Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

Paint touch up techniques

I realize this is an old subject, and I’ve searched much of this forum (and others) on the issue, but I thought I’d check one more time before taking the plunge. I have two “touch up” paint issues:

1) A number (maybe a dozen) small rock chips in front. Most are 1 mm or less, a couple may approach 1.5-2 mm in size.

2) Multiple hairline scratches (dozens) underneath in front where (shortly after getting the Box) I stupidly bottomed out pulling too fast into an inclined driveway.

My thoughts:

Rock Chips: I’m thinking about using Grizzly’s technique with the fiberglass pen (if needed--- I’m actually not sure any of these are through the primer), artist’s brushes, superfine wet/dry sand paper mounted on pencil erasers, etc. (see: working with touch up paint ) Have people generally had pretty good luck with this approach? I am pretty handy, can be slow and methodical when called for, have a steady hand, etc. Do the fine brushes work as well as the toothpick technique I've read about? At the polishing stage, he referred to using 3M’s Finesse-It II, which I Googled and found bunches of products with that name---not sure which he’s talking about (Griz??). On my shelf currently, I have Poorboy’s SSR 2.5 and Menzerna Final Polish. Also some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Think those might do the job following the wet-sanding? (PerfectLap, you out there?) I have the factory supplied touch up paint and clear coat; it’s now at least 2 years old---is that a problem? Also, I have heard metallics are tough---mine’s seal grey. Thoughts? One thing that drives me crazy is that “they” always recommend practicing your technique in an inconspicuous area---problem is, with rock chips they are, almost by definition, essentially ALWAYS in a conspicuous area.

Hairline scratches: These are too numerous to fill in individually. Am considering the Dr. Colorchip approach because I need to be able to smear paint in a bunch of small scratches. (Or possibly the Langka stuff, but I think that would be more labor intensive.) One good thing is that it’s in an area that no one will ever see. Any additional opinions on the DrCC?

Finally, regarding the rock chips (since they are what people can most easily see): Anybody have a good idea, ballpark figure-wise, what a good body shop would charge to airbrush them? I figured I might check with my local P-car dealership as to where they’d recommend, but I was curious as to whether people might have a rough idea as to what I’d be looking at, cost-wise. Assuming I find a reputable body shop, do they tend do a good job with the metallic paints?

Opinions (in addition to being free ) are greatly appreciated.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #2

Dr. Colorchip... good stuff...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

errrrrrrr, Frodo: Sounds like your ready to trade her in...

Let us know how it goes, I'll eventually need to do the same -- but I might (seriously) just go trade it in.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:59 AM   #4

Quote:

"Dr. Colorchip... good stuff..."

Posted by Sammy.

Hey, Sammy, what color(s) did you use with the good colorchip doctor?

Quote:

"errrrrrrr, Frodo: Sounds like your ready to trade her in..."

Posted by fatmike.

Can't get rid of her yet...still got some CPO warranty left. I know this isn't necessarily the usual approach with a lot of Porsche owners---it may not even be very smart---but I tend to drive cars into the ground. Besides, the aforementioned blemishes aside (which, of course, are MUCH more noticeable to me than anyone else), the car's finish is very nearly perfect. This is fixable!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 AM   #5

Artists brushes are much much easier to use than toothpicks or the brush supplied in the bottle of touch up paint. You can pick a variety packs in multiple sizes for $3 at any craft store. Using the larger brush in the set, start w/ the largest chips/scratches. Steady your hand by placing the heel of it on the surface. Work your way down using the smaller brushes to the smaller chips/scratches. Once they're all filled in (your finish will look like chicken pox for a few days while you complete this) apply the clear. Sand down and polish. Grizzly's write up is very good. If you're looking for a quick fix, try either the Dr. Colorchip or Langka approach but for a lasting fix that will hardly be noticeable, use the Grizzly approach
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Frodo]Quote:

"Dr. Colorchip... good stuff..."

Posted by Sammy.

Hey, Sammy, what color(s) did you use with the good colorchip doctor?

My car is basalt black (metallic black). All I did was found the paint code underneath the hood and submitted it with my order.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #7

+1 for Langka products. You still will need your factory touch-up paint, but the Langka blob remover does what it says -- so long as the crack, scratch, chip is deep enough to hold paint (IMO). I bought the 3 bottle kit and am quite pleased. The pre-paint really cleans out minor scratches.

http://www.langka.com/
Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #8

I'm trying some of the factory touch up paint, and have just done a couple of the chips. Color seems good, but the paint seems a bit thick. (I have gotten the impression it's best to just let the paint flow into the chip by capillary action---with this paint, if you wait for that to happen it's gonna dry on the brush.)

What would one use to thin this out?