Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Rear Speaker Help

Hi,
Today I started putting my rear speaker kit in. I have the speakers and box in and have to say that it looks great, and it going to be way better than the useless cubbies. I am right now in the process of running the cable from the box to the radio. But I am having a few small problems.

First, when I put the umbrella sill back into place the holes for the Torx screws are not lining up. Does anyone have a tip on how to get this back in straight?
Second, running the cable out from under the the sill toward the front of the car, I am pushing it under the rubber seal. The problem I am having is that pushing them under the seal is making it bulge a little, and it doesn't look very good. Am I missing something? Is there another way to run it past the sill?
Thanks!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

You run the cable inside the rocket panel.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Could you elaborate a little bit more, I am not clear on that?
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #4

you need to run it thru the rocker panel below the umbrella holder - not just hidden in the rubber door seal. Using the pic below, you want to feed it below the black tray parallel to the black sheilded cable in the cavity (shown w/ green arrows). I suspect you are just tucking it underneath the weather seal (red arrow)?

Starting in either the front or back, fish the wire thru the rocker panel using a fish tape or just a plain old coat hanger. Use electrical tape to temporarily attached the wires.

Does this answer your question?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I did run the wire through the panel like you describe there. My question is about where to run the cable leading up to the sill, and after the sill?
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #6

It runs in the sill from the roll bar all the way to the front. Just ahead of the door, it comes up & out thru the top of the passenger foot well carpeted kickpanel to be fed under the dash (above the black foam liner).

In the rear, behind the seat, you need to remove the carpeted side panel to start it in the sill.

Not sure which directions you are using or not, but HArvey's from PNP describe it pretty well. See pg 3 textand reference figures 23-25

http://pnpvirginia.com/03-04_SPEAKERADDITIONKIT.pdf
Old 06-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just figured that out, (finally!) And am currently working on routing the cable up the 90° bend out the top the top of the carpet. Hopefully, I will be able get t without too much work.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for all the tips! I got it installed and while it isn't the most incredible sound you have ever heard, it adds a new depth to the sound stage, and gets rid of the useless cubbies. For $130, I am very happy with the result! :
Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #9

before you wrap everything up, here's another tip....

Fill the complete cavity behind the speakers (in the box) w/ poly-fil (like aquarium filter stuff or stuffing from a cheap pillow at Target). This will slow down the air flow making the speaker "act" like it's in a larger enclosure to help get some lower tones.

If you have an old pillow laying around the house, just cut it up, or buy a small cheap bed or decorative pillow at Target, Micheal's, Joann's (s/b $3.99 and under) and cut open. Pack the stuffing in loosely, but firmly (I know, clear as mud, right). Well how about... firm enough to not fall out when you remove the storage box, but loose enough to allow air flow

Filled cavities will help the sound. Again not a huge improvement, but another step along the way to improving the Boxster's sound system.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #10

Burg, I know you're already done running the wire, but I did it by tucking it under the center console on the passenger side of the car and it was MUCH easier and faster.

Thought I'd add this info for others reading your thread.

I've got to remove my speaker box to replace the carpet with leather soon, so I'll try to stuff it with some pillow material to see if it makes the sound any better. Thanks for the tip!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I intentionally decided not to, "cheat," and install the cable the OEM way. Once I figured it out, the OEM install took about a half hour. Also, I've heard about the foam, but decided not to do it yet. But after hearing it and discovering how easy it is to remove the box, I might add it in the very near future.

To future readers:
When you begin to run the cable along the sill, start by pushing it directly down right next to the foam and before the hole the carpeted trim piece uses. Push it to the sill and pull it out there. Then reroute it again all the way along the sill. Next pull the carpet on the front side (hood) next to the door out a little but. You need to pull the carpet loop off of the plastic tab to do this. Then gently pull the carpet back. You will see the plastic sill will end and you can reach in a grab the cable as your pushing it. Once it is out of the sill, you can route it up the footwell and then across to the radio. make sure to use the zip ties to secure it properly. It will make some more sense once you have pulled the sill off and see it. Hope this helps!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #12

Rick,

Thanks for the write up. I have been contemplating the rear speaker set since Sunset put them on sale. For $130 and the effort involved with the install, would you say it was worth it ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
To be honest, it didn't take much effort, it just took a lot of time. It probably took me about 5-6 hours total, but I could probably do it again in under 2.5 hours. I didn't mind the time, and had some fun doing it.
To save time just make sure to be careful and precise with the dremel (hold it still, and cut straight and clean), and understand how to run the cable under the sill.

For me it was worth $130 just to get rid of the cubbies.
The rear speakers are a great addition to the Boxster sound system. It won't make a night and day difference in the sound, but it does make a noticeable difference. With the top down the the rear speakers are a great addition. It changes the sound stage to surround sound, from front-only sound.
So if you have some time, I would definitely recommend this for $130!

I also pulled the box out again today and added some polyfil from an old pillow. I packed it in lightly and then put some packing tape across the bottom of the box, to hold in when the box is removed. The polyfil doesn't help much, but since it didn't cost anything it's worth the addition.
Is it bad to have the polyfil touching the back of the speakers?