Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

Sold my Boxster S. Got a 03 SL500

I always dreamt about having one and finally got it. I will miss you guys!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If you don't mind me asking what drew you to the SL500?

I've been in 3 different SL500s and while they are classy and elegant and I don't see much else to them.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Congrats Back2DTM!

I've always been a huge SL fan. In fact I was looking for a R129 SL when I started eyeing Boxsters. Back then 1999-2001 cars were in my price range.

Now, I want a R230, and am encouraged by the prices finally becoming reasonable IMO. I'm not ready to get rid of my 986, but I keep a close eye on the classified ads.

Care to post any pics?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #4

I've been tempted too.

Things that attract me to one of these:
- hard top---no annoying chop, appearance of wear on soft top, risk of break-in
- more refined interior/luxuries
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Congrats Back2DTM!

I've always been a huge SL fan. In fact I was looking for a R129 SL when I started eyeing Boxsters. Back then 1999-2001 cars were in my price range.

Now, I want a R230, and am encouraged by the prices finally becoming reasonable IMO. I'm not ready to get rid of my 986, but I keep a close eye on the classified ads.

Care to post any pics?

Thanks,

ddb
Sure I will
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #6

Timeless elegance.

Good luck with the Benz.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #7

Congrats ! The SL500 is a beautiful car...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If you don't mind me asking what drew you to the SL500?

I've been in 3 different SL500s and while they are classy and elegant and I don't see much else to them.
Same here I've driven a few, one mostly because my friend always has had one too many whiskeys. I agree the car is a real head-turner but its not all a sports car. I feel like i'm in a monster truck with impeccable manners and funny feeling pedals.
I've never been remotely attracted to luxury (except for the new Jaguars) but I'm just weird that way. Easy on those tires though, my friend is always crying about how expensive the rears are and how often he has to swap them out and its a hog on gas....I have a feeling you'll be back in the Porsche ranks before long. The great thing about Pcars is that they never look old.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #9

I sold my SL500 and bought the Boxter. Seriously.
I drove the SL for about four years. Great looking car, very solid, terrific accelleration, gas pig. But like all Mercedes I have owned it was a constant pain with minor and not so minor things failing. The Porsche is a DIY dream while the Mercedes is not. All those little things add up and every time you have the inconvenience of a trip to the dealer. My girlfriend just gave up on her E320 and got a Lexus for the same reason. Alarm fails, doorlock gets fussy, many intermittant problems...after a while it's just rediculous. I think the SL finally cured me of driving a Mercedes.

By the way I have never had any problems with Jaguars! Even my V12 had no issues. BMW did - many, enough to scare me away from the BMW line.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #10

I really don't get the german auto industry. This issue of constant problems plagues them all.

Are they that out of touch?

Great cars to drive, not so great to own?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #11

As someone who has driven, and worked on, MANY German cars for thirty years, I have some thoughts.

First specifically on Mercedes is that hey have engineered too many single points of failure Why should a smog device failure shut down the engine rather than just throw a light? I have often said that given my choice to make a nonstop drive coast to coast with either a new Mercedes or new Yugo I'd choose the Yugo. Because the Mercedes has such poor reliability. And I have driven them for thirty years! High end too, always S cars. But they are too overengineered.

In general the Germans are gadget freaks, and they love to make complicated gadgets. Just go to germany and look at a store door, or any other commonplace item, and it'll have twenty moving parts rather than a hinge. Mind you that device will last forever with some rebuilding rather than replacing - and that is their mindset. It's not that they make junk, it's that they try to go too far too fast, be the first, be the most innovative etc.

I love their cars (well not VW & Audi) but I am well aware you can't be a one car family if that one car is German.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #12

Hey, don't bag on Audi and VW... I've had my A4 for 9 years and I almost have 180k... it left me stranded one time with a dead battery... that's it!
My wife's Passat is 6 years old with 130k and I just recently had a coil pack go out, which was an easy fast "tool-less" fix. (replaced all 4) So in my book those two brands are terrific!
I hope my Boxster does as well...
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
Hey, don't bag on Audi and VW... I've had my A4 for 9 years and I almost have 180k... it left me stranded one time with a dead battery... that's it!
My wife's Passat is 6 years old with 130k and I just recently had a coil pack go out, which was an easy fast "tool-less" fix. (replaced all 4) So in my book those two brands are terrific!
I hope my Boxster does as well...

That may be. However, VW and Audi are likely the worst of the german car makers when it comes to reliability.

Audi and VW' recent woes with transmissions make the Box RMS issue look like peanuts.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
I sold my SL500 and bought the Boxter. Seriously.
I drove the SL for about four years. Great looking car, very solid, terrific accelleration, gas pig. But like all Mercedes I have owned it was a constant pain with minor and not so minor things failing. The Porsche is a DIY dream while the Mercedes is not. All those little things add up and every time you have the inconvenience of a trip to the dealer. My girlfriend just gave up on her E320 and got a Lexus for the same reason. Alarm fails, doorlock gets fussy, many intermittant problems...after a while it's just rediculous. I think the SL finally cured me of driving a Mercedes.

By the way I have never had any problems with Jaguars! Even my V12 had no issues. BMW did - many, enough to scare me away from the BMW line.
This car got 100k warranty and it ends in 2010 so what the heck
This SL500 is my 6th German car in 5 yrs and I am 25yrs old. First MBZ and first auto. I love this baby soooo much. I WILL drive whatever I like and I can offer as long as I still can. Life is too short
Right before the warranty ends, I will be looking for a new toy again. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
That may be. However, VW and Audi are likely the worst of the german car makers when it comes to reliability.

Audi and VW' recent woes with transmissions make the Box RMS issue look like peanuts.
Tell me about it.

My good friend has a 00' Jetta GL that has a failed auto tranny w/ 120k on it....$4k installed.

Another one has a 01' a4 1.8T,he's selling it. He's had it four months and has spent over $3k in repairs.

My Dad's old 90' Jetta GL w/ the Digifant system was the most unreliable car I've ever dealt with, period. That car spent the last three years of ownership in the service bay at the dealership. It was a joke. Shortly after we gave up on it Consumer Reports named it on the 'Top 10 Used Cars to Stay Away From'

My Dad also has a 98.5' Jetta GT that has been phenomenal though. 140k and not a single issue to date.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #16

My son bought a one owner 3 yr old Audi A6 Bi-turbo.. Beautiful car.

Trans died at 47K miles, car out of warranty.

Repair bill, 5K bucks.

Dealer told him this was "fairly normal" for this trans. Audi would do nothing for him.

Huh?

Go figure!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #17

I purchased my 03 Audi TT with around 60,000 miles in Jan 08. Fantastic in the snow, but I can't believe the amount of little bits that go wrong.
There's an awesome forum for the TTs in the UK. They ALL have the same problems. Unbelievable.
A friend just traded in his Merc 230 Hatch. Auto tranny had gone and Merc wanted $8000 to fix.
Touchwood, my 01 Boxster has had no issues in the 4 years of my ownership. Just oil changes.
oriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #18

I've owned many Audis without one single issue. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't VW own both Audi and Porsche?
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #19

No. Porsche owns Audi and VW
Fskof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #20

Here is a picture as promised.

Just got some 20's and lowered the air ride suspension w/ adjustable links. 15mins job LOL