986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche Goes Electric (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/17281-porsche-goes-electric.html)

Perfectlap 06-23-2008 02:27 PM

Porsche Goes Electric

Not sure if you missed this but a bunch of guys in Florida are ripping out Porsche engines and putting in electric. 85% charge in 40 minutes on some units.

Electric 959 or 993

www.electricporsche.net

http://jalopnik.com/cars/alternative-energy/electric-porsche-959-in-a-sense-234273.php

http://www.worldclassexotics.com/959sm1.jpg

"Typical Porsche 911 install would include 16-28 batteries depending on range, weight, and speed desired. These electric cars have respectable performance, 0-60 can be around 5 seconds.

2000 amp controller with 269 volts, 11" WCE motor in 4th gear at a .98 ratio = 1,200 ft lbs of Torque!

The Electric Porsche drives like a normal Porsche but Electric motors don't stall, the torque is available from the start. Very easy to drive. Generally 4th 5th and reverse are only used. If a direct drive is what you want we can design a special system for you.

Lithium in the new Porsches (99-'08) also offers a close final weight with the gas '08 and with rear trunk to boot. The front trunk is untouched, more overall.

16KWH - 225 lbs. with 75 mile range per charge......................... .........................$16,000

32KWH - 445 lbs. with 120-150 mile range.......................... .....................$26,000

64KWH - 890 lbs. capable of over 300 mile range........................ .....................$49,000

Any size pack from 100-1000 lbs available. Lithium batteries come in aluminum cases with Battery Management System."

now rather than drilling in Miami Beach, why don't we tax Big Oil to pay for one of these for everyone? LOL :cheers:

Perfectlap 06-23-2008 02:52 PM

Electric 914

cartagena 06-23-2008 03:01 PM

I hereby promise to chop down at least one tree in the rain forest for each Porsche that is mutilated in this manner.

nola911 06-23-2008 03:14 PM

I am afraid to admit that if I were to own a 914, this is the way I would do it... remember, mother nature first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRDQBY9XGfg&feature=related

Quickurt 06-23-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartagena
I hereby promise to chop down at least one tree in the rain forest for each Porsche that is mutilated in this manner.

I'll come down with my high-test burning, oil smokin' two stroke chainsaw and we'll do a dozen more :cheers:

Perfectlap 06-23-2008 03:41 PM

^ you guys are funny but man I'm gettin' tired of making these Oil Guys rich.
Gasoline is totally assenine....I hope this electric car in a Porsche thing takes off.

_FAQ__________________________________
"What about EvPorsche Hybrids? For people who are not ready to take the plunge in an all electric vehicle.

We offer 3 different options.

1). First we have an electric-start generators that are mounted on board, typically in the front of the 911. It powers the charger that charges while you are driving, sitting, in, or away from the car. Just hit the electric start from the dash when you need it. Depending on your amp-out requirements they will extend your range, or with a larger unit, offer range limited only by fuel which can be propane, natural gas, or gasoline (ughh). 3 gallons lasts over 5 hours with our electric start 4000watt gen. If you have to use fuel the mpg is around 100 mpg.

2) The second option is 2 suitcase generators, quiet, small, 45 lbs ea., enclosed, connected together. Carry them when you might need them, leave them at home when you don't. Also can be run on the road, driving, or sitting.

3) We are also offering a new integrated hybrid system for ANY front engine, rear wheel drive, automatic cars, '96 or newer, that incorporates our drive shaft mounted electric assist motor. The system gives approx. 28% better fuel mileage with the electric motor kicking in when most needed- under acceleration. Other advantages are a) lower installation costs than a full EV, b) no range issue, integrates into the transmission computer and c) pays for itself over short time. Its truly an inexpensive conversion for those front engine, rear wheel drive, automatics like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and American cars as well as delivery trucks, taxis, school buses etc.

How far can I go on a charge? A pack can be designed for your needs. Its how many amp hours you want to buy, you could buy enough to drive 50 in lithium or lead acid and over 300 miles with Lithium. You may want to buy the least that you are comfortable with. You can add more, but you may not want to carry extra weight around if you don't really need to. Even a 50 mile car can be driven 300 miles in a day with couple hour charges each extended stop.

