Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #1

Remote key stopped working

Guys i am about to go crazy here
I was replacing a light bulb in the tail light and i had the key in the ignition.
The must have been in the ignition for a few minutes until i got the bulb replaced and i wanted to test and see if the bulbs work.

They did not, but that was not the problem.

The problem is that this key remote does not talk to the car anymore, the light on it is bright and behaves normally from a blinking point of view.

But the car does not listen to the key at all.

How do i resolve this. please help!!!

shereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #2

Working off memory here, but I seem to recall a post that suggested putting the key in the ignition, turning the ignition on, then off, then pressing the key remote button and holding it down for a few seconds. Let us know if that works?

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

It sounds like you have the first generation of key fobs. I also had them and both stopped working after awhile. I also tried programming them with the ignition but to no avail. If the reprogramming doesn't work you may have to get new key fobs. The good news is that the new fobs are 2nd generation with the Gold Porsche crest. They are supposed to not be prone to failure like the earlier generation.

Sunset Porsche in Beaverton Oregon has the fob on sale for around $90. Make sure you take all of your keys to the dealer if you have to get them reprogramed. They will take the old metal blank and put it in the new fob. They will then program and verify that all keys work with your car.

Sunset Porsche charges one hour labor regardless of programming 1 key or multiple keys. Your dealer may or may not be the same.

I hope the at home ignition programming works for you!

5-speed
Rear speaker system
Harman Kardon Ipod system
Durametric software
OBC Hack
Triple Black
De-snorkled
kurssat is offline   Reply With Quote