Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #1

FabSpeed's new exhaust

Just installed the new FabSpeed exhaust on my 986 S today after my old system had a weld crack (FabSpeed is cutting me a GREAT deal on upgrading to the new system as a "warranty replacement").

The new system sounds fantastic and is resonance free. Install is a bit tedious, and the final result of how the tips sit isn't 100% to my liking, but it is great quality and sounds wonderful.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Just installed the new FabSpeed exhaust on my 986 S today after my old system had a weld crack (FabSpeed is cutting me a GREAT deal on upgrading to the new system as a "warranty replacement").

The new system sounds fantastic and is resonance free. Install is a bit tedious, and the final result of how the tips sit isn't 100% to my liking, but it is great quality and sounds wonderful.

Patrick
Sweet! Is this the system currently on their website, or a newer system? Any pictures of your new exhaust setup?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
This is good news!! Is this the exhaust with the dual mufflers? Based on the website pictures, it almost seems like cat-bypass pipes are included as part of the muffler package. Is this true? What are those pipes in the pictures that look like cat-bypass but have some type of baffle looking thing in the middle of them?

See this link: http://www.fabspeed.com/986Boxster_17.html
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #4

Yes this is the system that is on their website, with two mufflers. It is basically an adaptation of the Cayman system for the 986. Yes, it includes the secondary cat deletes (and cannot be used with out them, as the entire mid and rear section is proprietary). The "baffles" are just flex connectors (actually only one, on the left midpipe).

So far I'm very pleased.

Patrick
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #5

hmmm...interesting... in the picture there from the website, is it laid out improperly in the picture? the 2ndary cat bypass pipes would normally line up differently right? the angle on the side that would connect to the headers.... seems like its off, from how it's laid out in the picture...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #6

Ya..... I thought that myself when I looked at their pics.. I'll have to get a shot of the car on the lift so you can see how it all fits.

Patrick
Old 07-26-2008, 03:31 AM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Patrick,

What specifically made the install tedious? Did you do it with the bumper on?

What don't you like about the position of the tips? When I bolted on my Stebro Sport muffler, the tips weren't centered very well in the opening. I was able to loosen all of the connections and get it a lot better, but still not perfect.

I really like the Stebro; some resonance, but not bad at all. Now I want Fab's headers, Evo CAI, and your new muffler. I should have never desnorked, I haven't been satisfied since.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #8

The tedious part of the install is just lining it all up, since its two separate mufflers that connect. The bumper is only an issue if you are working on the stock system, there is TONS of room for most aftermarket systems.

We got it lined up as good as its going to get, however, its still not perfect. Essentially, the rear tips are not perfectly parallel. I'll post pics soon and you'll see what I mean.

Patrick