Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Question Quick question about leaking fluid . . .

I am currently in Iraq, and my 2002 boxster is sitting in Oregon while im gone. My dad drove it to my grandpa's house where he is storing it till I get back. A few days after they parked it in their garage they noticed some oily fluid leaking by the right front tire. They said it was oily, but not darker like engine oil. Does anyone know what this might be? My guess would be brake fluid but I am not sure since I am 8k miles away in hell lol. Also, could this be somewhat of a major problem? I appreciate all the help in advance!

Last edited by dfraccica01; 05-12-2008 at 05:40 PM.
dfraccica01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The coolant hoses run from the back to the front radiators, and they have been known to break if you drive over something. A potted plant or something can cause the damage. If it is clear green/purple it could be coolant.
It could also be washer fluid but it isn't "oily," and maybe hydraulic fluid. There could be something wrong with one of the brakes or the hydraulic fluid tank.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

Garage
Dfraccica01,

Sorry to hear your in the sandbox, I see by your login that you're stationed at Spang. I've been in and out of the "fatherland" numerous times flying C-141's. I really miss the beer.
About your leak, "oily" sounds like brake fluid but could also be a leak from an air conditioning condenser (there's oil in the lines to lube the compressor). Brake fluid should be easy to locate but if it's a leak in the A/C system check the lines, fitting or condenser itself.
On my '04 S, I have a big dent on a line that's just aft of the right front wheel. I'm sure it's an A/C line that runs up to the front. Whatever you have leaking it looks like you'll have something to work on when you get back to "The World".

Take care and keep your head down!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #4

Iraq does suck, but I would not have been able to keep my Boxster without coming over here, so I guess it isnt too bad! I do miss Germany though, and the ten thousand something different types of beer they have . Anyways, if its the A/C lines/condensor or the coolant hoses like you guys said is this going to be a big thing to repair? How much would you guys estimate this being? I am trying to find information on my own but the government computers block almost everything. Im sure glad they havent blocked this forum yet . I also told my dad to go look at the car and get a better description of where it is leaking from. Thanks for the quick replies!
dfraccica01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

Hi,

Did you find out what it was?? I have the exact same problem. I have some oily fluid leaking from below the passenger front wheel. It is hard to tell, but I am guessing it is brake fluid.

Thanks in advanced.
supertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Anyone else experienced this??

supertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote