Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #1

Armorcoat? Clearbra? Stongard?

I am a new Boxster owner and I love my car. I want it to stay as nice looking as possible.

Does anyone have one of the rock chip protection products such as Armorcoat, Clearbra, Stongard or another similar product installed on ther Boxster?

I would really like to know if you like it or not. There are so many products out there and I hear there are pro's and con's for all of them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

5-speed
Rear speaker system
Harman Kardon Ipod system
Durametric software
OBC Hack
Triple Black
De-snorkled
kurssat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #2

I have the film on my car. I did a lot of research and I decided on the film. Apparently everyone really just uses the same film from 3m, just labeled it under certain names i.e. clear bra.

I have not heard a single person not liking the film. When I first saw it, I wasn't too happy because the film dulled out the color, but then I found out you need to let the film bake 2-3 weeks, then you can't tell the difference between your paint and the film.

I would looking into your local area who does it. Tons of people do it in the bay area.
Don't go with anyone that uses a pre-cut kit. Go with people that use large rolls and cut it specific to your car, that way you don't see anything. It's pricier, but no eye sore when you see the line. Even with the Line, you can't tell unless you're 4 feet or closer.

AND if you decide to get it, get it before there any rock chips. i.e. 1-2 weeks after you buy it. Doesn't really help when there are already chips and it can create a bigger eye sore.

I did it with these guys, they're really good. But they charge a lot. People ship out their cars to have them do the job from what I heard.
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/
hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #3

I have a clear bra and I am extremely pleased. I had the installer purchase a pre cut kit from 3m for the car. You can't see the clear bra unless you are within 4' of the car and look for it. Everyone I show it to can not believe it when they see it.

I can share that the the darker the car color, the more apparent the clear bra can be (and it is not at all apparent). I have an Atlas Gray car, and the installer told me it is even more invisible on white and silver cars. The bra did not have to bake in for 2 weeks to look clear.

My only regret is not touching up the 6 stone chips on my front before the install. Is it an eyesore, no way, I just had to get the clear bra and did not have time to touch up and let cure a couple weeks. When I get back in town I will take some pictures and post.
987gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the information! The car already has 21,000 miles on it and a few chips in the paint. I think I will take your advice and repair those areas and let the paint cure a couple of weeks. I assume I should use something like a clay bar on the chip repair spots to try to smooth it down a little.

Any other feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated! I would especially love to hear from anyone who has used or seen the spray on clear bra.

For now I will keep on driving my Porsche with a smile on my face!
5-speed
Rear speaker system
Harman Kardon Ipod system
Durametric software
OBC Hack
Triple Black
De-snorkled
kurssat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #5

I have ArmorCoat on my Boxster and Clearbra on my Honda Accord. I've had the clearbra for 3 or 4 years now and had no problems with it. It remains almost invisible. Nor have I had any problems with the ArmorCoat, though I've had it only a year. It's slightly less visible than the almost-invisible clearbra. I think both are very good products. Both have held up as advertised. I only wish I could get the entire hood of my Box treated, instead of just the leading edge.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #6

I have the 3m clearbra and love it. Learned my lesson on my last car when I didn't pull the trigger on one and ended up having a bumper that looked sandblasted.