Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #21

Wow I thought that was a caymen! I dunno if I'd pay 5 grand for one though..

Although if I lived in the south I definately would not need one. Sheesh come live in Ohio where we get snow for like half the year then you won't complain

Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 08-09-2008 at 04:45 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
B-E-A-UTIFUL.. nice going man looks great
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #23

Looks fantastic, just like a Cayman. Completely changes the character of the car. Think I'll spend the money on my turbo, first, though.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by releese78
I didn't know that, if you could scan it that would be great! I appreciate it.

You have a pm
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #25

If I needed a new soft top anyway, and didn't love driving topless so much, I'd want to buy one of these. It definitely looks very good. What does it weigh?

It's interesting that I can get more good top-down weather in CT than he gets in FL!!!!!! But I definitely see his point.

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #26

Below answer to your question taken from www.zeintec-usa.com

How much does the Zeintop weigh?

The complete top weighs approx 99 lbs (45 kg), including the glass and insulations/interior lining. Light enough for two people. However, when you take into account the weight reduction with the removal of the rear trunk and soft top lids, the net weight becomes only 65 lbs (29 kg) for the 986 (’97-’04) Boxster.
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #27

Too bad it's not available for the 987 yet.

I've had a little email conversation with them, and been watching for a while.
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #28

Your new top looks great. What an awesome addition to owning a Boxster.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #29

Thank you! It's something I had been fantasizing about for a long time. Pictures really don't do it justice, I highly recommend it to anyone considering a purchase.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #30

Ok, so I'm going to apologize to everyone in advance if I sound pissy, but something just dawned on me and got me a little angry, so I'm going to tell my story. I've had this thing about a month and still no reply (read-on to understand)...

After researching Zeintop for a year, and discussing a purchase from Kari (President of Zeintec USA) several times, an opportunity arose for me to buy one "second hand" which was about 7 months old.

A couple days after purchasing it, I sent Kari some pictures and thanked him for all of his efforts along the way. I let him know that I love it and was going to do my best to get it seen (shows, forums, etc.) in effort to hopefully help some other tops get sold since I wasnt able to directly give him the sale. I only asked a couple simple questions...

1) I noticed in a picture on the webpage that there is a center latch cover. I don't have this part, I also heard mention of fender covers to protect the car during removal and installation, are these available for me to PURCHASE from you?

2) I've been tweaking the adjustments on this top for a couple days and it's almost where it needs to be, I'm still having some trouble getting body lines to match perfectly, any advice?

3) I have a small air leak where the top meets the front of the car near the windshield, any suggestions?

I asked the same questions twice (two separate emails), and only got a short response to the first email which said something to the effect of "I'm sure Pat told you how to adjust it, thanks for your enthusiasm."

I never got any response about the two parts which I thought came with a Zeintop and wanted to purchase since I did not have them.

....Here's where my attitude comes in.....

One would think that with a rather expensive and quite rare thing such as this, a company would want happy customers/promoters out there. I was really "Gung-Ho" about actively promoting the product because I not only believed in it's quality myself, but I was impressed with the "before purchase" personal attention I got.

To not even acknowledge my email is just crappy in my opinion. I wasnt looking for freebies or handouts, I was simply asking if I could buy the things I needed to make it complete, and how to adjust it so it looks it's best. Why would you want one of these on the street for people to see and say "It looks like something aftermarket...doesnt even fit right"

I'm still trying to get it "fitted" properly as we speak. I re-covered the headliner, it now looks great and I think I can fix the air leak with some thicker weatherstrip, but havent done it yet. The hatch still doesnt look right, it sits within the shell about .25" closer to the driver side and the corners (sharp points on the hatch) seem to be a bit higher than the rest of the body. Overall, I still love it and only people as particular as ....ahem...Porsche Owners....would notice

I'd love to have the latch cover though, fender covers would be nice too.

...Just thought I'd share my experiences with you all. Cheers
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #31

top looks beautiful, but for me, the boxster is most enjoyable and beautiful with the top down.

I also live in Tampa, and whenever possible, drive with the top down. If it's too hot, I blast the AC. If it's too cold, I blast the heat. As for the rain, I'll just pull over and put the top up or wait until I get to a red light. Never got too wet.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 AM   #32

Top is nice but...

I like your top. The design is very clever and since it mimics the Cayman so accurately it does make the Boxster look sweet. There are two things I do dislike however:

1) The side window treatment just looks silly. I know that it has to accomodate the Boxster side window but the end result is so goofy looking it would drive me nuts.
2) Why put a hardtop that is barely removeable on a convertible as practical as the Boxster. Most people who have regular Boxster HTs leave them on way too often. I imagine that your Zeintop is going to stay on for the life of your car since it requires so much effort to install and align. The joy of a convertible is that it converts quickly and easily from a closed car to an open one. One of the joys of the Boxster is so easy go from closed to open with just a push of a button. Why give that up?

But to each his own. Good luck with your top!
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #33

Hmmmmm

I might be able to help you here matey, when I get home I'll email you the fitting instructions which tells you how to adjust it to get the shut lines right. Hopefully that'll help/assist.

As for the attitude, I'd email Graeme at Zeintec S.A - the boss!. He's be superb with my order/questions and has been really helpful. As I understand it Zeintec USA are only an authorised distributor and the Zeintec themselves are based in South Africa - I'm sure Graeme will be none to pleased to here of bad /lack of service you've had, hell you may even get a freebie!

Dont want to post his email address here, but I can PM you if you like?

Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 AM   #34
mts

I love the top, congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll get the little bugs worked out soon.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote