Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #1

New most useless mod on car

Hey guys,

Here the newest most useless mod to the car .. i mean who's really gonna be looking in your trunk ? LOLs.

But still .. I like it.

At least it doesn't add any weight .. yet. I will once the extra layers of resin and stuff to make it shine goes on. Right now its got 1 layer of carbon and just enough resin for that layer so its light and MUCH more rigid than OEM part.

We all care about structural integrity of the battery cover right ? LOLs.

Picture was taken before some more trimming / sanding was done for better fitment. Still much work to do on it before it 'shines' like a real professional part, but its a start.

This is probably my first real time working with CF. =]

I want to remove the rest of my interior ( probably all the pieces that CJ removed in This thread ) and have them covered or replaced with CF pieces, but I cant really find any good instruction.

Should I just buy one of those Boxster Manual guide CD on Ebay for $15 ?

Last edited by nefarious986; 07-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #2

I think thats actually kinda cool!

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #3

Is there plenty of clearance between the terminals and the cover as I believe carbon fiber conducts electricity?
Manxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #4

it's sharp.. but I am sorry I don't like it.. if you go carbon for that cover, you should have carbon all over the trunk!.. :P
one small part don't match with nothing.. :P
but it's still kewl :P
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That does seem really useless. How often do you use the front trunk, and how often do people look there? Plus, your adding the weight of the CF to the car.
But it does look cool!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #6

Looks cool, but do all 3 pieces and I bet it would look amazing.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #7

Sorry, but to me the 'CF' look is all about posing !!

I was working with CF before many of you were born and it's intent is as a structural, rather than an aesthetic, material. It looks the way it does because of it's composition.

Most manufacturers using CF use it for structural reasons and almost always paint it such as Ferrari, Saleen, Spyker, Pagani, and Koenigsegg. They're about using the material for it's structural, rather than any aesthetic, qualities.

You may save a few ounces substituting CF components for OEM ones, but in the end, it means NOTHING in terms of enhanced performance.

Personally, I find it a bit intrusive, that is, more often than not it interupts an aesthetic rather than enhancing it, but of course all this is VERY subjective. I think a quality color base paint job is much more attractive than the raw, burnt, polyesther (which is where the carbon cloth comes from) look of CF.

But, if YOU like it... more power to you... !!!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 07-18-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #8

I agree with most of what you said lil.

I agree with you about most of the time its an look not a performance enhancement.

Saying that I love the LOOK of my CF Center Console

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #9

Agreed 100%. An overlay is definitely NOT the way to use CF for any structural purposes.

This is just a hobby as I do love the look of CF. I do know a bit about CF's properties from the few books I read, but probably not enough to design something at Ferrari's level with CF crumple zones and such. Even then, its not going to be at the level of Ferrari simply because I m not going to be using prepreg, freezers and autoclaves.

Eventually, hopefully I'll be able to build a hood that uses CF's structural properties to save some weight. I think the most advance stuff I'll be doing when it gets to the hood is probably infusion. However, for now, its purely cosmetic and would add the weight of CF and resin to the stock part's weight.

Like I said, most useless mod. LOLs.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Personally I like it... I don't think it really matters whether you're showing off the front trunk or not. It's kinda like lingerie. It's fun just knowing there's something sexy underneath that you catch a glimpse of once in a while.

On my car I'm kinda going for a silver, black, chrome, and carbon fiber theme throughout. In the front trunk I've installed chrome washer and brake fluid caps, chrome caps over most fasteners and lots of little things. Like I wrapped the wiring in nice, black wire loom under the covers. I painted the clamp for the battery silver. I took out the wiper motor assembly and painted the arms and base silver and replaced the yellow zinc plated bolts with clear zinc plated bolts. I painted the horn silver. I polished the AC tubing. etc, etc... Personally I think it looks neat and clean and cost me pretty much nothing but time.

Today my 16 yr old son and I took on another project that was inspired by this thread. My son did most of the work:

Here you can see that I also cleaned up the spare tire and painted the bracket for it silver.

Again, sure stuff like this is obsessive and maybe no one else will see it, but I'm not doing it for anyone else. I'm doing it for my own satisfaction and my son and I had a good time working together on it today - which is priceless.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #11

Kirk. Thats pretty cool man. Even better is that you gotta spend this time with your son. Bet he loved it. I sure wish my dad did some of this stuff with me when I was young.

Anyways, quick update.

I am going to do all three pieces, as well as the plastic piece that covers the wind shield wiper. In my head right now, that would look great. Of course, that depends on your taste.

This time I am going to do it right and make mold so it comes out as close to perfect as possible.

Man, this is going to be an expensive hobby. =T
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
looks good, if i had the money to waste id take 1..

- but i still think the Trunk Monkey takes the cake for "Must Useless Mod"
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
Kirk. Thats pretty cool man. Even better is that you gotta spend this time with your son. Bet he loved it. I sure wish my dad did some of this stuff with me when I was young.

Anyways, quick update.

I am going to do all three pieces, as well as the plastic piece that covers the wind shield wiper. In my head right now, that would look great. Of course, that depends on your taste.

This time I am going to do it right and make mold so it comes out as close to perfect as possible.

Man, this is going to be an expensive hobby. =T
If you do end up making the whole deal CF, post pics. If it looks good/fits well I wouldn't mind buying one off you (if they are for sale of course). I agree, its not one of those things that I show everyone, its just cool/fun knowing you have it there.

p.s. Kirk, I like the chrome caps on the washer/brake fluid. Where did you get them? I may consider putting the brake cap on next time I change the brake fluid (don't want to open the brake system unnecessarily and let moisture in).

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #14

More uselessness.

Will post more pix when the clear coat dries and its mounted back on the car.

Kirk, I m coming for u buddy. Lets see who's gonna have more CF on their car. LOL!
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
p.s. Kirk, I like the chrome caps on the washer/brake fluid. Where did you get them?
Maxspeed Motorsports:

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/oilcaps.html

They also sell them on eBay, but I'm pretty sure the price is the same.
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #16

pricey for some caps..ill have to mulch it around in my head

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)