Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #21

maybe I'll jus stick with the Pzeros that are there, or upgrade to PS2s.

i don't want "track" tires for the street.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #22

You can't go wrong with either the PZero's or PS2's. The PS2 is a comfortable riding tire, a little less responsive than some other choices, a little more costly, but by many is considered the standard for comparison.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Flat spotting on modern tires is much myth. Unless your tires are steel belted, it's not much of a concern. With modern high-tech cords such as Kevlar and the increasing use of silica compounds and such, any flat spotting will disappear as soon as the tires are rolling and heat up.
I dont think thats a myth.

Lately my Boxster is only getting driven once a week max,sad yes I know. But when I'm hoping in it it has to be flat spots that causing the shimmying in the steering,because it goes away within 3-5 miles of driving.

That's only when it sits for a week or more though that it's bad like that.

As for tires,I really recommend P Zero Rossos. I didn't realize how good they were until lost them. They were a little bit sticker then the S-03s I used to have,where the S-03s would start to break the Rosses stuck on a little more,but it seemed like the Rossos gave without any sign though while the S-03s would give signs of the grip breaking.

Don't buy BF Goodrich(don't know the model) if you want sporty,I have them now and they are only good for driving on from a-b,I won't be recommending these to anyone besides soccer moms.

Have you looked into Falken Azeni Rt-615s?
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

They are great tires but don't last long.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-12-2008 at 11:09 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #24

I did a lot of research and chose Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. I also live in Charleston, SC, and you never know when it might rain. FYI, I have tried a few times to get the back end out a little on turns in the rain, but have not been able to. Probably just a little cautious
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
My favorite til this day are the Original Michelin Pilot Sport N1s.

I have a set of 225/40/18 Pilot Sport N1 front and 285/30/18 Pilot Sport N1 rear. Great Tires!

I prefer these over the PS2. The PS2s felt too soft for my taste
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
My favorite til this day are the Original Michelin Pilot Sport N1s.
I have those and I think they are excellent. They are also pricey.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #27

I do autocross and I put on the Falken Azeni Rt-615 this summer for the first time. I have been quite happy with them.

They are priced competively, and have lots of grip. Also in the wet (Pacific North West) they seem to do quite well. They probably don't extract water as well as most tires, but under damp conditions, light rain conditions, I haven't had any issues. Even autocrossing in some heavy rain, they have done quite well.

I can't comment much on there wear, but I suspect they will not last as long as some more common type tires.

Grassroots Motorsports did a tire comparison between 4 or 5 autocross type tires a few issues back, and the Falken came out on top, when it came to lap times. Hence why I decide on them Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of $ to buy and try different tires so I depended on their opinion.
profpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #28

18" Michelin Pilot Sport N1's are what I have and love them.

Purchased just recently from the Tirerack. I didn't think the cost was that aweful.

Hell of a tire and you're keeping with the OEM recommendations for N spec. I know I may catch flak for that on this forum, but hey, I'm a Porsche pureist!!!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #29

The Pilot N1's came on my car new and the steering repsonse was a bit sharper than the PS2's but they didn't grip as well. The PS2's seem to have a softer sidewall which also makes the ride a bit more compliant over the bumps at the expense of steering response. Overall I like the PS2's better.

Last edited by Adam; 09-12-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #30

Trigem - your boxster is FRICKING nice!!

i'll keep you all posted on my tires...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I dont think thats a myth.

Lately my Boxster is only getting driven once a week max,sad yes I know. But when I'm hoping in it it has to be flat spots that causing the shimmying in the steering,because it goes away within 3-5 miles of driving.

That's only when it sits for a week or more though that it's bad like that.

As for tires,I really recommend P Zero Rossos. I didn't realize how good they were until lost them. They were a little bit sticker then the S-03s I used to have,where the S-03s would start to break the Rosses stuck on a little more,but it seemed like the Rossos gave without any sign though while the S-03s would give signs of the grip breaking.

Don't buy BF Goodrich(don't know the model) if you want sporty,I have them now and they are only good for driving on from a-b,I won't be recommending these to anyone besides soccer moms.

Have you looked into Falken Azeni Rt-615s?
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

They are great tires but don't last long.
I'm not saying they don't flat-spot, but it's not a permanent condition. Drive the car and the symptoms go away. If not, and you're on Pirellis, you have other issues.

I agree with you on the pirellis, I think they're much maligned on this forum ! They're really very good tires. I WILL replace my current set with the same next spring. They're spendy, and not the longest lasting, but having experienced Ironstones... er... Bridgestones, Dunlops, Continentals and Goodyears, I have to say that the perellis outperform them all (subjective of course).