What are the pros and cons of Lithium Batteries? They have come a long way and now are safer, more powerful, faster charging, lighter weight and take up less space. The drawback is a bit more complexity with the need of a Battery Management System, and wiring and managing of hundreds or thousands of cells. The good news is after our configuring, and BMS system is in place, it should not require user interface. Batteries are monitored to keep from overcharging or getting hot from hard acceleration. Voltage drop in Lithium cells is almost non-existent meaning more power to the ground. Lithium cells are offered in many chemistries. Different battery manufacturers offer solutions to range and/or speed requests. The "C" rating of a battery shows its ability to multiply amp hour ratings for "burst power". Amp hour x "C" for 10-15 sec. burst power means the 10amp battery with a 10C rating can put out burst power of 100 amps from a single 10 amp li-po. The new 25C rated battery burst power of 250 amps! Ratings of 3C - 25C are now available allowing for balance of vehicle performance needs to range requested. In a Porsche, as space is at a premium, Lithium cells offer about 2/3 more luggage space than conventional batteries. Also a Lithium Porsche capable of 120 mile range has a very close overall weight to its OEM gasoline counterpart. All EVPorsche cars offers better weight distribution and lower center of gravity, Lithium also offers the total weight advantage. Several battery companies are claiming incredible charge times, cycles, range and lifespan. EvPorsche is dedicated to continuing research and staying abreast of developing Lithium vehicles capable of incredible performance and agility.

How long does it take to charge? That really depends on how many amp hours that you took out of your pack last time you drove the car, what voltage and amperage you are putting it back in at. It can be from 20min-2 hours on 230volt. 20-40amp chargers typically are used on board. A solar collected, higher voltage set of batteries could be connected, ex.- an Ev-Carport, to the Ev set and move that energy at 250amps, or in about 5-10 min. When I plug in my garage its generally filled back up in 20 min- 2 hours.

How long do the batteries last? The odyssey lead acids are claimed to last 8 years with a 4 year full replacement warrantee. Lithiums are in the 4-12 year range depending on chemistry type, number of cycles, depth of discharge.

What if I don't have 220volts available to charge my EvPorsche with? Most anywhere you can find 110volt -normal house current. We include an adaptor that allows you to plug your charger into 110 for a slower but convenient charge. The old gas filler is used. Not that you wouldn't be watching your "gas" gauge but if needed most Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams, and other warehouse stores have RV parking in the outskirts of the lot to plug in while you are shopping.

How do I know how much juice left? The PakTrakr gauge give stats on Voltage, Amps draw, individual bank state of charge. That and the speedo are about the only gauges to watch as there is no more overheating, charging, or gas to worry about anymore...

What about Maintenance of the EV components? The batteries, motor,& controller are basically maintenance free, no tune-ups. We are working on an infrastructure of techs around the world that can help if the unexpected occurs. The Controller connects to a laptop or PDA for error codes. Usually tech support can be accessed by troubleshooting phone problem solving.

Does anything happen with the A/C, power windows, locks and other accessories? The objective is for the electric components of the car to still work as it did as a gasser. There are 2 ways that the air conditioning can be done; using the drive system motor or using another dedicated DC motor. The electric system is left in the donor car to minimize any changes to any other electrical systems separate from our drive propulsion system.

How Fast will the EvPorsche go? We can build for quickness, top speed, range, or handling but easily into the triple digits. 0-60 can be around 5 seconds, 0-100 faster with 2 motors and series to parallel switching.

How does the Series-Parallel switching work? With the 2 motor setup we offer in the 8", 9", and 11" motors. By using 2 motors mated together with some special software, programming, and a couple of reversing contactors switching to "parallel" accelerates hard 50-100mph again as it did from 0-50mph

The 2 motor system with the (2) 9s has a little more RPM, HP with a bit more total weight than (1) 11" motor. The 11" has the bottom end grunt to pull 4th gear Porsches off the line hard without hesitation. If you are spending most of your time in the 50+ mph range the 2 motor system may work best for you, if you are more city or under 50 more than above the single 11" offers great pull. For big power requirements the 13" offers the series-parallel switching with 1 motor.

How cost effective is an EV? You can save approx $7k a year on fuel/maintenance...or $49k in 7 years. If you live in the UK you can pay for your Porsche in just a few years with the savings...call me for details@ 561-301-2369

What does a 911 Porsches price point start at? Around $42K will get you a Boxster and our conversion on it. or $48K for a 911, donor and our EV conversion to it.

How much does does it cost to charge? Depends on how much you take out, but most cars are around 30cents-$1.50 per charge.

Are EVs good Daily Drivers? Yes I drive them 95% of my driving, they are just more fun, getting to speed quickly, coasting silently...

