Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #1

Ignition key sometimes sticks when hot

I've started to notice my ignition key sometimes gets stick so I can't pull it out and when I do get it out, sometimes the 'release' doesn't happen so the radio stays on. Any ideas? Does it just need some key lock lube or should I replace the ignition?

2001 Boxster S

Gary

garywinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #2

Your ignition switch, or more correctly, your starter switch (the electrical part of the lock) is shot and needs replacing.

Pretty simple procedure, documented here - do a search. There is a switch available from Porsche, an Audi Switch (the one you pull out will have an Audi symbol on it), and a generic mayle switch (probably the mfr. of them all). You can find them on ebay and a number of porsche parts suppliers. More difficult to source from some dealers as Porsche wants you to replace the entire mechanism (mechanical and electric) which is much more involved and $.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

I've got a brand new one from the Porsche dealer Part number 4A0 905 849B if you're interested, go ahead and PM me. I ordered the wrong one, since my car has had the updated ignition switch assembly.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #4

Installation isn't really "simple." It requires some tiny screwdrivers, lying upside down on your seat with your feet in the air, and removing bits of your AC ventilation to get to the cheap plastic part that needs to be replaced.

Don't let this scare you off from trying to fix it yourself though. Just know it's not as easy as replacing a rocker switch on your dash, which is a 1 on the 1-10 difficulty scale.

I'd give the ignition switch replacement about a 5.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #5

Ig. Switch

Thanks everyone. PM sent on the offer.

Gary
garywinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Ugh.....I have to do this soon. Took me ten tries to get the darn key to move in the ignition yesterday.

:troll:
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #7

my ignition nightmare

I placed this on an earlier thread but I feel compelled to relay this information again.
It was the ignition switch for me which caused the stater to clash for a short time. The switch travel started getting sloppy, starting sticking. It wanted to remain spring-loaded to the "first detent position", door bell remained on when key was removed, I had to push it to the off postion to remove.

Beware of replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch only. I read that some have had good luck with replacing just that part...not me.
I started out buying that part from autozone (previous threads) and it wound up being the mechanical portion of the assembly in front of it. I couldn't get it started, had to have it towed to Porsche (thought I activated the immobilizer) and Porsche stated the mechanical portion prevented the key from reaching the full travel to activate the starter. $277.. later all is ok. Porsche asked how I was able to just buy the electrical part since they only can get the whole assembly. Their experience is that it is always the mechanical assembly that causes the issues.
btw, it took them 3.5 hours to remove.
For jollies I have a Durametic tester and ran the fault codes. I had to clear the "immoblizer" fault after I got home. To me the immoblizer did kick in.
And that's correct, it's a real pain in the butt to just remove and replace the electrical portion of the switch assembly. Good luck.
jbox53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #8

I guess everything's relative. I have worked up under the dashboard several times on several cars, so to me, this wasn't particularly difficult.

Compressing and removing the AC duct wasn't difficult. Removing the electrical connector wasn't hard. The 'fixing' paint came away easily, the 2 screws backed right out and the switch pulled out easily. Everything went back in just as smoothly. Total time about 15 min. inverted and everything back in place and working great. No way i'd rate it a 5/10, but that's subjective I guess. How would you rate changing plugs? Personally, I think this was easier than that and i'd ptrobably rate plug change as a 2-3 at best.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbox53
it took them 3.5 hours to remove.
Book rate = 3.5 hours. Actual may have been far, far less time although you committed to paying the book rate with the estimate so they nailed you for it.

Typical stealership way of ripping off customers.

LB - you are right... for a competent and confident wrench turner like yourself, it was probably a 1 out of 10. For someone who's never taken stuff apart on their Porsche, including swapping spark plugs, the number is higher. My plugs took me 2.5 hours when others say they knock it out in 45 minutes.

I have discovered though that with each project I tackle, the numbers go down and the more cocky I become. I guess that's a good thing.

I sure wish our cars were more sturdy. Lots of bits seem to fall apart prematurely compared to Japanese makes.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbox53
... Porsche asked how I was able to just buy the electrical part since they only can get the whole assembly. Their experience is that it is always the mechanical assembly that causes the issues.
btw, it took them 3.5 hours to remove...
Yes, Porsche has eliminated the starter switch from the parts bin. They want to replace the entire lock, a few crumbs for the dealer per se.

They also redesigned the lock, though not the starter switch. Replacing the lock itself is much more complicated because of all the mechanical inks to the clutch/Tip, steering lock, etc. That's not a job I would look forward to and i doubt I coukld do it in 3.5 hrs., at least the first time.

1999 Porsche Boxster