bentley service manual is indispensable, and I recommend it. It would have more detailed instructions for removing the roll bar.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Chrome? I must be missing something...been watching too many episodes of "Unique Whips" (of course, just my opinion; everyone has the right to customize their car as they see fit).

But to answer your question, there have been some good write ups on how to remove the bar; just try the search function.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #6

Chroming the roll bar is an excellent idea. I picked up an extra roll bar a few months ago with the very same idea in mind. I just haven't found a chrome shop willing to take it on yet. I am driving up to a shop in Gainesville, TX next week to see if it will fit in their tanks before they will give me a quote. Let me know what price you get quoted to chrome yours. And be sure to post pics once it's done!

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
bmussatti

I think you will have to partially remove the convertible top too, in order to get the roll bar out.