What about Financing?: We offer layaway and payment plan for 1 year or you can secure a conventional loan from a specialty car lender like- JJBEST at http://www.jjbest.com/ "
"

Quickurt 06-23-2008 04:16 PM

It's real easy to get all upset at those rich bastards who own the oil companies, or "Big Oil."
If you have Mutual Funds or retirement accounts, you more than likely need to go find a mirror and cuss yourself out, because you own them.

http://www.energytomorrow.org/economy/Do_You_Own_an_Oil_Company_.aspx

Almost 43 percent of oil and natural gas company shares are owned by mutual funds and asset management companies

Twenty seven percent of shares are owned by other institutional investors like pension funds.

Fourteen percent of shares are held in IRA and other personal retirement accounts.

Five percent is owned by "other institutional investors"

1.5 percent owned by oil industry insiders and executives.

Remember everyone was all pissed off that the retiring Exxon CEO got all those bizzillion dollars? He got like 1/2% of the profits Exxon made OVER the industry average, and Exxon profits were included to establish the industry average. Look above to see who made the other 99.5% HE earned them.

The industry average is 9% profit margin.
The national average for taxes on a gallon of gas is just under $.50 per gallon.
Do a little math and you'll see that in order for the oil company to make $.50 on a gallon of gas, the WHOLESALE price would have to be $5.60 per gallon. This would be before: retailer profit and the $.50 tax.
Now also consider the evil oil company had to invest $5.10 for each and every one of those 50 cent pieces they make, while the governments (local, state and federal) didn't invest one penny or produce one drop of anything to collect their 50 cent piece.

I'm tired of everyone belly-aching about the amount of profit the oil industry makes, taken completely out of context of what they have invested and what they go through to bring us a gallon of gas for a little less than we pay for a gallon of milk and a pittance of what we pay for a friggin bottle of water.
The main human garbage leading the charge against those oil companies are who? POS politicians. They already stole the entire nation's Social Security Fund, by siphoning it off and spending it as general revenue, on every welfare vote buying scheme they could cook up. Now, they want to tax away the profits of those evil oil companies. One look above and you'll see what they really want. They want the nation's PRIVATE retirement funds also.
It looks like the royal class wants us all to work ourselves to the bone, until the day we drop, so they can play bigshots of the world. :matchup:

gregdacat 06-23-2008 04:18 PM

Okay let me get this straight. It has to be charged by a 220v circuit or in a pinch household 110v. For most of the US that current comes from natural gas or coal. So, aren't we just trading one finite fossil fuel for another. Anybody remember California a few years ago?

Call me when they develop the hydrogen fuel cell Porsche. If it's good enough to power the sun, it is good enough to get me to work.

Greg

2002 Triple Black, 64,000 Miles, desnorkled, bumper plugs, Nitrogen filled tires

cartagena 06-23-2008 04:39 PM

I am doing the closing on a lot this week that is on top of a mountain very close to pristine rain forest. I doubt human feet have ever walked on what will soon be my driveway and pool. I plan to clear cut the whole thing in about a month to make room for my new villa..... ha ha ha...I should video tape it to upset some of the tree huggers.

Electric cars are for pussies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
I'll come down with my high-test burning, oil smokin' two stroke chainsaw and we'll do a dozen more :cheers:

ultimate1 06-23-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

It's real easy to get all upset at those rich bastards who own the oil companies, or "Big Oil."
If you have Mutual Funds or retirement accounts, you more than likely need to go find a mirror and cuss yourself out, because you own them.

Almost 43 percent of oil and natural gas company shares are owned by mutual funds and asset management companies

Twenty seven percent of shares are owned by other institutional investors like pension funds.

Fourteen percent of shares are held in IRA and other personal retirement accounts.

Remember everyone was all pissed off that the retiring Exxon CEO got all those bizzillion dollars? He got like 1/2% of the profits Exxon made OVER the industry average, and Exxon profits were included to establish the industry average. Look above to see who made the other 99.5% HE earned them.

The national average for taxes on a gallon of gas is just under $.50 per gallon.
Do a little math and you'll see that in order for the oil company to make $.50 on a gallon of gas, the WHOLESALE price would have to be $5.60 per gallon. This would be before: retailer profit and the $.50 tax.
Now also consider the evil oil company had to invest $5.10 for each and every one of those 50 cent pieces they make, while the governments (local, state and federal) didn't invest one penny or produce one drop of anything to collect their 50 cent piece.

