Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #1

How do I protect my interior (carpet/fabric) from UV?

Background: My boxster spends every single day outside in the hot, bright sun. As a result, I am worried about the carpet under the rear plastic window eventually getting bleached and dried out by the sun. I have not been able to find any products to combat this, only vinyl/plastic and leather treatments.

This happened to the tops of the back seats (the area of my other car that is most directly exposed to the sun) in my civic over about 4 years of exposure so I know it can happen.

What do to?

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
bmussatti

You need a convertible top cover. It covers the top and all the windows. I bought mine on eBay a couple years ago. It was about $65.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

Find a nice old lady with an empty garage. Offer to shovel her snow, trim shrubs, etc. Win-win (plus who knows she might have a cute granddaughter.)
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson
Find a nice old lady with an empty garage. Offer to shovel her snow, trim shrubs, etc. Win-win (plus who knows she might have a cute granddaughter.)
I really like the last part of your idea!

Realisitically, I guess I could cover the inside with a towel and be super cheapo . After seeing what the sun did to the seats in my civic - it bleached them an ugly bright whitish purple and dried them out like crazy I was hoping there was some type of fluid solution/treatment.

On a similar note, I am out of vinyl/plastic protectact and I am trying to decide between some new products: Optimum Protectant Plus or Meguiars Gold Class Protectant. I've had good experiences with both brands. Obviously, from a cost and availability perspective Meguiars wins, but Optimum seems to be held in such high esteem from enthusiasts...
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
bmussatti

Vinylex is a great product for your vinyl. Good tire dressing too.

For leather care, go to www.colorplus.com.

Both of these products are used extensively by the PCA members who concours their cars in my area.

Go to Wal*Mart and buy a few sun shades. Use them front & back.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
You need a convertible top cover. It covers the top and all the windows. I bought mine on eBay a couple years ago. It was about $65.
+1 on the top cover. I bought one on eBay, as well, but never use it since my car is always garaged.

JCL12, let me know if you're interested...it's brand new and goes on/off very easy. Made from the same material a good car cover is made from.

jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote