Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #1

Bought a Boxster - Woohoo!

I've been posting on here for a while now - researching boxster prices and various other aspects of Boxster ownership. I got interested in the Boxster when my dad bought one in 2003. He let me borrow the car once in a while, and I always felt it was THE most fun car I had ever driven. Well, he bought something new and decided to sell his Boxster. So after a lot of research, and very fair deal - I bought the car from him.

He brought it over on Saturday and we did all the paperwork. Like a true enthusiast, he still has the original window sticker, ALL repair work, etc.

The car is an Ocean Blue (black interior) 2000 Base 5 speed. Lots of options. I'm honestly now sure what stuff on this car is standard and what is an option... but I know it has the following:

18" Wheels
Upgraded 3 spoke "S" style Steering Wheel
Cleared side markers
2003+ style rear clear tail lights
M030 sport suspension
Full leather interior
heated seats
Cruise control
There is a cubby with sliding doors in between the seats under the windblocker - not sure if that's standard or an upgrade
There are two MB Quartz rear speakers behind each seat as well in little cubbys

The only thing it doesn't have that I would like to add are clear halogens or litronics. Aside from that this car is perfect.

73,000 miles. Even though the car was well cared for by my dad, I still did a PPI for peace of mind and they said it looked good.

This car is just so much FUN!!

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

Congrats!

Here's a fun task that will help you become more intimate with your newly acquired Porsche (as well as improve the look of your car). Paint the front bumper grill-inserts a fresh coat of black. Like mine was, it's very faded and practically looks silver. It requires you to remove the bumper, but it is easy and worth it.

...That is, if you have an interest in that kind of thing.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

are those inserts SUPPOSED to be black?? they are gray..i just assumed they were supposed to be that color... I have some "back to black" that I used on the base of the sidemirrors and the plastic trim between the hood/windshield - that stuff was faded and i used back to black and it came back to looking nice and black.

i can paint it or i can use the back to black stuff. i've used that on other cars and it seems to do a good job getting the black color back to plastic/trim/etc.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Congrats!
You bought the best color too!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #5

"back to black" is great stuff for black plastic. However, it's not for painted surfaces and the grill inserts are painted and have faded.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #6

at lunch today I got down on the ground and took a very up close look at those vents and I can see remnants of what looks like black paint..... yes it's all worn off.

do these vents just pop out or do you have to take the bumper off to get them out???

I've got some black spray paint. i'll get some clear coat and fix that up next weekend!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
do these vents just pop out or do you have to take the bumper off to get them out???

I've got some black spray paint. i'll get some clear coat and fix that up next weekend!
You will need to take the bumper off. It's surprisingly easy. Do a search here for it.

You don't need to put clear coat on there. That may look weird. Just clean them thoroughly and repaint.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #8

I have another idea instead of painting the grill inserts. On ebay, someone sells aluminum grill overlays. You can purchase the overlays painted. I have a black 2000, so purchased the black painted overlays. They look like they were made for the car and I think improves the look. I paid about $40 and it only took about 15 min. to install. If you want, I will send pics.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 AM   #9

If you could post a pic that would be cool! I'm following this thread because I need to do my inserts as well. I'd be interested in alternatives... maybe.
Thanks,
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #10

yeah! please post pics and/or a link to where you got these inserts. I'd be interested in t hat too.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #11

Congrats on the new to you car. Looks great, wonderful color.

Make sure you keep the engine oil pristine. That way, you will have money left to spend on the little cosmetics we all attend to.

Best of luck.

:dance:

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #12

Congrats on the purchase - you waited a while for this, so now you have to drive it all the time to make up for lost time

Regarding the inserts in the front bumper, you could just paint the rest of the car silver and then they would match just perfect

Enjoy your car!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #13

Well, let me tell you . . . my "wife" has the Boxter and I have the Z4 . . . she's happy and (oh yeah!) I'm happier!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
FTD

congrats! Very happy for you. Excellent choice hehehehe
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #15

Looks nice!
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #16

I LOVE this car.

I feel like a little kid who got his very first bike... I had forgotten what that felt like, and now I know all over again....
Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #17

Are the grills all black? My '02 S has titanium colored grill inserts, which look very nice against the black exterior...I liked the contrast so much I painted my side vent inserts the same color. You may like the contrast instead black, as well, since your car is a nice deep blue.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Congrats! It looks really nice. I'm glad to hear you bought it because I could tell by your other posts you really wanted a Boxster.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #19

Yes I really wanted it. It is nice to finally have it. It is a great car. I don't plan to daily drive it, so I really look forward to the times I do get a chance to take it out for a spin.

the grills inside the intake vents are black - so I assume my front vents were black and the paint has worn off.

i'll have to figure out how to get the front bumper off and paint them.