Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #1

Shop for clutch install in NJ

I am thinking it may be time to replace the clutch, and I just don't think I have enough spare time to do the job myself. Can anyone recommed a shop in NJ that can do the job for a fair price?

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Yes, Powertech. they are located in Rockaway NJ, with easy access to Rt80 and 287. The website is www.pwr-tech.com. They do Porsche's and nothing else. I sent them my brake calipers to have them painted and re-logo'd. They came back looking brand new. Wonderful people to work with and VERY professional. They do it all! Cal them at (973)586-3210.
Good luck with the cluch.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #3

PowerTech was one of the first shops I called. They quoted me $1200 parts and labour for an OEM-spec replacement. Seemed a bit high, but I still have a couple of other places to call. If I can make sure I have transportation to work for a few days, I may attempt it myself. $700 on labour is a bit hard to swallow.

There is no substitute.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #4

Try a few dealers for comparison. $1200 for an entire clutch job? seems fair to me. Parts are always cheaper than labor for this type of job. Good thing its not a 944. You'd be looking at 9-10 hours of labor (at what, $100/hr?) I would also think if you are worried about transportation to work, you really can't afford the additional time to "do it yourself". It's good to know one's limits
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

THere is a shop in West Orange, I forget the name but I think its called The Dealer Alternative. They do a fair bit of Porsche and Miata work. Seems like many Boxster owners used to be Miata owners..
I called them for a tune up quote a while back, significantly less than the dealer or Power Tech. Kind of a mom and pop shop. Think the wife sent me the estimate.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Try a few dealers for comparison. $1200 for an entire clutch job? seems fair to me. Parts are always cheaper than labor for this type of job. Good thing its not a 944. You'd be looking at 9-10 hours of labor (at what, $100/hr?) I would also think if you are worried about transportation to work, you really can't afford the additional time to "do it yourself". It's good to know one's limits
When I read about other people spending less than 1k for the same job, yes, it seems a bit high.

Also, I'm not "worried" about transportation, and neither the cost of the job at a shop (even a dealer) nor performing the work myself is beyond my financial or mechanical means. The point is simply that if I don't have to spend an extra $700 on something, I'm not going to. Plenty of people spend $180-$250 on an oil change that I personally do in my driveway for $60 in 15 minutes with the exact same materials.

There is no substitute.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
THere is a shop in West Orange, I forget the name but I think its called The Dealer Alternative.
Thanks, I'll give them a call.

I also should hear back from Stable Energies tomorrow, and they're local and very pleasant to deal with. The owner is a tremendous 914 fan, and has one that's been track prepped.

There is no substitute.