Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

SOoooo much better

When I bought my car, it had Kuhmo Ecsta Supras on it (18"). Driving it home, I thought it sounded like the rear brakes were sticking, worn out, and dragging the rivets on the rotors. Of course, the PPI told me that this was not the case. I also had a minor vibration at higher speeds. I suspected that either the tires were not balanced properly, or the tires had flat spots due to the cars relatively low mileage.

Today I got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics put on. The noise is gone. These tires are very quiet. The ride is a bit more harsh, but I'm fine with that. The vibration is gone too.

In order to check if the vibration was gone or not, I jumped on the highway real quick - for about 2 miles. I was following a truck on the on ramp, so my speed was limited. When I was able to get past him, I accelerated slightly and thought I was doing around 50mph at that point. I looked at the speedo and it said I was doing 70! Damn. It's gonna be hard not to speed now.

Needless to say, I'm happy. Hopefully, they'll be good on the track next week.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #2

Be careful until the new tires are thoroughly scrubbed-in. Anti-mold/fungal chemicals and such can make the tire slick for the 1st 100 mi. or so. Best not to get on it until this is scrubbed off and the grip improves. Glad you like your new shoes!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
FTD

congrats on the new tires!
I will tell you a story: When I first got my car I didn't realize the rear tires were worn. Once I did, I started investigating what to get. I had PZeros. I thought, "I am not getting these again. They s^ck. I put Michelins on all the way around. What a difference! My conclusion: the PZeros themselves may not have been relevant. The extreme wear and probably square nature was the problem! Ha ha. I can be pretty ignant sometimes.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
congrats on the new tires!
I will tell you a story: When I first got my car I didn't realize the rear tires were worn. Once I did, I started investigating what to get. I had PZeros. I thought, "I am not getting these again. They s^ck. I put Michelins on all the way around. What a difference! My conclusion: the PZeros themselves may not have been relevant. The extreme wear and probably square nature was the problem! Ha ha. I can be pretty ignant sometimes.
It's true. Old tires just suck on fine German sports cars. Nothing quite like fresh tread.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Be careful until the new tires are thoroughly scrubbed-in. Anti-mold/fungal chemicals and such can make the tire slick for the 1st 100 mi. or so. Best not to get on it until this is scrubbed off and the grip improves. Glad you like your new shoes!
Heed this warning... it was wet when I got the tires put on my rear wheels.... I spun the car around taking a right turn just 4 miles after the tires were mounted!!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

The one thing that drives me nuts on my Box is how loud the stock Michelin tires are. This is encouraging when it comes time for me to replace them - I'll look at the Good year tires.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

just so we are so are not providing any mis-information, new tires need to be scrubbed in a bit to wear off the mold release agent, the stuff that makes it so the rubber releases from the tire mold when made at the factory and not an "Anti-mold/fungal chemical"

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Ummm.....

I think what you are talking about is "mold release" compound. This has nothing to do with fungi or biological molds but instead allows the tire to more easily "release" from the "mold" in which it was made. Mold release is a kind of greasy, powdery substance on the tire that is indeed slippery and does need to be worn off through driving.

Regards,
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Ummm.....

I think what you are talking about is "mold release" compound. This has nothing to do with fungi or biological molds but instead allows the tire to more easily "release" from the "mold" in which it was made. Mold release is a kind of greasy, powdery substance on the tire that is indeed slippery and does need to be worn off through driving.

Regards,
Alan
Yep... you're right ! Thanks!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #10

That's neat looking. Makes sense to have a tread mold; I just never thought about it before.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #11

We're getting hammered by rain here today. These tires have far better wet grip than those old Kuhmos did. On corners where the back end would break loose accidentally , these new tires are sticking like glue.

BTW, when I removed the Kuhmos, they still had quite a bit of tread on them before they got to the wear indicators. I had a bubble in the sidewall of one of the fronts, so I had to replace those. I wanted to keep the grip levels constant front to rear, so I replace all 4.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I wanted to keep the grip levels constant front to rear, so I replace all 4.
That not going to happen with a RWD drive.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #13

There's nothing like the good feeling you get when mounting up new shoes on the little lady....

BTW, I went with Pirelli P Zero Neros and the ride is smooth as silk.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
That not going to happen with a RWD drive.
It will sure it will; at least until the rears get worn.