Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #1

Rear window split... thinking of replacing just the plastic.

I thought I heard a crack yesterday. Checked today and I have a small split in the corner of my rear window. I checked around and found a replacement on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Plastic-Window-911-Convertible-Cabrio_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQihZ013QQi temZ230292663943QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I have an awesome convertible shop I use and am sure they could do the swap. Has anyone used this product or can anyone recommend a good replacement option.

My top is in very good shape and I am not interested in changing the whole thing. Any suggestions.

Thanks!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Take the top off the car and take it to a boat upholstery shop, they do this type of work every day.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #3

I know a couple good upholstery/convertible top guys and they can definitely do the job. That's the way I'll go when mine eventually cracks.

But, try to source the material through them rather than pay $80 for what is essentially a sheet of plastic with some rudementary tools (which neither you or they will use).

There is lots of good sheet vinyl out there today, and if your guys are good, they'll know where to find it. Take this stuff for instance: http://www.yourautotrim.com/40gaug27clea.html it meets the necessary specs and would cost only about $30 for the raw material, giving you an extra $50 to give the upholstery guys. This is the vinyl used by the top manufacturer Bestops.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #4

Been there, did the fix myself with a similar kit. It is a lot of work, much more than I had anticipated. I would recommend you find a shop willing to stitch in a new window with the canvas still on the frame. The entire convertible top (canvas & frame) is surprisingly easy to remove. Most shops want to remove the canvas from the frame, that is where it gets expensive.

See also:
DYI rear plastic window.

Cracked Plastic

Replacing plastic back window '01 Boxster's Top

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote