Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #1

Fan trouble

The A/C fan in my '99 began buzzing (whirring?) as I was driving the other day. The higher the fan setting the louder the buzzing. Sounds like something is wrong with the motor or something has fallen out of place. Has this happened to anyone else? I'd like to have a better idea of what is going on before I go ape crazy ripping the dash off in 95 degree heat.... thanks!

mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #2

There is a chance some of the foam liner inside the hvac system has fallen off and is hitting the vanes of the blower fan (baseball car in wheel spoke effect). Have you notices other bits of thin, dry grey foam spitting out of your air vents?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #3

That actually sounds very likely. That is exactly the sound it is making- is there an easy way to get the dash off and remedy this?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Might be a leaf that's gotten stuck. Happens all the time on my BMW. I often can get it to go away by running the fan at full speed, if not, it eventually gets blown out.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #5

Here is write-up I ran across not too long ago, might be helpful:
http://www.carboncow.com/pages/porsche/heater_door.htm

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #6

Thank you both very much. I have ran it on high for a few days hoping it was something that would come un-lodged but to no avail. I'll start taking things apart as soon as I get a chance and hopefully come up with a solution!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #7

I have to do this sometime too. I just have not had the proper amount of time to tear into it. Let us know your results.