Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

What does my BoxsterS muffler look like cut open?

Thought I'd share my crappy cell phone shot with everyone (how generous.. I know..) I was working on a project and I was asked to make a BoxsterS muffler work on another car

I found it VERY interesting how Porsche purposely "leaks" raw exhaust/header noise into the tubes that directly feed the twin center exhaust tips on the BoxsterS. If they did not do this.. the muffler would be perfectly quiet!!

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #2

Brad,

Your workbench looks a lot like mine. Without the dissected muffler, or course.

So is leaking more raw exhaust gonna be the trick of the future?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #3

Hey! I know you

Luckily.. that is NOT my bench, a friend with a better welder than I have owns that ratty ass bench.. :lol: I asked if I could clean it.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #4

As long as people keep buying "Cherry Bombs" that are chromed for $500 for their Boxster's.. there *probably* wont be much development.

I do like how Porsche used 3 chambers to get the sound and back pressure down. The center chamber does most of the baffling.

B
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #5

Watch the "club" site for what I did with this muffler

B
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

That grinder electrical cord looks as dangerous as the bench itself!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

I wore my OSHA approved Flip Flops for the first few days.. then decided against that..

B
Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

That is my muffler

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #9

Can't find the thread on the club site.. did you hide it?

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
That grinder electrical cord looks as dangerous as the bench itself!
I like the anvil just sitting up there. Will it break from framming on it, before it vibrates off the bench on your OSHA approved flip-flops?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #11

It say's "55lbs" on the side.. and they mean it!! The anvil doesn't move real easy.

This was me getting ready to cap the ends of the muffler. Unlike all the TV programs, I had a welding helmet on and gloves

B
Old 09-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #12

How's the "sunburn" on the inside of your knees?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #13

Is the muff going on the sunflower 914 behind you?
My last 73 2.0 was that color. It looked great with the texture sanded off the roof and painted monochrome. I see you have the rustt magic (vinyl) taken off the rollbar sides.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #14

Holy crap!! LMFAO!!
I was looking at the 914 behind you and didn't catch the OSHA sight gag right in front of the camera lens!!
Too funny! The only thing better would have been someone pouring the gas into a parts cleaning pan!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #15

If I was your friend.. I'd call you "a little slow"

Just kidding

It actually went on another 914, and I did not weld like that The photo was staged for "laughing" purposes

B
Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #16

Here is a pic of the finished product. SOUNDS GOOD!!

B
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #17

and.. from the side... it now has Boxster brakes.. Boxster wheels.. and Boxster muffler

B
Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #18

and Boxster Center Console.. Had GT3 Seats but they are sold. Will be a fun car for someone lucky!

Photos of my Boxster S