I'm tired of everyone belly-aching about the amount of profit the oil industry makes, taken completely out of context of what they have invested and what they go through to bring us a gallon of gas for a little less than we pay for a gallon of milk and a pittance of what we pay for a friggin bottle of water.
The main human garbage leading the charge against those oil companies are who? POS politicians. They already stole the entire nation's Social Security Fund, by siphoning it off and spending it as general revenue, on every welfare vote buying scheme they could cook up. Now, they want to tax away the profits of those evil oil companies. One look above and you'll see what they really want. They want the nation's PRIVATE retirement funds also.
It looks like the royal class wants us all to work ourselves to the bone, until the day we drop, so they can play bigshots of the world. :matchup:

I think the "royal class" as you put it are already playing bigshots to the world. I agree that the people complaining about the high price of oil and the evil oil companies is somewhat hypocritical. The reality is that our dollar has dropped 34% since the 2000 election and if we had maintained our dollar or taken steps to increase the value of the dollar then we would be paying about $2.85 a gallon. Furthermore the geniouses that wanted to go into Iraq and the sabre rattling with Iran certainly does not help the situation. I stopped giving a damn along time ago and decided that I got to make my money on Washington's lack of intelligence and integrity. Anyway I am with you on the political front but we got to find a way to get along without oil at some point.

Brucelee 06-23-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxferran
I am afraid to admit that if I were to own a 914, this is the way I would do it... remember, mother nature first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRDQBY9XGfg&feature=related

What exactly does THAT mean?

:)

Brucelee 06-23-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ you guys are funny but man I'm gettin' tired of making these Oil Guys rich.
Gasoline is totally assenine....I hope this electric car in a Porsche thing takes off.

_FAQ__________________________________
"What about EvPorsche Hybrids? For people who are not ready to take the plunge in an all electric vehicle.

We offer 3 different options.

1). First we have an electric-start generators that are mounted on board, typically in the front of the 911. It powers the charger that charges while you are driving, sitting, in, or away from the car. Just hit the electric start from the dash when you need it. Depending on your amp-out requirements they will extend your range, or with a larger unit, offer range limited only by fuel which can be propane, natural gas, or gasoline (ughh). 3 gallons lasts over 5 hours with our electric start 4000watt gen. If you have to use fuel the mpg is around 100 mpg.

2) The second option is 2 suitcase generators, quiet, small, 45 lbs ea., enclosed, connected together. Carry them when you might need them, leave them at home when you don't. Also can be run on the road, driving, or sitting.

3) We are also offering a new integrated hybrid system for ANY front engine, rear wheel drive, automatic cars, '96 or newer, that incorporates our drive shaft mounted electric assist motor. The system gives approx. 28% better fuel mileage with the electric motor kicking in when most needed- under acceleration. Other advantages are a) lower installation costs than a full EV, b) no range issue, integrates into the transmission computer and c) pays for itself over short time. Its truly an inexpensive conversion for those front engine, rear wheel drive, automatics like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and American cars as well as delivery trucks, taxis, school buses etc.

How far can I go on a charge? A pack can be designed for your needs. Its how many amp hours you want to buy, you could buy enough to drive 50 in lithium or lead acid and over 300 miles with Lithium. You may want to buy the least that you are comfortable with. You can add more, but you may not want to carry extra weight around if you don't really need to. Even a 50 mile car can be driven 300 miles in a day with couple hour charges each extended stop.

What are the pros and cons of Lithium Batteries? They have come a long way and now are safer, more powerful, faster charging, lighter weight and take up less space. The drawback is a bit more complexity with the need of a Battery Management System, and wiring and managing of hundreds or thousands of cells. The good news is after our configuring, and BMS system is in place, it should not require user interface. Batteries are monitored to keep from overcharging or getting hot from hard acceleration. Voltage drop in Lithium cells is almost non-existent meaning more power to the ground. Lithium cells are offered in many chemistries. Different battery manufacturers offer solutions to range and/or speed requests. The "C" rating of a battery shows its ability to multiply amp hour ratings for "burst power". Amp hour x "C" for 10-15 sec. burst power means the 10amp battery with a 10C rating can put out burst power of 100 amps from a single 10 amp li-po. The new 25C rated battery burst power of 250 amps! Ratings of 3C - 25C are now available allowing for balance of vehicle performance needs to range requested. In a Porsche, as space is at a premium, Lithium cells offer about 2/3 more luggage space than conventional batteries. Also a Lithium Porsche capable of 120 mile range has a very close overall weight to its OEM gasoline counterpart. All EVPorsche cars offers better weight distribution and lower center of gravity, Lithium also offers the total weight advantage. Several battery companies are claiming incredible charge times, cycles, range and lifespan. EvPorsche is dedicated to continuing research and staying abreast of developing Lithium vehicles capable of incredible performance and agility.

