Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #41

Good Thread

This has been a good one....a little bit like real life...how weird is that on the internet?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
sometimes I step back and realize that this is a 986 forum which puts the likes of me in the 987 in the minority....

BUT...after reading this thread.....if anyone can confuse the handling of a Mazda Sedan and label it as just as good as the boxster....you all need to trade up to the 987

My car will never be confused for anything else...nothing drives like it...of course I don't have the honor of spinning lambos but nothing under 100K I've been in feels remotely as good....I've spent sometime in the new Mercedes C350...not even close....I doubt the mazda 6 speed turbo supercharged awd compressor gtx rs sedan would come close
I dont think there are many places where a MS6 couldnt out run a 986 Boxster or a 987 non S Boxster. Track lap times of Mazdaspeed 6's are better than 986 Boxster S in many track comparisons and they run up there with M3's. MS6 I have seen beat majority of street tire clad Boxsters in AX events. Event last year my 100% stock Mazda on street tires beat 28 of 32 boxsters at a PCA AX ...many were on DOT R tires. It deserves some respect. I have 80,000 miles of boxster driving and AXing under my belt so I do know the sissy of Porsches (Boxster) pretty well. I have driven 987 as well and the Mazda has some definite advantages. Mazda is much easier to throw into turns than Boxsters and it handles transitions very well. Boxster has advantage in slower turns where momentum can be maintained. Mazda is much nicer for commute as I can leave it in 6th gear and use huge low end torque to pull the car. Boxster requires two down shifts to produce similar power.

I appreciate both cars. Dont really understand the need to make Porsche seem like its the best performer? Boxsters have a variety of handling ills, but they are still nearly as nice as my MazdaSpeed 6.

Last edited by grantsfo; 08-30-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #43

I think he was trying to get ahead of you to enter the freeway, I see people doing that all the time on 2 lane ramps in my dad's Toyota Camry.

Best thing to do is to let them pass, even if you don't mind wasting gas your risking the other driver getting angry and started road rage, which is never pleasant.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #44
Track rat

Garage
A silly comparison really. Two completely different cars. I actually like the Mazdaspeed 6. Near German sedan performance for less than 30k. With all wheel drive it gets a great launch off the line. Decent handling and it looks nice and drives nice too.

Regularly outrun any seasoned Boxster at the track while dragging around 3600lbs?? Maybe if Scott Pruett is driving it. I'll look for you at Buttonwillow and Streets. I'll try and keep up in my worn out, 10 yr old underpowered car. Best single solo lap wins. Loser buys the steaks and beer.

One recent comparison:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=45cafe93295ac&car2=45c466ef99ff5

Last edited by Topless; 08-28-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
I dont think there are many places where I couldnt out run a 986 Boxster or a 987 non S Boxster. Track lap times of Mazdaspeed 6's are better than 986 Boxster S in many track comparisons and they run up there with M3's. I beat majority of street tire clad Boxsters in AX events. Event last year my 100% stock Mazda on street tires beat 28 of 32 boxsters at a PCA AX ...many were on DOT R tires. It deserves some respect. I have 80,000 miles of boxster driving and AXing under my belt so I do know the sissy of Porsches (Boxster) pretty well. I have driven 987 as well and the Mazda has some definite advantages. Mazda is much easier to throw into turns than Boxsters and it handles transitions very well. Boxster has advantage in slower turns where momentum can be maintained. Mazda is much nicer for commute as I can leave it in 6th gear and use huge low end torque to pull the car. Boxster requires two down shifts to produce similar power.

I appreciate both cars. Dont really understand the need to make Porsche seem like its the best performer? Boxsters have a variety of handling ills, but they are still nearly as nice as my MazdaSpeed 6.
I don't understtand you posting here. If you own a Mazda and love to race the car, great. If you are fan of the car, great.

If you came here to denigrate the Boxster, not so great.

Also, calling Porsche drivers sissies is simply trying to start something.

Take your business elsewhere please.

Thank you.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #46

He's probably a disgruntled Solara driver

I didn't mean to start a multi page "street racing" thread. Sorry about that.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I don't understtand you posting here. If you own a Mazda and love to race the car, great. If you are fan of the car, great.

If you came here to denigrate the Boxster, not so great.

Also, calling Porsche drivers sissies is simply trying to start something.

Take your business elsewhere please.

Thank you.

I'm a Boxster owner! I own a nice 1999 2.5 that I'm converting to a 3.4 so I dont get embarrassed by Japanese sedans on the track. I didnt call Porsche drivers sissies, I called the Boxster the sissy car of the Porsche world. Although new Boxster S with 3.4 motor is certainly much closer to a real performance car now. Dont get me wrong Boxster is a fine car almost as good a sports car as my 914 was, but all but the 987 S Boxster would be stomped by the Mazdaspeed 6 on big HP track.

I figured a ridiculous post about somone street racing a Solara was the perfect place to have a little fun.

