Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #1

Pooling Water In Convertible Compartment

I have a 99 986. I bought it as s fun, fair weather car. It rarely get out in the rain. However, a week ago my regular car was in the shop so I took it out during a torrential rain storm (remanants of hurriciane Hannah). At some point I began hearing this dripping sound. very distinct like water dripping into a pool of water. Then I noticed a sloshing sound as I would stop or take a corner. When I got home and got into the garage I partially opened the top to see if I could see anything.

There was big pool of water in the roof compartment. It was only on the driver's side. The passenger side was dry. It seemed as if the material covering the compartment was almost like a waterproof bag. I am assuming this is designed to catch water and that it is designed to drain. Obviously I am plugged somewhere. Any idea how to get this to drain properly?

I was able to sop up the water with a rag. I then left the roof partially open over night. It was pretty much dry by the next day. As I mentioned a bove, it rarely gets driven in the rain so even if I can't fix it there shouldn't be a huge problem. It would, though, be nice to have evrything working properly.

Thanks

Last edited by NJkayaker; 09-09-2008 at 09:42 AM.
NJkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

You got it. The purpose of the black foam liner is to direct water to the water drains. There is a drain on each side. Put the top in the service position and you will see them. The drains can get clogged over the years with gunk.

The outlet of the drain is right in front of the rear wheel, so it is not a straight shot down from the drain inlet to the ground. The tube for the drain is plastic so be careful if you shove something sharp down there, like a coat hanger.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

If you want some help locating all the drains (front and rear), and want to stop by the north Jersey area, we can clean them out with water and compressed air. I made sure mine were all clean when I bought my car last fall.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #4

I would also recommend that you check the carpet under and behind the drivers seat. If your drain is plugged, the water may seep below the seat. If this happened, dry it ASAP. There is some type of electronics under the drivers seat that will cost you $2000 if it gets wet and destroyed.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #5

diagrams of drains

Mike Focke's web pages has some really good information about the drains.

sbantit1 is offline   Reply With Quote