How long does it take to charge? That really depends on how many amp hours that you took out of your pack last time you drove the car, what voltage and amperage you are putting it back in at. It can be from 20min-2 hours on 230volt. 20-40amp chargers typically are used on board. A solar collected, higher voltage set of batteries could be connected, ex.- an Ev-Carport, to the Ev set and move that energy at 250amps, or in about 5-10 min. When I plug in my garage its generally filled back up in 20 min- 2 hours.

How long do the batteries last? The odyssey lead acids are claimed to last 8 years with a 4 year full replacement warrantee. Lithiums are in the 4-12 year range depending on chemistry type, number of cycles, depth of discharge.

What if I don't have 220volts available to charge my EvPorsche with? Most anywhere you can find 110volt -normal house current. We include an adaptor that allows you to plug your charger into 110 for a slower but convenient charge. The old gas filler is used. Not that you wouldn't be watching your "gas" gauge but if needed most Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams, and other warehouse stores have RV parking in the outskirts of the lot to plug in while you are shopping.

How do I know how much juice left? The PakTrakr gauge give stats on Voltage, Amps draw, individual bank state of charge. That and the speedo are about the only gauges to watch as there is no more overheating, charging, or gas to worry about anymore...

What about Maintenance of the EV components? The batteries, motor,& controller are basically maintenance free, no tune-ups. We are working on an infrastructure of techs around the world that can help if the unexpected occurs. The Controller connects to a laptop or PDA for error codes. Usually tech support can be accessed by troubleshooting phone problem solving.

Does anything happen with the A/C, power windows, locks and other accessories? The objective is for the electric components of the car to still work as it did as a gasser. There are 2 ways that the air conditioning can be done; using the drive system motor or using another dedicated DC motor. The electric system is left in the donor car to minimize any changes to any other electrical systems separate from our drive propulsion system.

How Fast will the EvPorsche go? We can build for quickness, top speed, range, or handling but easily into the triple digits. 0-60 can be around 5 seconds, 0-100 faster with 2 motors and series to parallel switching.

How does the Series-Parallel switching work? With the 2 motor setup we offer in the 8", 9", and 11" motors. By using 2 motors mated together with some special software, programming, and a couple of reversing contactors switching to "parallel" accelerates hard 50-100mph again as it did from 0-50mph

The 2 motor system with the (2) 9s has a little more RPM, HP with a bit more total weight than (1) 11" motor. The 11" has the bottom end grunt to pull 4th gear Porsches off the line hard without hesitation. If you are spending most of your time in the 50+ mph range the 2 motor system may work best for you, if you are more city or under 50 more than above the single 11" offers great pull. For big power requirements the 13" offers the series-parallel switching with 1 motor.

How cost effective is an EV? You can save approx $7k a year on fuel/maintenance...or $49k in 7 years. If you live in the UK you can pay for your Porsche in just a few years with the savings...call me for details@ 561-301-2369

What does a 911 Porsches price point start at? Around $42K will get you a Boxster and our conversion on it. or $48K for a 911, donor and our EV conversion to it.

How much does does it cost to charge? Depends on how much you take out, but most cars are around 30cents-$1.50 per charge.

Are EVs good Daily Drivers? Yes I drive them 95% of my driving, they are just more fun, getting to speed quickly, coasting silently...

What about Financing?: We offer layaway and payment plan for 1 year or you can secure a conventional loan from a specialty car lender like- JJBEST at http://www.jjbest.com/ "
"

Where does the electricity come from? It is what, from thin air?

Brucelee 06-23-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Indeed. I believe the tax on a gallon of gas is in excess of the profits to the oil companies.

:D

ultimate1 06-23-2008 06:36 PM

You know I agree that electricity does not come from air. I think if the morons in Washington would just build some more nuclear plants and make a commitment to build a solar farm in the desert then the juice for the electric car would be more readily available without crude oil and make a lot of sense. I dig the new hydrogen car that Honda has in CA but we would need to use a ridiculous sum of oil to build the infrastructure for such a car to succeed.

Nuclear, Solar and Wind would make electric cars sensible. The problem is that both parties have conspired to present us with choosing between two energy plans that were concocted by the oil execs and ethanol execs to continue America's enslavement to oil. The worst is yet to come and I am glad I went short the past few days and killed it. I will let Bernanke bs the public over the next few days and go hit the buy index put buttons again on the next rally.

Just for giggles and kicks these electric car guys are not too far away from me. How about if I go and see if I can do a test drive for us and give you all an honest report on the good the bad and the ugly of these cars?

nola911 06-23-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
What exactly does THAT mean?

I simply meant my 914 would not be the electric version in the video above, it would be the fast as hell v8 rubber burner in the video I posted....

Lil bastard 06-23-2008 09:19 PM

I don't think you can look at the price/profit for a gallon of gasoline, but rather look at the breakdown of the profit on a 42 gal. barrel of crude.

One barrel of refined crude yields, in addition to Gasoline, Diesel Fuel, #2 Heating Oil, Jet Fuel, Kerosene, Propane, Motor Oil and assorted Petrochemicals.

When all these are factored in, the Oil Cos. are doing just fine - yielding a little over $70/Bbl profit. At today's wholesale prices, that hovers near 50% of the market price (especially when you factor in Oil Depletion Allowances)... that's more than a reasonable profit margin.

rick3000 06-23-2008 10:06 PM

People have been converting 914's to electric for years. I actually thought about doing a conversion myself last year, but then I found out the average conversion runs about $25k.

Brucelee 06-24-2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate1
You know I agree that electricity does not come from air. I think if the morons in Washington would just build some more nuclear plants and make a commitment to build a solar farm in the desert then the juice for the electric car would be more readily available without crude oil and make a lot of sense. I dig the new hydrogen car that Honda has in CA but we would need to use a ridiculous sum of oil to build the infrastructure for such a car to succeed.

Nuclear, Solar and Wind would make electric cars sensible. The problem is that both parties have conspired to present us with choosing between two energy plans that were concocted by the oil execs and ethanol execs to continue America's enslavement to oil. The worst is yet to come and I am glad I went short the past few days and killed it. I will let Bernanke bs the public over the next few days and go hit the buy index put buttons again on the next rally.

Just for giggles and kicks these electric car guys are not too far away from me. How about if I go and see if I can do a test drive for us and give you all an honest report on the good the bad and the ugly of these cars?

Agreed. The guys in DC are morons and yes, electric cars could be the BOMB.

Now, if we could only decide to develop our own energy sources. That would be nice.

Brucelee 06-24-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxferran
I simply meant my 914 would not be the electric version in the video above, it would be the fast as hell v8 rubber burner in the video I posted....

I am with you. Send us pixs of that 914 when done.

:dance:

Perfectlap 06-24-2008 07:00 AM

As much as the people are sick of people blaming the oil companies I'm sick of people blaming politicians. Who votes for these politicians? The secret council of the Water Buffalo club? Polticians do what the people want. If they don't they get voted out. People didn't care about hybrids, electric cars, and all the other alternatives, instead they jumped all over the big suv's because gas got cheap again. Tom Friedman advocated a $1 tax when gas was $1.85 to spur the industries like these guys with the electric Porsches. Not the approach I would have advocated but the people weren't hearing any hybrid car talk whe car loans were abundant. No more car loan money now and gas will be $6....nice.
As Americans we waste, waste, waste. If its not gasoline we waste food, something insane like 25% of all food bought makes its way into the trash. Before we blame Washington we need to take a long look at ourselves.

As for where to get electricity to power the electric cars. I believe if you build....ingenuity will provide (as long as there is money to be made). Creating new industries that provide cheap electrical power is the shot in the arm that this country needs after we allowed this govt to ship all of our manufacturing jobs to Asia. If enough people buy these cars there are enough clever blokes that will pour some big money into ramping up the delivery of cheap elctricity, hydrogen whatever just no more oil. Whether its Owens Corning making composites for wind mill blades producing insane amounts of power compared to 10 years ago, thin film solar panel technology driving down the costs in a hurry we need to be after these industries before the rest of the world once again beats us to the punch. Germany is already way ahead on wind and China is making big moves in Solar. Nuclear is kinda of a panacea, the wait time for the reactor domes is nearly 12 years and oh yeah the waste...