And for more giggles here is result from a PCA AX I drove the 100% stock MazdaSpeed 6. AX ...isnt that where Boxster should excel over a 3600 lb AWD sedan on street tires? Car in 17th place was the MS6. http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/htm/10-13-07candlestick.htm

Picture of the beast in action:

Last edited by grantsfo; 08-29-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #48

My wife owns a Solara and I would never think about putting it up next to my Boxster S in a curve or off the line. Now when it comes to gas mileage or long distance comfort, the Solara wins every time. I guess that is why we drive it to work and are taking it on a 5 hour trip this weekend. Heck, I am glad we have the car. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love (and look forward to) my top down Sunday drives in the Porsche.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #49
Porscheectomy

Quote:
I'm a Boxster owner! I own a nice 1999 2.5 that I'm converting to a 3.4 so I dont get embarrassed by Japanese sedans on the track. I didnt call Porsche drivers sissies, I called the Boxster the sissy car of the Porsche world. Although new Boxster S with 3.4 motor is certainly much closer to a real performance car now. Dont get me wrong Boxster is a fine car almost as good a sports car as my 914 was, but all but the 987 S Boxster would be stomped by the Mazdaspeed 6 on big HP track.

I figured a ridiculous post about somone street racing a Solara was the perfect place to have a little fun.

And for more giggles here is result from a PCA AX I drove the 100% stock MazdaSpeed 6. AX isnt that where Boxster should excel over a 3600 lb AWD sedan on street tires? Car in 17th place was the MS6. http://www.pca-ggr.org/files/htm/10-13-07candlestick.htm

Picture of the beast in action:

I'm confused, there are 2.7L and 3.2L Boxsters and a Cayman faster than you and then identical cars behind you. All I can gleen from this information is AX performance is heavily dependent on the driver, which I think we already understood.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #50

So If I beat my mom in a K-car and she has a Lambo then the K-car is faster?
That the reasoning here that you are using.

I get it...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm confused, there are 2.7L and 3.2L Boxsters and a Cayman faster than you and then identical cars behind you. All I can gleen from this information is AX performance is heavily dependent on the driver, which I think we already understood.
There was a modified 2.7 on DOT R tires a little over a second ahead of me with very good driver at the helm. Gleen at your hearts content. If the Mazda was such a terrible performer how on a long 70 second AX circuit was a "poor handling" car on street tires able to keep within a little over a second of the fastest Boxster on DOT R tires and modified suspension? ...Perhaps great low end power and outstanding handling of the MS6 gave me an advantage? Believe me it wasnt all driving.

Anyone who knows GGR AX series understands that top 20 isnt an easy feat in a well setup Porsche. For a street car to get into top 20 is impressive.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
So If I beat my mom in a K-car and she has a Lambo then the K-car is faster?
That the reasoning here that you are using.

I get it...
Sounds like someone has a case of penis envy.

Checking his link he also beat a 997 GT3 which ranked 54th... I bet you he waved his cock around that guy's face for 10 good minutes too.

Last edited by ekam; 08-29-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #53

Easy answer... DRIVER
I think you're giving waaaay too much credit to tires.
Like my mom driving a car with more horsepower... I would still beat her if she had 200 more.

Decent car+good driver= good
Better car+good driver=better
Bad car+good driver=good
Good car+bad driver=bad
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #54

Too much credit to tires? ...really? I like to think I have some expereince with running both street and DOT tires and I usually gain 2 seconds with DOT's. When I know a course is going to be fairly open I chose the Mazda 6 over the Boxster for AX becuase I know I can go much faster in the Mazda 6. Its also a kick to to show up in the wolf in sheeps clothing at Porsche events.

LOL! Guess all 30 of the Boxster and Cayman drivers at that event were slouches because even the 2 that beat the Mazda were not far ahead? Some of you guys are hilarious. Never understood the "Boxster is superior" mentality. Its a great car but it lacks good low end torque that is critical for track and AX driving on certain courses and in stockish form they understeer like pigs.

Superior Japanese engineering + Great low end torque + AWD traction - Average driver = Boxster beater

Mazdaspeed 6 also has several street class rally wins over cars you would typically expect to beat it.

The other nice thing about the Mazdaspeed 6 is that its not a mass produced car like the Boxster so you dont see many around. Nice to have some exclusivity when I'm cruising for the babes. Put some dope 20" wheels on the MS6 and CF hood and I'll be stylin.

Signed, Long John Silver.

Last edited by grantsfo; 08-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #55

Dang. My S is more common than a Mazda and chicks won't dig it as much. Oh well. Reckon I'll trade the ill handling pig in...
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #56

I just picked up this cute little car in a trade. But it doesnt have cup holders? WTF?

Last edited by grantsfo; 08-30-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #57

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-29-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #58

Quote:

The other nice thing about the Mazdaspeed 6 is that its not a mass produced car like the Boxster so you dont see many around. Nice to have some exclusivity when I'm cruising for the babes. Put some dope 20" wheels on the MS6 and CF hood and I'll be stylin.

Signed, Long John Silver.
A) How do you get the top down?

B) How do you lose the back seats? Reminds me too much of a mini van with all of those seats and doors.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #59
Ike

Lightbulb Different Strokes

Hey Gearheads,

Without diversity, we would all be driving VWs! (at least the French would ) One could only guess what model we would be pokin'.

I haven't stopped smiling since I read post #1.....don't stop now.

Happy Trails,
Ike

P.S.: Never underestimate the potential of the Boxster S.

Last edited by Ike; 08-29-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #60

Agreee!!!

This has been a great thread.....I havent always liked or understood what is really going on but lots of passion and perhaps deception.

Closed Thread