Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #21

If you had a flashing check engine light it would not go off on its own, so I would relax a bit. It is probably the AOS (air/oil separator) and there are a number of threads on the subject that you should search and read. You can have a check done of the crankcase vacuum to confirm, but what you describe (as well as regular white smoke on start-up) are common signs. I would not wait until it completely expires as it will make a mess of the throttle body and the MAF sensor.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
If you had a flashing check engine light it would not go off on its own, so I would relax a bit. It is probably the AOS (air/oil separator) and there are a number of threads on the subject that you should search and read. You can have a check done of the crankcase vacuum to confirm, but what you describe (as well as regular white smoke on start-up) are common signs. I would not wait until it completely expires as it will make a mess of the throttle body and the MAF sensor.

Brad
Thanks! I'm on Pelican Parts - have the boot, AOS, both tubes, clamp, and o-rings...that should do the trick right? I'm trying to get it in by tomorrow.

Cheers,
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiver View Post
Thanks! I'm on Pelican Parts - have the boot, AOS, both tubes, clamp, and o-rings...that should do the trick right? I'm trying to get it in by tomorrow.

Cheers,
The engine starts dying when I open the oil fill cap and is pulling a vaccuum, so I'm guessing (and from some brief mention of it on another thread) that it is indeed the problem. I figured if it wasn't the AOS, I'd have a new one so one less thing to worry about on the to-do list...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #24

Yes, the vacuum is another sure fire sign. And yes, those are the parts you should need. That and a pair of gloves!!!!! Keep us posted.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Yes, the vacuum is another sure fire sign. And yes, those are the parts you should need. That and a pair of gloves!!!!! Keep us posted.

Brad
I went ahead and got plugs, plug-orings, plug boots, air, oil filter, and other misc stuff. While I'm there - might as well start on some of the other maintenance. Thanks!

Cheers,
R
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #26

Mình chua hi?u cái nÃ****y cho l?m