Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #1

Question Squeaking sound coming from front suspension

When I stand in front of the hood and push down on my car I can hear a squeaking sound.

Same thing when I turn my steering wheel at low speeds and when I go over small bumps.

What could this be?

My car is CPO, any chance this might be covered under warranty?

My independant mechanic told me it's probably a worn control arm bushing. He inspected the car but couldn't find any loose-play or sign of damaged part.

What do you guys think?

thanks!

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #2

I got the same thing! let me know what you find out !
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #3

Its the lower control arm bushing. Unfortunately you cant just replace the bushing. It will run you ~$400-$450 to get repaired at the shop. Good luck. You will be happy to have a silent suspension again.
brimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #4

Thumbs down

I went to the dealer today to get my ECU replaced under warranty and asked them to find out where the squeaking sound is coming from.

They told me it's the control arm (table?) bushing making the noise and they need to replace the right and the left control arm.

They realllly badly explained the whole situation to me and I think they finally said it's the rear control arms-front and left that need to be replaced; then I asked why the noise is coming from the front and they said that the front and rear control arms need to be changed.

So in total with labor they are quoting me 1700$ to replace all my control arms.

But the even funnier part is they charged me 200$ of labor for the time they spent looking where the noise was coming from and ''greasing'' the bushings-ball joints so that maybe the squeaking will go away in a few days of driving.

My car is certified pre-owned and my dealer is saying that the control arms are not part of the CPO warranty, that it's a wear-and-tear item.

I understand a bushing being a wear and tear item, but a WHOLE control arm?

My car had been to the dealer 5 times since November for various engine-electrical related problems and now I have to spend 1700$ on suspension components? And this is a certified pre-owned car?

I called Porsche to complain that they sold me a bad car which is not worthy of being ''certified pre-owned''.

What do you guys think?
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Here's what i would do:

Have someone press firmly down on the front of the car while you put your ear next to the suspension by each wheel. Then do the same for the rear. It will be obvious which bushings need replacement.

Take your car to a different shop. (maybe lookup some reviews or ask the forum members for a referral) and have them just replace the parts that you found to be making the noise. I wouldnt mention that you already had it looked at.

Once again, if its only one lower control arm, it should only run you about $450 parts & labor included.

If the other parts truly need replacement. They will let you know.

Good luck

brimech is offline   Reply With Quote