One interesting tire is the Cooper. We replaced the conti's on my wife's car with a Cooper Touring Tire and nothing but positives to say regarding price, wear, Dry/Wet traction, etc They make a Hi-perf tire and considering the price difference, I may (emphasis on may) give them a shot.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #32

Go with the Azenis 615's. They stick amazingly well and lasted longer than expected.
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #33

So if I want the best turn-in steering response possible, which tire should I buy?
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #34

the car is in the shop now. dealer said all four tires have excessive wear and need to be replaced.

so i'm looking at a full new set of tires. the car Pzeros now. i love the grip, the turn in...

are the PS2s goin to have more or less grip? better or worse turn in / steering response?

i don't mind spending the money, but this is a summer, top down, go around corners in the dry car. i don't care about year round wet, snow, etc.

i don't wnat R compounds. i want to get 7-10k out of them.

i'm thinking either stay with pzeros as i like them.
or ps2s? or advan neovas? these all get good ratings...

i want a street tire, not a race tire, that has excellent dry traction, excellent turn in. stiff sidewalls are okay with me. i wan to have fun, not a comfy ride.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #35

i noticed on tire racks site they have an N3 and N4 Pzero tire. one has a higher treadwear rating.

the stickier one is only 140! even lower than the neova. the PS2 is 220. are these therefore stickier and have better grip? at the cost of tire life?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #36

^ basically, yes

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #37

Talking Tire Tales

I am running non-N rated tires on my 04 Boxster. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's. Rated as an "Extreme Performance Summer" tire. I run 265's in the rear and 225's in the front on 18 inch rims. I drive 2 old highways that are not used because of the concrete 4 lanes right next to them in some places. They are two lane blacktop that are not posted so that makes the legal top speed 55 mph. There is a reverse "S" curve posted at 15 that goes to one lane through a tunnel that is blind from both sides and several straight's where 100 is easy if you are not careful. On the rest of the road, most of the time I am in 2ed gear with the RPM's between 4K and redline. The RE-01R's perform excellent. I did put some extra air in them when I first got them and was disappointed but when run at the Porsche recommended 29/36 I was happy. I like the way I can feel the front tires bite in the apex and the rears follow right along. I do not feel the rear try to turn out but the whole car will drift. As far as life span, the tires not mine, at 4K I see no wear even though a 4 wheel alignment showed three of 4 wheels had a misalignment of some sort or other. Porsche was kind enough to enter in to my service record that I have non N spec tires on the car. I run mud and snows in the winter and run the same road with snow on it but a lot slower. Previous tires were Michelin's.
7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #38

Garage
I like the new GY F1 Asymmetricals

They are considerably less expensive than the PS2's --which they replaced but have man similar traits--low noise, great dry traction, great wet traction, supple ride. My only beef is the flat spotting when cold which clears up in about 10 miles. Best of all for 987 owners, they are available in stock sizes.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
I, too, am getting close to the point where I need new rubber.

A quote from Tire Rack regarding the Goodyear Eagles:
"Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
They say basically the same thing about the PS2s.

While I don't drive my Box in the snow (or even if there's visible road salt still on the road, after the snow's gone), I do still drive to some extent year-round.

What are the consequence of driving such tires when it's cold? Is it dangerous? If so, is that still true even if you're not "pushing" your car anywhere towards its limits, traction-wise? Is it detrimental to the tires? Just curious.
For the Eagles in question (I have them and I did think about that warning before I chose them) it's a combination of rubber compound as well as tread pattern. The rubber compound gets too hard to give much grip so you lose some traction. How much you lose is uncertain - my guess is they're covering asses by warning you but you'll generally be OK as with any Summer performance tire. The tread pattern is a different issue. The V-shaped pattern on the Eagles will not grab in snow or mud. It's purely meant to put down to biggest tire patch while funneling away water. The tires have great dry and wet grip but I wouldn't risk getting caught in any kind of snow with them. I've read stories of people parking in dirt lots, getting rained on and remaining stuck until the mud dried. Goodyear did recently release the all-season version with some gripping tread but I don't know much about those.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #40

Pirelli P Zero Rossos is what I would get

I don't think I have ever owned a better tire. They did not last too long but at about 13K miles it is not too bad for hard driving on a Porsche. The grip is amazing but more importantly the car is so sharp in steering and so responsive. This is the tire Ferrari uses on their cars and one of the OEM on all Porsches.

rdynamix is offline   Reply With Quote