Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #1

Squeaking Top

My car came back from the shop after a 17K service. It's been squeaking inside. Like styrofoam rubbing together. I eventually traced it to the rear top. Pressing the rear window I can replicate the squeak.

I searched for a cure but really found none. A lot of notes of squeaks but no fixes.

I checked my shop manual suspecting it was a tension issue. I opened the top a couple inches and looked at the mechanism inside hoping to find a way to reduce the tension. I suspect it was the rubber seal of the top squeaking aginst the edge of the rear deck lid when closed. Nothing that looked like an adjuster.

Finally, out of graphite I rubbed some original Armour All on all the rubber seals. It seems to have stopped the squeaking.

Anyone else have tis problem. If so, how did you fix it?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #2

Armour All can and will eventually dry the rubber on your car. Try applying some baby powder on the seals
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #3

would graphite be better?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

FYI: just a follow up

the mechanic at the dealer looked it over and said the tension was fine and he applied a 3M silicone paste to the rubber seals. he said it will preserve them and lubricate them.

He agreed that Armour All was not recommended.

The squeaking was from dry rubber seals at the bottom of the top and the front of the rear cowling.

I just ordered some of this paste online for $17 for an 8 oz can. 3M part number 051135 08946. He said it would last me a while and I should apply it to all the rubber seals around the top and doors.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #5

The stuff to get is DuPont Krytox weatherstrip lubricant.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #6

If I understand the offending parts correctly, you might also be able to adjust where the clamshell stops when it closes on the fabric. There is a sliding adjuster on each side and you can make it stop a notch higher to put less pressure on the convertible top material.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
The stuff to get is DuPont Krytox weatherstrip lubricant.

Patrick
thanks! i researched this stuff and it sounded amazing. The way i understand it, it's like a grease version of Teflon. so i bought 2oz of the grease, arrived in a couple days and I applied it. Worked like a charm. dead quiet inside. No squeaks, no creaks. LOL

I thought 2oz would be small but it's actually decent size for this purpose(weatherstripping) and I have plenty left over.

That 3M silicone paste is what my dealer uses and it seems like it would be good also. It doesn't have additives that would harm rubber seals.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/assets/downloads/Squeaks_and_Rattles_Newsletter_1.pdf

Last edited by wild1poet2; 10-06-2008 at 06:46 AM.
wild1poet2 is offline   Reply With Quote