View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 06:44 AM   #2
ehljags

Being an audio head, Porsche sound systems are actually pretty poor. The best sound in the Porsche is the Porsche!

I would not recommend putting a whole lot of $$ in the factory sound systems. However, go for what sounds good to you. You can always look into an aftermarket system; however, my dealer has told me it might void the warranty if one add significant electronic mods. The cars are basically a sound-system installer's nightmare.

I have a 2001 Boxster (non-S) and have the Audio upgrade with door and dash speakers, power amp (Porshce claims 160 Watts, but I really expect it might only hit that power on peak, and rather distorted), and in-dash CD/radio uiit made by Becker. I have not listened to the newer Bose units; however, I have never been a big fan of Bose. Bose delivers failry good power in general, but tends to come out thin on richness, bass and treble lacks details.

The GPS stuff looks cool and might be fun. I never use maps and hate asking for directions (my wife keeps insisting it is a guy thing).

In '01, I tested the S and non-S. The S definately had a bit more power and was noticable, especially on the hwy towards the top-end of the power curve. I did not notice any differences in handling. Hoever, at the time, I had difficulty in justifying $9,000 for the S. Looking back, I am not sure, as I am slowly looking at mods .....

One item I highly recommend getting is factory installed Litronic headlights.

Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures!!!
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote