Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

'04 S first gear car shudders/shakes

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble lately with my car. I do not know if its my driving skills but I've been driving this car for about 2 years.

The problem has to do with 1st gear. I am at a complete stop. I give it some revs and slowly release the clutch pedal. Now sometimes, the car will shudder/shake while it is trying to engage the gear. I am pretty sure I give enough revs and I have tried it by giving it even more revs. It is like there is a sweet spot where the car will shudder/shake...

It is kinda hard to explain but I was wondering if anyone has had something similar happened to them.

Generally, what are the overall things I can ask the dealer to check (CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, TRANSMISSION MOUNTS).

Also, for second gear it feels that the car has produced or produces so much torque because upon going to 2nd gear the car jerks alot like there is too much power coming out...is that normal? What can I do in order to have very smooth gear changes like thousands of other cars I have driven have...

Thanks in advance

aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Your engine mount is shot.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/DIY%20Front%20Engine%20Mount.html

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-10-2008 at 10:58 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #3

Absolute, we may be able to give you more guidance if you give us details about the mileage, driving habits (cautious and pokey old man driver or 16 year old clutch dropping redliner) and what work you've had done one the car in the last two years.

An 04 is a fairly young car to have a worn motor mount unless you have 100k on the car with lots of hard driving or track time.

Sounds more like a clutch or pressure plate to me, but I could be all wrong. Do post more history and data about your car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #4

Randal,

Sorry for not providing as much info. The car has 30,000 miles on it. About to do the first big service.

Driving habits, I am not an old lady when I drive it but I never over-rev or push the car to its max. I have fun somewhere in the middle. There are times I might go slow and shift gears at low RPMs but there are times I might push it around 6k RPM (not so often though).

Thanks for mentioning the engine mount, I have already replaced that about 5 months ago so I do not think this is it again...hopefully not at least.

Thanks!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
bmussatti

I think Randall is spot-on! I suspect clutch and/or pressure plate.