Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Tail Lights for 2000 Boxster S

So I plan on updating my Arctic Silver 2000 Boxster S with some new headlights and tail lights. I have already decided on the headlights but im stuck on the tails. I originally planned on going with the Depo lights which seem to be popular on here but to me they just look cheap... I saw suncoast has some 03-04 clear tail lights on sale for $450 and those look nice. The 550 Spyder ones are solid as well. Does anyone have any additional recommendations or input on those options i listed? Pics would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something that is a relatively easy install without needing a lot of additional wiring or electric work.

Thanks in advance!

2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #2

Garage
The following thread has images of about every taillight on your car. Plus other options you may consider in the future. Personally I think the red and clear option looks best on silver.

Why isn't there a Silver Boxster thread??
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Here's a poll on the subject:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61878-three-986-oem-taillights-color-combos-pick.html

I just installed a set of 03/04 tail lights (you will see a picture in the thread) so I'm obviously biased towards that option. I like the 550 Spyder lights, but they may be harder to find. I wast tired of the amber after 10 years of ownership, so I wanted a change. I also don't think amber looks good on a silver car.

I've never seen the Depo tail lights in person, so I cannot comment on the quality. I saw a video on YouTube of owners from the UK installing a set of aftermarket lights. They had problems with the fit. However, I don't know whether those were Depo or another brand.

I don't want to take any business away from Suncoast, but you should be able to find a used set for around $200.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Here's a poll on the subject:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61878-three-986-oem-taillights-color-combos-pick.html

I just installed a set of 03/04 tail lights (you will see a picture in the thread) so I'm obviously biased towards that option. I like the 550 Spyder lights, but they may be harder to find. I wast tired of the amber after 10 years of ownership, so I wanted a change. I also don't think amber looks good on a silver car.

I've never seen the Depo tail lights in person, so I cannot comment on the quality. I saw a video on YouTube of owners from the UK installing a set of aftermarket lights. They had problems with the fit. However, I don't know whether those were Depo or another brand.

I don't want to take any business away from Suncoast, but you should be able to find a used set for around $200.
Thanks a lot Kevin this was very helpful. I think the clear red 03-04 set is awesome! And with great timing, I just received a PM from someone drilling a used pair for 150$ so after a couple pics assuring they're in good condition, I will most likely go with those. Your car is amazing by the way!!! Awesome build.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
The following thread has images of about every taillight on your car. Plus other options you may consider in the future. Personally I think the red and clear option looks best on silver.

Why isn't there a Silver Boxster thread??
Thanks 911monty that was very helpful!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
I just received a PM from someone drilling a used pair for 150$ so after a couple pics assuring they're in good condition, I will most likely go with those. Your car is amazing by the way!!! Awesome build.
Sounds like a great price. I paid $200, but since I had a local buyer willing to pay $100 for my old lights my net cost was only $100 - inexpensive by Porsche standards.

Thanks for the positive feedback about my car and good luck with your lights.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Sounds like a great price. I paid $200, but since I had a local buyer willing to pay $100 for my old lights my net cost was only $100 - inexpensive by Porsche standards.

Thanks for the positive feedback about my car and good luck with your lights.
Yeah my right tail light has a fused socket but I am going to try and sell the left one and see if I can bring net cost down even more. Thanks a lot and you're absolutely welcome!

Tags
986 boxster , lights , tail lights