Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Garage
Help Resetting Airbag Idiot Light

I changed out my drivers door latch assembly this weekend. In the process of the repair the airbag needed to be removed and that of course means unplugging the airbag. After I changed the latch assembly I turned the key on to ops check the window before reassembling the door. I think that's were I sent a code to the ? when it sensed the drivers door airbag was not "checking in".
I thought I could disconnect the battery and reset the code but that didn't work. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me how to get rid of the idiot light that the idiot caused without going to the dealer.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You need someone with a PST2 or Durametric software installed on a laptop to hook into your cars ODBII connector to erase the code. OBDII scanners and disconnecting the battery wont erase the airbag errors.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks CJ , I guess I'll make an appointment with my local dealer. Are the readers you mentioned expensive? Where would I find the software for my laptop? How about the cables to hook up from the laptop to the OBDII connector?
Thanks again CJ for the info.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #4

hmmm, I dont have the links but maybe a forum member can post a link to someone that sells the durametric software...?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #5

If you were in SoCal, I'd gladly let you use mine!

It's expensive to go and buy a Durametric unit for just this, but I've found mine useful since I can plug it in at the track and find out what's wrong. I also used it to reset my airbag light, which is cake if you have it. The dealer is probably the best option unless you have another enthusiast local to you who has a hookup.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for the offer Todd but I'm in the middle of the country, Oklahoma. You say you like to take it to the track to diagnose problems. This past weekend I did my first autocross, man what a blast! Everyone that owns a performance car, like the Boxster, needs to get it to a track and let it all hang out and see it their true potential.
Everyday driving doesn't do these cars justice. I was so surprised the way the car handled and pulled out of the corners. Another guy there had a 997 and all I can say is "Holy ********************!!". That car, watching from the back, when it launches out of the corner sounds like a bull with a real loud snort out of the exhaust and it's gone. It just took my breath away. Chubby? You becha.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

here's the link:
http://www.durametric.com/
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #8

Garage
Thanks bro, ones on order for $250. The dealer wanted $100 just to clear the code, now I can clear the code plus any others and monitor other parameters. Well worth the money!
I just bought a set of headers and in the event I get a CEL light I can now clear the code.
I'll make a new post on the headers I got, great quality with (2) O2 sensor fittings. I'll title it "New Set of Headers for my '04 S".
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #9

Garage
CJ Boxster,

This is an update, I got the Durametric Diagnostic cable and software and man is it cool. After going through all my system's and checking codes, I pulled up my airbag page and cleared the "open circuit" code. After that I fired up the car and was able to monitor everything going on in the engine. RPM's, pressures, temps and could watch it in a bar graph versus time.
Great tool, and to think I was going to go to the dealer and pay $100 to have him clear the code that would have taken 10 sec. Now I can monitor my engine and clear any future codes. I was also able to check the rev limiter and over revs and they were at 0/00, which was a relief.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #10

very cool! I'll have to get myself a durametric tool one of these days. If ur airbag light comes back now u have the tool to tell u which part of the srs system is acting up so it'll pay for itself in no time

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance