Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

Move your spare tire to the rear trunk

Well, here's my contribution for the week... I wanted to free up some space in my front trunk, and almost never use the rear because it's small and gets very hot, so I came up with a solution. I slightly de-flated my spare tire and fit it in the rear trunk. As you can see in the picture (the small black box on the right), I carry a little air compressor. I figure, how often do you actually use the spare, and 9 times out of 10 it's underinflated by then anyway. One word of advice though. Take the jack and lug wrench out before removing it from the rear trunk if you have to use it. Like a dumbass, I forgot to and the jack left a little chip and several nice scratches on my rear bumper just below the spoiler.

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
bmussatti

Well, I'm not sure. But the spare may be in the front for actual collision integrity and protection. And the added weight in the rear will throw off the optimum balance.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Interesting. I tend to use the rear trunk a lot more than the front (unless I need the room). The heat issue is not a problem for me generally and the majority of stuff fits fine in the back. The other deciding factor for me is the convenience of being able to pop open my rear trunk with my key (my car is a 2000). I wish I had the ability to open the front trunk remotely.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm like ddb, I use the rear trunk more because I can't open the front with my key.
If I ever needed the space, I'm glad to know the spare fits in the back, but I'll be leaving mine in the front for now.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I guess it's all in what works for you. I don't even have a spare.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #6

yea i dont have a spare in my car either... its bad but i like the extra room haha

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I like the extra room too, but I'm not sure how much I'll like it if I get a blow-out 100 miles from home.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I actually think the 986 trunk is larger even with the spare. I now that the 986 has 11.2 cu ft of cargo space and the 987 only has 9.9 cu ft. But I have never made a side by side comparison.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #9

Probably a stupid question. But, aren't the front and rear tires of different size? If so, which one do you carry as a spare? Not that either of them will fit in my 2007 Boxster S. let's hope that i never get a flat.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #10

spare is a uni-tire (yeah, I just made that up ) and will work on the front or the rear. It is really only meant to be used for short distances. i.e. so you can get to a safer location like off the hwy, or a tire shop.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Interesting. I tend to use the rear trunk a lot more than the front (unless I need the room). The heat issue is not a problem for me generally and the majority of stuff fits fine in the back. The other deciding factor for me is the convenience of being able to pop open my rear trunk with my key (my car is a 2000). I wish I had the ability to open the front trunk remotely.
Yeah, I use the rear a lot more too - don't find the heat to be a problem unless there are dairy products in there - and I don't think putting the extra weight in the rear is beneficial.
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
bmussatti

How much does the spare weight? About 40 pounds?

So, by moving it from the front to the rear trunk, is the same as just putting an 80 pound weight in the trunk, from a balance perspective.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #13

If you move it to the back can you fit a set of golf clubs in the front???
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #14

Not a good idea. I recommend that everyone go test their spare & make sure it has enough air pressure in it. Since you had to "deflate it" to make it fit in the rear trunk, you may as well just remove it from the car completely. The spare requires fairly high pressure.

I recently got a flat on Interstate 95 outside of Philly that tore up one of my rear Pirellis (expensive). Of course it was pouring rain. My spare went on easily enough, but it wasn't inflated because I never checked it. I was then left with an issue of desparately trying to get to a gas station to find an air pump.

An interesting side note is that there is nowhere to put the full size rear tire after you remove it because of the flat. It doesn't fit in the front trunk (won't close) and I already had stuff in my rear. That isn't well thought out...

Dirty greasey hands not withstanding -- my customer later accused me (with a smile) of "making the whole thing up" because I was late to a meeting.

On the positive side, you just gotta love the feel of a pair of new p-Zero Rossos on the rear. Wow, what a difference! But that is a story for another thread.

Last edited by fatmike; 05-14-2008 at 12:11 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #15

Good point, I never really thought about whether or not the damaged tire would fit, just assumed I could get it in the front trunk if necessary. Guess I'll be adding another item to my rear trunk, and old blanket to wrap it in so I can set it on the passenger seat. Assuming I dont have a passenger with me at the time, ha-ha
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can always put it in the rear trunk and tie the lid down with some rope. It would look very good, but its better than driving next to a wheel.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #17

I put the flatted full size rear tire in the rear trunk with the top open.

Also of interest -- the folks I bought the car from had the foresight to put an oversized plastic bag and a pair of latex gloves in with the spare tire. The fella I was travelling with helped himself to the latex gloves (hence my hands got pretty dirty) -- but an oversized plastic bag to put your filthy (and wet) tire into is a brilliant idea!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by releese78
Well, here's my contribution for the week... I wanted to free up some space in my front trunk, and almost never use the rear because it's small and gets very hot, so I came up with a solution. I slightly de-flated my spare tire and fit it in the rear trunk. As you can see in the picture (the small black box on the right), I carry a little air compressor. I figure, how often do you actually use the spare, and 9 times out of 10 it's underinflated by then anyway. One word of advice though. Take the jack and lug wrench out before removing it from the rear trunk if you have to use it. Like a dumbass, I forgot to and the jack left a little chip and several nice scratches on my rear bumper just below the spoiler.
I wouldn't suggest you do this. As ToolPants pointed out for us before:
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact engery introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropiate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
And evidently made the front trunk smaller!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
lso of interest -- the folks I bought the car from had the foresight to put an oversized plastic bag and a pair of latex gloves in with the spare tire.
I think that must be from the factory, mine has those items as well.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote