Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #1

Calling Dr. Detail - How to get crud off car

I will admit, this post is not really porsche related but it is "in support" of being very boxster related

Background

I want to sell my honda civic and trim down to just the box. Before I start this process, I plan on doing my best to clean up my honda and make it look nice. However, over the years I have done some damage to the exterior paint. As a result, I have the following questions.

1) I have driven over paint and spilled epoxy on my car's finish. Pictures of my stupidity are below. I would really like to try and get this crap off my car because this is so highly visible. Any suggestions for solvents or abrasives? I'd like to keep this cheap and DIY-able if possible, with minimal investings into equipment!

2) The car's paint overall is not the best. I went for about 4-5 years straight without ever washing or waxing. I plan on "palmolive-ing" and then claying the car, so what should I expect from this?

3) I intend on giving the car a good waxing, post claying. I have synthetic and carnuba cleaner wax sitting around and was thinking about using both for separate coats. What are your thoughts on this, and if it is a good idea, which should I apply first?

4) In some stores, I have seen various colors "spot treatments". Has anybody had good experiences with these for masking little dings?

Paint Splatter

Epoxy

Supplemental Background

Basically, I have 80% sure I want to sell my honda civic and use my boxster as my single and only car. For a long time, I have resisted using my box full time but now that I've realized my boxster isn't worth anything and putting lots of miles on it won't do much to the price I think its time to always have fun while driving!

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote