986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need diagnostic help for rear spoiler (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16818-need-diagnostic-help-rear-spoiler.html)

cgmillard 05-18-2008 08:29 AM

Need diagnostic help for rear spoiler

Hello from a new member!

I've searched this board for a similar issue and can't seem to find one, so here goes:

I recently bought a plain-Jane 97 Boxster in pretty good condition, but the spoiler does not extend or retract automatically or manually. The warning indicator light does come on at the appropriate speed. Based on other posts, I replaced the relays and checked the fuse, still no action.

Got the VOM out and checked the operation of the manual switch, and it appears to be functioning properly. Went back to the wiring connector to the spoiler motor itself, and I can get it to raise and lower by applying 12 v to it, so the motor functions.

Any suggestions as to further diagnostic steps (Bentley is of no help)? Are there switches or sensors that detect the position of the spoiler that might be maladjusted?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cliff

MikeM 05-18-2008 09:54 AM

Cliff...mine did exactly the same thing. The motor would work when jumpered.
There are microswitchs inside the motor that fail. You have to replace the motor,
which is not that big a deal. I bought a used one from a wrecker for 50 bucks and problem solved.

Hope this helps...

Mike

pk2 05-20-2008 08:07 AM

Mike,

Mine doesn't really function correctly either. Checked all the switches and connections. Fine. Goes up and keeps 12v current flowing indefinitely till the ig. Is turned off,

I saw those relays in the wiring diagram. Did you try to take the motor aapart and clean the contacts?

Regards, PK

cgmillard 06-05-2008 10:00 AM

Thanks Mike and pk2

Appreciate the comments. I did disassemble the motor. No apparent problems, and I don't see anything that looks lie switches there. I am debating on whether to keep fooling with it or to go with an aftermarket fixed spoiler.

Cliff

Jaxonalden 06-05-2008 11:03 AM

CG,

I called Oklahoma Foreign (1-405-799-0645), there're a Porsche salvage yard, and they have a used spoiler motor for $75. I also call the local Porsche dealership and they want $180.

Lil bastard 06-05-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk2
Mike,

Mine doesn't really function correctly either. Checked all the switches and connections. Fine. Goes up and keeps 12v current flowing indefinitely till the ig. Is turned off,

I saw those relays in the wiring diagram. Did you try to take the motor aapart and clean the contacts?

Regards, PK

If you get a constant 12V one of the relays is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced - they're located in the rear relay panel behind the trunk lining.

rebeltown 06-06-2008 01:53 PM

Is the indicator light on the dash supposed to illuminate when the spoiler raises and go oput when it goes down? My light only comes on when I start the car and stays on until I drive a few feet and then it goes off. My spoiler functions fine but the light not coming on confuses me...

pk2 06-06-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
If you get a constant 12V one of the relays is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced - they're located in the rear relay panel behind the trunk lining.

Thanks,

Actually I did check the relays, I first swapped them for each other which should have reversed the problem (going down but not up), it didn't. I then popped the caps off, cleaned the contacts and then watched them activate (just fine).

The problem is the 12v going to the "up" relay stays on after the button is released...indefinitely, untill I turn the ig. off. Then, switching the key back on, the 12v is gone (to the up relay) and I can then, and only then, use the down button to bring the spoiler down.

Checked the up/down button with a volt meter...fine.

Regards, PK

Jaxonalden 06-06-2008 02:18 PM

Rebletown,

The light comes on when you exceed 75mph and the spoiler does not deploy. Above 75mph the rear of the car experiences lift and the spoiler provides the downforce needed to keep the tires planted to the asphalt and you in control.

gregdacat 06-06-2008 06:54 PM

This makes sense!

"The light comes on when you exceed 75mph and the spoiler does not deploy."

Jaxonalden

I thought I had a bad dashboard light. I knew mine was functioning properly because I had a friend tell me they saw it deployed. However, I thought the owner's manual stated you get a dashboard light when it was deployed. Since I was not getting a light I assumed I had a dash light problem. Now I know.

You guys may not realize it but there is a ton of good stuff on this forum that you may take for granted but us newbies find invaluable. I read on another post that a guy's ignition switch completely locked up. Someone posted that he should try and turn the steering wheel to the left as he turned the ignition key and it should free up. Sure enough tonight as I was giving my Boxster a bath my ignition locked up. I tried the above and it worked just as described.

Thanks
Guys

Greg - Newport KY
2002 Triple black 64K miles (de-snorkeled, but NOT de-clawed