Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #1

No codes, no faults, no errors

Well, I finally got rid of the 2 CEL codes that I've had forever. Before I could renew my registration here in Virginia I had to have the emissions test done, and not wanting to pay for another waiver, I used some tax refund money to get the VarioCam solenoid (P1531) and a valve on the Evap system replaced (P0442). I went to a Porsche only shop called IMA Motorsports. Turns out they just opened a new shop 3 weeks ago in a brand new building 2 miles from my house (and they sell parts). They do a ton of racing cars. Anyway, the final tally was $1875 and I now have no black tape covering the check engine light. Over the past weekend I went thru a whole tank of gas with no CEL. Passed the emissions test with flying colors.

Maybe I'll keep up just a little better at the Dragon this fall.

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

I had IMA replace a variocam actuator about a year ago in my Boxster. They are good with the new "watercooled" cars.

They had an open shop last month when they moved in. They are working on a Crawford chassis DP car with a 1,000hp 911 TT motor installed. They have some other neat stuff too.. like an engine dyno rated to 2,000hp. Ivan likes his toys
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

How much business have you done w/ IMA Motorsports? It looks like they are in the NOVA area somewhere around Dulles which is somewhat near me.

I am about 3,500 miles away from my 45K and I don't want to fork over a grand for a stealership to do the 45K. What are your thoughts about this place?

TY
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #4

JCL12,
They are located behind the Cadillac/Hummer dealer on Rt. 50 about 2 miles from Rt. 28 and before South Riding. They are in the middle of the 3 white buildings on the NE corner. 25354 Pleasant Valley Rd., Chantilly, VA. 703.327.9858
I wouldn't hesitate to have them do more work on my car. They have the PST2 tester and the knowledge to use it. They took the time to explain what they found and answered all my questions and they didn't mind me walking around the shop floor looking at all the race cars they were working on- like the 1000 hp Daytona Prototype that racer_d mentioned.

racer_d,
Thanks for suggesting IMA a few months back. Can't believe they opened up so close to where we live- no more driving to HBL for parts.
I was lucky that it was only the solenoid bad and not the actuator.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #5

JCL12-

Just because they are not a dealer will mean they are cheap. I think their Labor rate is around $110/hour. Not sure what the dealer charges are like these days.

They are located on Rt 50, about 2 miles west of the Rt 50/Rt 28 interchange. They are behind the Moore Hummer/Caddy dealership.
IMA certainly has the tools to do a 45K service. I did this service myself since the boxster is pretty do-it yourself friendly. However, since they do cater to the motorsports participant, you will want to schedule ahead of time. I say this because as we are in the middle of the track/race season, I bet their parking lot is filling with cars that need "substantial" work (engine rebuilds, new clutches etc).

Derb,

One of the things I liked about IMA was the PTST2 or whatever that tester is called. Another shop who tried to figure out what was wrong couldn't get a code that made sense. Seems since so many times codes are tripped on these cars the "its usually ____" may not always be the real culprit. Dig a little deeper with the Porsche tool and the correct answer can be found.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote