Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #1

Question Boxster oil change (capacity)

Last yr I had the dealer do an oil/filter change on my '06 Boxster. The invoice showed I was charger for 10 quarts. I challanged that number based on my reading of the oil capacity in the owner's manual and got credit back for 2 qts. Last week I took the car in for 2 yr service and again the invoice showed 10 qts which I challanged and got knocked back to 8. Just curious if other dealers are trying to rip you folks off or is it just mine??

wvu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #2

My 986 took a bit over nine quarts (with filter change) to bring the level near the upper mark on the dipstick when I changed mine recently.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #3

Covered this before. I assume your dealer uses the 1 quart plastic containers.

If they use 9.2 quarts you get charged for 10. Someone in the shop gets to keep the .8 leftover.

If they use brake cleaner to clean something, and use 2 shots from the can. You pay for the entire can.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #4

This shop dispenses from a hose with a metered hand held nozzle so they should be able to get accurate measurement to a fraction. And I did have the priveledge of paying for the whole can of break cleaner. Next time I go in I'll ask that if I'm to be chagred for a can that the rest of it be put in the trunk- and see what happens.
wvu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #5

987 oil capacity

The last time I changed oil in the Boxster, the level mark was spot on with about
8.2 quarts of fluid. This included a change of the filter as well...so 10 quarts is about 20% too much according to htose numbers.
davzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #6

I have owned my 987 since January and changed the oil at 3000 miles. The dealer charged me for 9 quarts and it is approaching time to service again. My question, is it necessary to change synthetic oils this often?
90 Miata
bnordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #7

bnordin, please see other thread already in progress:
Oil change intervals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnordin
My question, is it necessary to change synthetic oils this often?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #8

Exclamation Do not over fill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Covered this before. I assume your dealer uses the 1 quart plastic containers.

If they use 9.2 quarts you get charged for 10. Someone in the shop gets to keep the .8 leftover.
2 weeks ago I changed my oil first time. Engine was @ operating temp and I let it drain for over an hour. I also changed the filter. So, stupid me, (in somekind of hurry to get to drive again), poured 9qts in. And of course it was over full.

I had to take filter off twice and empty it, before it was just 'full'.
01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #9

I did my first oil change a few weeks ago. After warming the car up I put it on jack stands so it was level, drained the oil for probably 30 minutes while replacing the oil filter. I expected around 9.2 qts per the manual but it took about 9.7 qts to get it to the full mark. The dashboard meter reads all bars if it's set level overnight, otherwise it reads right on the full mark.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #10

Back in '99, Porsche revised the engine oil capacity for the M96 engine from:

Oil Change w/o filter
    to: 8.5L (8.98Q)

Oil Change w/ filter
    to: 8.75L (9.24Q)

This change was noted in TSB# Boxster 2/99 1 1701

Prior to this change, the proper fill level was 1 Bar from the top on the digital gauge and to the 'Full' mark on the dipstick (where applicable).

The problem is, while Porsche changed the capacity, they did NOT change the means by which to measure the proper level. There has been no revision to the digital Sending unit nor have they released a dipstick with a modified mark to reflect the change in capacity. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but there it is.

So, according to this TSB, running at the revised capacity, you should be filling to slightly over the 'Full' mark on the dipstick, and to the top mark on the digi gauge (though this is impossible to really measure because there is no longer an 'Overfull' indicator). In other words, there is no longer an acurate way to measure the 'Full' level at all.

Realize that the digi gauge gives you a very generous OK range of 7 (formerly 6) Bars. Each Bar represents 1 Cup. This means that the OK range is equal to 1.75 Qts.

Obsessing about getting the crankcase 'Full' risks having an overfill which can damage the engine due to foaming of the Oil, etc.

If you stick to the old marks on the guage and the dipstick, while you may not be running at the absolute revised capacity, you will nonetheless remain well within the OK range.

If truly anal about it, you can always measure exactly how much oil you take out when draining it (including the filter) and refill only that amount. Just be sure to give the car at least 20 min. drain time to be sure you get out most of the old oil.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Back in '99, Porsche revised the engine oil capacity for the M96 engine from:

Oil Change w/o filter

Oil Change w/ filter

This change was noted in TSB# Boxster 2/99 1 1701.
Thanks man. This explains my problem with overfill. Make long story short I cannot use dipstick to measure mine. 5 mechanics have tried to put dipstick back after I first time took it out. I even bought a new one and dealership mechanics still could not piut it in. So I must trust the gauge.
- Tip
- PSE
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- 986 emblem
- Yellow center console
- Eibach Pro springs
Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #12

Stupid Question Dept.

