Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Boxster S Questions.. thinking about buying

I see a number of 2001 Boxster S's for sale that interest me a great deal. So i've got a whole list of questions..

-Are there any differences between the 2001 and 2002 models? i.e. any real reason someone would want a 2002 over a 2001 given the same mileage?

-The sound options confuse me. Looking at 2003 configurator, there is no information on what each sound option is. so...
1. what does the stock 2001/2002 sound system consist of? (tape, cd, # of speakers, sound quality, features, any info)
2. the following are all options. What exactly do they add to the sound system?:
:BOSE (Digital) with Windstop
:BOSE High End Sound Package
:Hi-Fi Sound Package (Digital)
:Porsche Communication Management (PCM) II

-For those who have driven both an S an non S for 2001 or 2002 years.. Do the S's feel faster? handle differently? what are your impressions on one vs the other?

appreciate the feedback!

Old 09-29-2002, 06:44 AM   #2

Being an audio head, Porsche sound systems are actually pretty poor. The best sound in the Porsche is the Porsche!

I would not recommend putting a whole lot of $$ in the factory sound systems. However, go for what sounds good to you. You can always look into an aftermarket system; however, my dealer has told me it might void the warranty if one add significant electronic mods. The cars are basically a sound-system installer's nightmare.

I have a 2001 Boxster (non-S) and have the Audio upgrade with door and dash speakers, power amp (Porshce claims 160 Watts, but I really expect it might only hit that power on peak, and rather distorted), and in-dash CD/radio uiit made by Becker. I have not listened to the newer Bose units; however, I have never been a big fan of Bose. Bose delivers failry good power in general, but tends to come out thin on richness, bass and treble lacks details.

The GPS stuff looks cool and might be fun. I never use maps and hate asking for directions (my wife keeps insisting it is a guy thing).

In '01, I tested the S and non-S. The S definately had a bit more power and was noticable, especially on the hwy towards the top-end of the power curve. I did not notice any differences in handling. Hoever, at the time, I had difficulty in justifying $9,000 for the S. Looking back, I am not sure, as I am slowly looking at mods .....

One item I highly recommend getting is factory installed Litronic headlights.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures!!!

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote