Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Not Another Jacking Thread

Hi,
I know that there have been plenty of threads on jacking, and I have looked at all of them but I am having a few problems. I am trying to remove my wheels so I can clean them thoroughly, and coat them with some wheel wax.
I started to jack the car up at the alt. jack point a few inches forward of the official rear point. Using these instructions: http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm
I got it up and then lowered it check everything. The crease that you are supposed to use was starting to buckle and bend, luckily I caught it before it got too bad.
So what am I doing wrong?

Then if you look at this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20922&hl=jack
It mentions using the point just behind the muffler listed as the rainy day jack point in the picture. Is that point safe to use?

Thanks!

I circled the part that is bending:

Last edited by rick3000; 06-21-2008 at 01:44 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #2

i Waxed my boxster wheels with them on the car, imho its not worth the time and effort becasue i barely saw a difference

Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would like to clean the wheel because I don't think the inside has ever been cleaned. But regardless, I'd still like to figure out how to jack the car up.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Garage
Rick,

I use that area just behind the muffler when I jack my Boxster. I use a short piece of 2x4 to displace the weight a little better. Then when it's high enough I set the jack stands under the OEM jack points.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just bought some hockey pucks, and after some very messy time at the grinding wheel I have shaped one to fit the alt. jack point in front of the official jack point. I think the reason it was bending is because it was metal on metal. So the puck may help.

I will also try the rear point just behind the muffler. I just want to check and make sure nothing will get bent/damaged using that point. I might shape another hockey puck for that point instead of using a 2x4".
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #6

While it's obvious that some people have used the rear point shown in the "rainy day" photos to jack up their box, I sure don't recommend it. As the referenced thread at rentech points out, the rainy day people later admitted they used it because they "thought" it was the right one.

If you've ever had the sheet metal brace off (I have), you'd find that the square tubing used at that rear point is light weight and not even attached very solidly at the top. I'm frankly surprised that it will hold the weight of the car.

IMO, the correct point is the one shown in the Bentley manual, and is the one between the rear wheels at the engine cable loop. It's a big, solid frame member, not a wimpy piece of 1 inch square tubing.

JackG is offline   Reply With Quote