Hi, I just bought a '99 with just under 15K miles on it from the local Porsche dealer, which had just done a 15K service on it. It's an absolute cherry car as best I can tell. Service records show no problems through 2004, except that the previous owner apparently stopped driving and servicing it after 12500 miles, since there are no service records from 2004 until Oct 2008. Had I realized the problems these low-mileage 99s have with RMS and engine failures, I would have questioned things more but I was dazzled by the car and the low mileage and the fact that they had done the 15K service. OK, so I drove it a couple of hundred miles in a week with no issues at all, and believe me, after reading the forums here, I was checking for oil drips with a white tablecloth. Since there were no drips, I was starting to breathe easier. Last Sunday I drove it about 100 miles, brought it home and parked it. An hour later, I came out and checked for drips and found a 3" puddle. This was located near the rear passenger tire. I couldn't see where it was coming from but didn't see any hanging drips anywhere underneath. I then checked the electronic oil gauge and it showed overfull (now it just shows "full"). The dipstick is hard to read but also appears to be very full.

I have an appointment with an independent Porsche mechanic but would like some advice:

1. Could the puddle of oil be caused just by being overfull or some other relatively inexpensive cause? I need to be able to discuss things intelligently with the mechanic . . .

2. I don't notice any problems or smoke when it runs, but it seems to run rich (i.e., kind of stinky exhaust). It starts easily and runs smoothly but sure doesn't seem all that fast -- but then it's only a 2.5L and I have never driven another Boxster so I wouldn't know. Still, it seems like my automatic Scion tC is faster and that makes me wonder.

3. What is the risk that this car may suffer a blown engine, due to being a low mileage '99? (it was made in Germany in June 1999, if that helps). I am a very easy driver and my other cars last forever. I can stand the high maintenance costs but I absolutely cannot afford a blown engine. I realize any car can have a blown engine but it is outrageous that there are so many reports of Boxster engine failure. I thought my Porsche was a pretty car in beautiful condition that might last forever, but if engine failure is a significant risk, I'm better off to resell it in Spring and buy a Corvette or Z car or S2000. By "significant" I mean more than, say 3% or so -- low enough that it is highly unlikely to fail, even if 3% is higher than other cars. I can't live with a 20% chance.

Sure wish I had known this stuff in advance. I feel really dumb.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #13

look - it's the internet - EVERYTHING is a super huge enormous big deal. Yes some of these cars have some issues...like every other car maker out there. The 2 Lexus in my garage next to my Boxster are no exception (which incidentally was a low mileage '99 when I bought it - still is low at only 33K but I digress).

Was the puddle oil or coolant?

Bottom line.... relax. You have a higher chance of being struck by lightening (1 in 5000 if you live to be 80 according to the NWS ) than of having problems w/ your Boxster ...1 in 200,000+. In fact it should be statistically higher than that now b/c there have been a few instances where one person has had 2 or more bad ones

Look, enjoy the car as it truly is fantastic. Find out what the leak was and where it was from. Get it remedied. I can assure you it wasn't the IMS as you'd definitely know when it was... If you find out what the leak was on your own, let us know and we'll all gladly help you fix it DIY to same some $$$.

Congrats on your new Boxster and welcome.

PS - Only those who sell replacement engines say it's a 20% failure rate Actually one who has become quite well know as of late says it's less than 10%. Statistically, no one knows but PAG and they ain't sayin. My WAG is under 5%.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Burg Boxster- it's ][QUOTE]
Amen to thatt
- Tip
- PSE
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- 986 emblem
- Yellow center console
- Eibach Pro springs
Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #15

I always open a tenth quart of Mobil One when changing oil on my '02 S...keep the rest on the shelf for a top off at some point between changes. Mine only gets changed once a year because I only run up around 2500 miles during the course of 12 months.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #16

Garage
Quote;

Oil Change w/o filter

Oil Change w/ filter

With these numbers at the next oil change just put in exactly that much, start and run the car. Shut it off and allow the oil to settle and check the dipstick/gauge. Remark the stick (if needed) at the oil's level and note the electronic gauge. Problem solved.